Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with rear end clunk

Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a clunk. it was my after market mbrp exhaust tip hitting the underneath area of my jeep.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
You might think i'm crazy, but it might not be anything under the Jeep in the Rear end.

Reason being; I had the exact same thing happen to me. After examining EVERYTHING, i found what was knocking. Check to make sure that the Jack in the trunk is tight. I used mine for some odd job and put it back but it had slid to the passenger side and after a few times turning and the thing going back and fourth it bent the stop piece that gets wedged up into the bracket where the jack gets tightened up into, thus When i made turns or flexed, the jack was sliding to either side hitting the compartment walls and making a knock sound like i had a loose wheel or track bar. It drove me crazy! Check your Jack to make sure it's not doing the same thing mine was.

and Good luck!
Thanks, that was one of the first things I checked and removed it and evrything in the back storage box but clunky was still there.

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
i had a clunk. it was my after market mbrp exhaust tip hitting the underneath area of my jeep.
Thanks,checked that too. I have OEM exhaust and all is secure.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had a closer look at the track bar tower today. It was really hard to notice but both u-bolts weren't exactly straight like it has been moving. I had paint marked all 4 tower bolt nuts months ago and they hadn't moved a bit. I tried torquing on them some more just for shits and was able to get them about another 1/4" tighter. wtf?

Went out and tested it out going fast around corners and over rutted snowy roads and sliding from snow cover to pavement to flex the backend and surprise, no clunk so far. I am keeping the fingers crossed and see how it is over the next few days but I think I'm definitely gettin that tower welded in and spring perch wedges too.

Virtual beer for everyone's who replied.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

The damn clunk is back, probably never went away. Maybe I just didn't hear it. Whatever the case I'm getting that track bar tower welded on next week and checking if any of the mounting holes are wallowed out. Have some spring perch wedges on order too.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK so this may be way out in left field but I had clunking around corners and over bumps also, It was driving me crazy...It turned out to be.....are you ready????? my drivers side seat bolts were loose about 4 turns.. Don't know how but they were and clunking gone...

I sure would love this to be your problem 1. its an easy fix. 2. the people that thought to themselfs "thats the stupidist thing Ive ever heard" would praise me now.. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just an update

Well, had the rear track bar tower bracket welded in place,checked trackbar holes and bracket holes for wallowing and they are fine and spring perch wedges installed but the clunk is still there. I think it's back to turning on the radio when going over really bumpy terrain for this one.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check the hinges on the rear gate. Mine was doing the same thing, especially on rutted roads and the dealer replaced my hinges free of charge. The spare had just worn them out, and it was a stock sahara 32".
Old 11-09-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure how old this thread is, but here is one more thing you can try... I was noticing the same clunk, driver side rear after my 4" lift. Turned out to be the sway bar link hitting the hard part of the brake line after the drop brackets moved it down. Saw the scrapes on the SBL. Simply rotated the drop bracket out of the way. Something to try!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

I vote rear gate hinges as well. My clunk was annoying as hell for more than a year.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
I vote rear gate hinges as well. My clunk was annoying as hell for more than a year.
Found this today,

The symptoms seem very similar to what you have all been discussing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Shock Bracket 1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	503383Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Shock Bracket 2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	503384

Quick Reply: Need help with rear end clunk