Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need input on buying a used programmer

Old 07-21-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on buying a used programmer

Hey all, I'm just looking for some quick pointers on what to look for when purchasing a used programmer. I've came across an absolute STEAL on a user Hypertech programmer, but I have ZERO experience with programmers. I'm waiting on word back from the guy on whether or not it's been reset or not. Is there anything else I need to be on the lookout for? From what i've read, it's pretty costly to have Hypertech themselves do the reset. Like, expensive enough that i'd be better off buying one new! Just looking for some pointers, thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Have them update it for you and return it to stock. So you can try it out before you hand over the cash. Any time i have sold one i would find out what they had and do a quick check for updates which are free and then let them do a quick install to make sure it was good and not corrupt. Then I would get cash and let them go from there
Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

x2. When I sold my flashpaq, I had the buyer plug it into his JK so he knew it was not VIN locked to mine before handing over the money.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great advice so far.... So, if I meet this guy about this one, i'd be wise to plug it in to mine before buying. Once I plug it in, what should I be looking for to signify whether or not it's locked? Like I said, I have ZERO experience with programmers.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Once you plug it in you will know if it is locked to their vehicle or out of date and will work for yours.

Quick Reply: Need input on buying a used programmer