Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on which lift for new jku

Old 04-30-2016, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea, we will get with Chesapeake jeep club and bug other jeepers for a ride.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Local Jeep shop that has been in business since 1954 and carries just about every lift manufacturer under the sun swears by Metal Cloak.
Say it's the best riding, best handling, no complaints, no warranty returns kit going.
I was already leaning that way, and with their endorsement bit the bullet.
I'm totally satisfied.
It rides a little more firm than stock, but without harshness, corners flat, and runs straight as an arrow. No funny business off road all flexed out, stable, rock solid. Recently got to tear it up in some higher speed washes and unimproved dirt roads (up over 60mph at times... no air or that sort of thing... but hauling along in uneven and rough terrain just the same)... rig was flawless... outside the factory electric nannies cutting in on the fun.
I went with the OME shock version based on years of OME experience in an XJ.
Cannot imagine anyone being displeased with the setup... well, maybe hardcore prerunner types would need more... but they would need more "total rig" than a bolt on setup.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

With a 2.5 or 3" lift what else am I looking at? New drive train? I assume we will need to re-gear since it's automatic trans. Any changes to steering or break lines?
Old 04-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

At 2.5" on things at RC- yes, you'll want longer lines in the rear. EBay has brand new stainless steel lines, name brand, for $17. I bought two pairs to go with my lift.

Steering doesn't "need" to be addressed, but coming up on 3" you'll be in the drag link flip territory. You'll also need a smaller diameter driveshaft or exhaust spacers with the pentastar motor.

I vote keep it simple with 2.5". Another forum is doing an event at Rausch on May 14th if you want to head up and get a look at what's working where.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

My AEV lift 31/2 inch on 33s drives like a dream and way better than stock.
Only lift I've had so not sure I can compare to much but sure read about a lot of crummy ones

Zimmy5280
Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 PM
JK Newbie

I have the metalcloak 3.5" lift and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's firmer than stock but not jarring at all, Just firmer. The jeep feels very stable and corners great. I have only about 6 weeks of driving on the lift now and have only been able to take it on a washed out fire road as far as off road use goes but it did great. I have the complete game changer kit with both adjustable track bars.
I do get a little bump steer with this lift so I am going to be getting the metalcloak high steer kit as well.
I hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

I had a 2.5" Rock Krawler mid-arm X-factor on my '09. I like the way the ride was and when I traded in for a '14 JKUR I got a 3.5" X-factor and have 37" cooper STT Pros. I debated the metal cloak lift but ultimately went with RK due to cost.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Rockrawler 2.5 or 3.5 with Rancho 9000's adjustables...tire pressure at 29psi or 30psi THE END
Old 05-02-2016, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sierra141
Rockrawler 2.5 or 3.5 with Rancho 9000's adjustables...tire pressure at 29psi or 30psi THE END
i have an EVO kit and rancho 9000. Swapped out my coils for the RK triple rates. Had them installed for less than a week before swapping them back. On road quality is not even close. Almost same height, shocks and all other components exactly the same. Had it aligned and all #s caster, toe, etc were almost exact.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mds22
i have an EVO kit and rancho 9000. Swapped out my coils for the RK triple rates. Had them installed for less than a week before swapping them back. On road quality is not even close. Almost same height, shocks and all other components exactly the same. Had it aligned and all #s caster, toe, etc were almost exact.
I did the same with the EVO coils and thought the same. Just proves how subjective ride is.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on which lift for new jku