Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help: Difficulty trying to turn the steering wheel left.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help: Difficulty trying to turn the steering wheel left.

Hey Guys, I bought a used rubi and put about 500 miles on it and noticed a strange issue. I was wondering if anyone had an idea why I wouldn't be able to turn left while stopped or going slow thru a parking lot? I can crank on it,but the wheel won't turn.
-Turning the wheel right is 100% fine at any speed.
-Steering left is always fine above 10mph.

I've taken the Steering stabilizer off to ensure it wasn't causing interference, It was dented and needed replaced anyway.
Once I took the SS off I had death wobble so I went thru planmans guide and was able to solve it by putting in the proper sized bolts (Northridge Bolt Kit) and torque them to spec. No more wobble with the SS removed.

2007 2 Door Rubicon
52,xxx miles
2.5" Coil Spacers with longer shocks.
33x12.5x18 Nitto Terra grapplers
NEW Synergy Tie Rod and Drag link.
NEW Fox ATS SS

I replaced the Tie Rod and Drag Link thinking they were the cause, but it's still happening. Any ideas before I have to bend over and take it to the dealership?

Causes:
Power Steering Pump?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Just a quick stupid question here.....
If you jack up the front wheels and using all precautions start the motor, will it turn left at idle with the wheels off the ground?
Have you checked your power steering fluid levels?
Does it turn ok when you are at speed?
Has anyone messed with the suspension or is it stock?
When you crank left but the wheels dont turn do you hear the power steering pump whining or screaming like it will at full right lock?

I have kind of the same thing and that is why i ask. Mine is a 08 rubi that was super abused so i'm not sure if its steering pump dropping pressure or a damaged box.

Dave
Old 03-16-2014, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Dave, all great questions. I have answers to most.

When I put the axle on jack stands it turns just fine. 100% of the time.

Fluids are good.

I get some scary steering situations at low speed Usually under 10mph. This happens 25% of the time.

I bought it used about 4 months ago and put on about 500 miles on it. Previous owner put a 2.5" budget boost on it. There are quite a few dents on the factory skid and front crash bar. I think it was mildly abused.

I get very minor power steering pump whine at 100% turn but nothing scary.

I'm out of ideas and going to take it to my dealer on Tuesday. I'll update this post once I get an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2014, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you are certain that all off the steering components have an uninterrupted path to move in both directions, then it's a seal in your steering gear. You're losing power assist at lower speeds because the pump is pumping slower and your worn or damaged seal does not allow enough pressure to build. If an internal seal fails, you may or may not have a fluid leak at the pitman arm or input shaft seal as well. However you'll certainly lose power assist in one or both directions depending on which seal fails.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
If you are certain that all off the steering components have an uninterrupted path to move in both directions, then it's a seal in your steering gear. You're losing power assist at lower speeds because the pump is pumping slower and your worn or damaged seal does not allow enough pressure to build. If an internal seal fails, you may or may not have a fluid leak at the pitman arm or input shaft seal as well. However you'll certainly lose power assist in one or both directions depending on which seal fails.
I just wanted to update this thread. Txjeeplover was correct. Steering gear box was the issue. Thankfully I had an extended warranty and it was covered by the dealer minus the $100 deductible. Invoice would of been just under $1,000 to replace it otherwise!!!!!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for getting back to everyone. I guessed as much as my 2 buddies who are wrenching gods came over tonight and both said the same thing about mine. Glad it all worked out for you.

Dave
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Are you just going to get yours rebuilt then Dave (PSC or Redneck Ram)? That's what I was going to do if my warranty claim was denied.

Quick Reply: Need some help: Difficulty trying to turn the steering wheel left.