Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 07 Magnaflow Exhaust at 4wd.com

Old 12-26-2006, 04:09 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK4ME
It is listed on the 4wd.com website but not Magnaflow. Anyone have details. Is it actually out yet. http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?q=magnaflow%20jk

I think these are in, my wife was talking to me about them,...

I wasnt listening all that well. so I'll ask her when she gets to work..

I wonder if it relocates the muffler.. Thats what I would want if I'm buying a new set up..
Old 12-26-2006, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can totally understand Eric´s point of view, but I must disagree on certain points. While I think his exhaust is the model I will strive to replicate, if I were to replace my exhaust system (which I will as soon as I have something to replace) I think mandrel-bent tubing is worth the extra money, as is stainless steel. I lived 1/2 my life up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and I know first-hand the corrosive effects from the salt on the roads. An aluminized exhaust system has a life-span of about 3-4 years tops when exposed to road salt. Why in the world would anybody who lives where there is snow replace their exhaust system (which I believe comes from the factory as stainless) with inferior grade steel tubing which will only have to be replaced in 3-4 years due to corrosion? Not me, when I lived in CA 4 years ago and it was time to replace my exhaust on the XJ, I insisted on stainless or nothing at all. Now I live in NC in the mountains where they use salt in the winter, and I´m SO glad I did as the exhaust is 5 years old and still in great shape.

Now, I do not recommend going with the Magnaflow cat back system for these reasons alone . . . I feel any good muffler shop should be able to get stainless steel tubing AND be able to mandrel bend it. If not, I would look for a different shop that can do it. If none are in your area, THEN I would recommend using the Magnaflow system. Either way, I agree with Eric that the Magnaflow muffler seems to be the way to go!! I think, though that you'd be smarter going with a smaller diameter mandrel bent tube (more efficient), than to go with a larger diameter tube that is NOT mandrel bent (less efficient) if you´re worried about maintaining an adequate amount of backpressure.

And those are MY two cents worth, backed by years of FORD and Chevy engine building (never needed to rebuild my bullet-proof 4.0L), mud/dirt drag racing, and off-roading experience.

Tom
Vacationing in Lima, Peru

P.S. Hope everyone remembered the reason for the season! CHEERS!!!

Last edited by SpudRacer; 12-26-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Well, living in Michigan, I would probably want Hastelloy or some other high chromium alloy, to hell with SS.

But in coastal Virginia, it snows once a year, maybe, and the road crews use sand, not salt, because it is much cheaper when you have it in abundance.

Between this and the liftime warranty, I feel good about getting 6-8 years out of it, at which point the magnaflow cat back will be readily available, and maybe a little cheaper. Either way, I will have most other mods out of the way or at least paid for then, so the building budget won't get in the way.

So definitely consider where you live, your budget and goals, and the fact that people doing it both ways are happy with their results.

By the way, where is everyone getting their Airaids? I'm about to order from Quadratec. Anyone found anything cheaper or better for some reason? Thanks!
Old 12-26-2006, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
I can totally understand Eric´s point of view, but I must disagree on certain points. While I think his exhaust is the model I will strive to replicate, if I were to replace my exhaust system (which I will as soon as I have something to replace) I think mandrel-bent tubing is worth the extra money, as is stainless steel. I lived 1/2 my life up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and I know first-hand the corrosive effects from the salt on the roads. An aluminized exhaust system has a life-span of about 3-4 years tops when exposed to road salt. Why in the world would anybody who lives where there is snow replace their exhaust system (which I believe comes from the factory as stainless) with inferior grade steel tubing which will only have to be replaced in 3-4 years due to corrosion? Not me, when I lived in CA 4 years ago and it was time to replace my exhaust on the XJ, I insisted on stainless or nothing at all. Now I live in NC in the mountains where they use salt in the winter, and I´m SO glad I did as the exhaust is 5 years old and still in great shape.

Now, I do not recommend going with the Magnaflow cat back system for these reasons alone . . . I feel any good muffler shop should be able to get stainless steel tubing AND be able to mandrel bend it. If not, I would look for a different shop that can do it. If none are in your area, THEN I would recommend using the Magnaflow system. Either way, I agree with Eric that the Magnaflow muffler seems to be the way to go!! I think, though that you'd be smarter going with a smaller diameter mandrel bent tube (more efficient), than to go with a larger diameter tube that is NOT mandrel bent (less efficient) if you´re worried about maintaining an adequate amount of backpressure.

And those are MY two cents worth, backed by years of FORD and Chevy engine building (never needed to rebuild my bullet-proof 4.0L), mud/dirt drag racing, and off-roading experience.

Tom
Vacationing in Lima, Peru

P.S. Hope everyone remembered the reason for the season! CHEERS!!!
Hey, thanks for the insights. Nothing like a healthy debate!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
By the way, where is everyone getting their Airaids? I'm about to order from Quadratec. Anyone found anything cheaper or better for some reason? Thanks!
I haven't got mine yet, but this place is a bit cheaper, but they are not forum sponsers either.
http://www.performancecenter.com/pro.../Wrangler/3.8L
Old 12-26-2006, 09:43 AM
JK Jedi Master

the wife said its due in at the end of the month.(january)
Old 12-26-2006, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow. Thanks for all the info. I still have a few months until I pick mine up, Apr, when I get back to Cape Cod, Mass. Can't wait.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

i do kinda regret going with the true duals as how I lost a signifigant amount of backpressure as opposed to the one pipe, but its only a slight change in pony's too small to feel under the pedal, and besides I really like the look of the duals coming out the back!
Old 12-26-2006, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ericdewayne
i do kinda regret going with the true duals as how I lost a signifigant amount of backpressure as opposed to the one pipe, but its only a slight change in pony's too small to feel under the pedal, and besides I really like the look of the duals coming out the back!
have to say the duals look bad *ss

Quick Reply: New 07 Magnaflow Exhaust at 4wd.com