Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dana 44 Front Axle

Old 08-03-2015, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bleachbone
The problem is Ive already bent my front 30, dont really want to buy another one. I was planning to sleeve/truss/gusset it but I had already bent it.
I understand. A D30 tube alone, reusing your gears, carrier, bearings, etc is less expensive than switching to D44 but... That said, there is less stress on the gears in a D44 due to their increased diameter. So if you intend to put in higher gears than 4.88 or have larger tires than 35's, you should definitely go D44.

Whatever you decide, enjoy.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler1979
we recommend
Looks like we forgot to log in under our Dynatrac account...
Old 08-05-2015, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Lol! 😉
Old 08-05-2015, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the massive post of info man! I think ive decided on a 44 for right now. I can always truss/sleeve/gusset/rcv shaft and all that Jazz down the line. Not to mention an amazing deal on a well built XJ just popped up in my area, will probably snag it for a crawler build! Not going with a 60 will definitely ease the pain in my wallet, and keep some weight off my fatass of a jeep lol. Thank you guys very much!

Last edited by Bleachbone; 08-05-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bleachbone, you’ve asked some great questions and it looks like you’re really doing the research to make the best choice for your JK. There has also been some great info posted by others here.

We like that you’re thinking past how the Jeep is built right now and how you will realistically build it and use it. We make a ProRock 44 Unlimited front axle housing that has ˝-inch thick wall thickness and 3-inch tubes that will work with most rigs with tires up to 38-inch diameter. We say most because adding V8 power and an inspired use of the throttle, may make you a better candidate for our ProRock 60 axle which can handle this abuse and more. We offer two versions of the ProRock 44 – one that accepts stock Jeep Dana 44 Rubicon locker and axleshafts, and one that accepts common aftermarket differentials – since you have a Dana 30, we recommend the one that takes aftermarket differentials. We can build it with the differential of your choice, as can most of our dealers.

Switching to a 60-based axle is more of a commitment because it requires more change and comes at a higher cost. But it’s the right thing to do if you think a ProRock 44 might be just on the edge for how you want to build your Jeep. And if you’re already buying a differential and other parts that many of our ProRock 44 customers don’t need, it is definitely worth considering.

Here’s an article that gives some more information about the various axle options for Jeeps that you might find useful: Comparing Axle Upgrade Options for Your Jeep Wrangler JK, Rubicon, TJ, YJ and XJ Cherokee | Dynatrac Tech Info and News

We make the all of our axles in the US and we have propriety design and technology – no one can offer more ground clearance, and no one has better quality. We say we deliver the Confidence to Explore because we provide you with an axle that best fits your needs so you don’t have to worry about axle failure again.

Quick Reply: New Dana 44 Front Axle