Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum and asking for advice for buying a JK for overland modification

Old 09-27-2016, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by racezx9
Thanks for the response guys, it's very helpful. I fat fingered my post and I meant to say 35" tires. I would probably go with 17 or 18 inch wheel give me room for better brake later maybe due to the added weight of overland built. I envision going off road for primarily for overland travel and camping purpose. I want something that can't handle most rugged terrain and allow me to get to where I want to go without concern and carry some creature comfort and peace of mind. I don't expect to go and do extreme challenges of rock crawling or mudding for the purpose for challenging my built. I would want good road behavior in the mountain roads and good durability and capability and stability off road. A tough combination. I figure I ask everyone experience and see. My fear is I buy a Rubicon and end up with nothing original and could have spend the money on the built instead. Another expensive hobby that I got my head wrapped around....lol any suggestion and wisdom is welcome in this case. I was looking at the MetalCloak Game changer lift as well. Any thoughts on that ?
MetalCloak is Seems to be popular among the over-landing crowd, along with AEV.

My 2 cents: I bought a 2015 Sport. Bought a brand new Rubicon crate axle for the front for $2,400. Kept the stock rear 44, and threw an Eaton locker in when I regeared the axles. Total cost:$5,300 for the gears, rear locker, and front axle. I plan on buying the Rubi t-case once I can find one (my buddy found one off a 2013 for $900). Moral of the story: I'm still under what a stock Rubicon costs. Buy a Sport and maximize the value of your $$.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

There is a thread somewhere on here, I think in the show and tell section with just overland modded jeeps. You might check that thread out and see what they all have/run. I know there is a member on here named Grenadeacorn that has a really nice overland style jeep. It's a Sahara model that he built up and it does really well. For overlanding it is a perfect rig and he's put it in some scenario's that aren't so "overland style" and he did just fine. I'd recommend checking his rig out for ideas. It's pretty sweet.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...see-em-181613/

Last edited by mdash; 09-27-2016 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added link
Old 09-27-2016, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Another question I have, how much difference does the higher power pen tasty V6 make in choosing the axle ratio? I know a lower is better but with the new 285 HP engine does it matter as much between 3.26 and 3.73?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:19 PM
RBA
JK Newbie

I wanted a Jeep that did it all, from Overlanding to rock crawling...I purchased a Rubicon from the beginning. Lockers in my opinion are a must. Having a 4:1 transfer case is great for crawling but only good for Overlanding (it was a compromise I was willing to make). I also get the disconnecting sway bar which helps with the ride offroad.

My truck has a 3.5" lift Gamechanger from Metalcloak with the ARB/OME shocks. New front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears with 37" tires, Warn winch, roof rack with a roof top tent, awning. For the Interior, space is at a premium, so I have a shelf in the rear and a sliding tray. I'm probably forgetting a few things. (steel flares)

For me, within the timeframe I wanted, a fully loaded Rubicon made sense. At some point I will still need to address certain components due to the 37" tires but I'm usually gentle on my stuff compared to the average Joe. So after a season, I will upgrade the front end.

Don't forget about time, hassle and labor of some of these upgrades. If you can space things out over a long timeframe, do most if not all things yourself, then it makes sense. I did a fair bit of the work myself and still hired a shop for certain things. It still took me a couple of months to get things to this stage and I was really pushing it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6840-X2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	657634  
Old 09-29-2016, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RBA
I wanted a Jeep that did it all, from Overlanding to rock crawling...I purchased a Rubicon from the beginning. Lockers in my opinion are a must. Having a 4:1 transfer case is great for crawling but only good for Overlanding (it was a compromise I was willing to make). I also get the disconnecting sway bar which helps with the ride offroad.

My truck has a 3.5" lift Gamechanger from Metalcloak with the ARB/OME shocks. New front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears with 37" tires, Warn winch, roof rack with a roof top tent, awning. For the Interior, space is at a premium, so I have a shelf in the rear and a sliding tray. I'm probably forgetting a few things. (steel flares)

For me, within the timeframe I wanted, a fully loaded Rubicon made sense. At some point I will still need to address certain components due to the 37" tires but I'm usually gentle on my stuff compared to the average Joe. So after a season, I will upgrade the front end.

Don't forget about time, hassle and labor of some of these upgrades. If you can space things out over a long timeframe, do most if not all things yourself, then it makes sense. I did a fair bit of the work myself and still hired a shop for certain things. It still took me a couple of months to get things to this stage and I was really pushing it.

Love your truck. I was thinking the Rubicon Hard rock and the metalcloake game changer 3.5 lift and 35 inch tires. with the hard rock it seems the bumper is set and the gearing at 4.10 is okay start. on 35 inch tires using stock wheels.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

So i decided to go for a new Rubicon Hardrock edition and get it mostly loaded up as an starting point. I figure I trade in Acura MDX for it. I originally thought I keep both one for daily commute and one for adventure. But, looking at the situation, I would end up driving the Jeep mostly, just because why not and I would have a vehicle that is 75% there and it would be less time and effort to slowly build it the way I eventually want it and not to mention as a starting point and taking my time I would probably learn allot more about my needs over time and put in the right mods.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

One thing I've found is that as I've done more overlanding my Jeep has gotten heavier. That means that what worked for me in the beginning (2.5" TF lift, but they didn't offer their overlanding lift at that time) stopped working for me later on. I'm on my fourth set of rear springs in this order: OEM, TF, OME, OME HD, and third set of front springs in this order: OEM, TF, OME. I moved to OME because they make it pretty easy to choose different spring rates for the front and rear of the Jeep. I have plenty of friends running other lifts with no problems like me, so some of that is undoubtedly because I do run quite heavy. You may not follow that path, but it's worth thinking about.

I like TF products and got many miles and years out of that first set of shocks (about 8 years, 175,000 miles). When I replaced them, I was looking for a better set of shocks performance-wise, so went with the adjustable Rancho 9000s. 50,000 miles later and I've had to replace two--one because it started leaking (warranty), and one because I hit a pothole on Burr Trail while racing to catch the ferry across Lake Powell, literally breaking the shock (my fault--but I did make the ferry!). The adjustable feature of those, however, has proven disappointing: Yes, there is a knob to adjust them, but after a period of time that knob freezes up and so you're best to set it for the ride you'll like for all usage. That knob is also exposed to possible damage if sliding off a rock. Not sure about other brands, just the Ranchos.

You can check out what else I have in my Jeep with the link in my signature below. If interested, you can check out how I use it on my YouTube channel. Note that my friend Ray, who you'll see in some of the videos, runs a similarly equipped 2012 JK, but on 33 inch tires instead of 35s (which I run). If you're undecided on tires size, that may help you decide between those two tire sizes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalByDoiron
The following users liked this post:
TrailBadger (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 03:28 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark Doiron

Thank much for posting this relative information about the lifetime of your suspension system as this give others a clear indication that adjustments do need to be made within the said life time of those items which tend to wear out before their time.

Although I'm posting within the Rockkralwer tech section by no means does this mean we're going to stay with this system as it's more of a starter system to us and could change at any point in time. Our off roading or overlanding may not be as extreme as you're because we're viewing our build more as an upgraded softroader.

Common knowledge seems to indicate that a hard or coils suspension upgrade would be best suited for our build as the coils would last (or are suppose to last) a life time. with your above assessment, one clearly can see that things don't always last as one would have expected.

Again, we are perfectly happy with our section and will make any necessary adjustments to the system if needed or necessary.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TrailBadger
Mark Doiron

Thank much for posting this relative information about the lifetime of your suspension system as this give others a clear indication that adjustments do need to be made within the said life time of those items which tend to wear out before their time.

Although I'm posting within the Rockkralwer tech section by no means does this mean we're going to stay with this system as it's more of a starter system to us and could change at any point in time. Our off roading or overlanding may not be as extreme as you're because we're viewing our build more as an upgraded softroader.

Common knowledge seems to indicate that a hard or coils suspension upgrade would be best suited for our build as the coils would last (or are suppose to last) a life time. with your above assessment, one clearly can see that things don't always last as one would have expected.

Again, we are perfectly happy with our section and will make any necessary adjustments to the system if needed or necessary.

I like your nickname ! May I assist you with a little grammatical band-aid, friend?

I'd try something such as this :

" Thank-you for posting this relevant information regarding the approximate life expectancy of your suspension system.This data could aid other members who have or own these components. It could serve to remind them that , during the time these parts are installed on thier vehicles, some of the high-wear items may need to frequently be checked & ,if necessary , re-adjustments made during the vehicle's regular maintenance periods."

Now, isn't that helpful?

See? not everyone is out to get you.

Such useful information should not wear a tarnish of less-than-awesome grammar. I corrected your first awesome paragraph for free.

Now you try ; English is fun when properly done!

Quick Reply: New to forum and asking for advice for buying a JK for overland modification