Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New JK and Lift recommendations

Old 02-19-2017, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New JK and Lift recommendations

Ok gang, getting a new 2017 4dr JK this week and have been researching lifts. My 2008 had a 2 1/2" Teraflex that I loved. My research now has me leaning towards the Rubicon Express 3 1/2" short arm with mono shocks and the works. The dealer in my area uses the same lift and farms it out to the same vendor but charges a ton more. So, any issues with this lift? I will be running 35 12.5 R17 with rims with 4.75 back spacing. Any issues with this set up?
Old 02-19-2017, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Kinda new back to the forum...

Not sure why no one has responded but I assure you I am not a vender. LOL Sold my 08 in 15. 3 Boys in college is tough but now I'm down to 1 left at Baylor. Time for Dad to get his toy back!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Nobody is responding because the rubicon express is not a reputable brand. On to your question of the wheels- there's quite a few threads on wheels, any of them should have your answer. I wish I could be more help but I built basic with stock wheels.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wow...first to hear this....

Wow...that is interesting...can you give me any direction to documentation or more info? Very disconcerting...

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Nobody is responding because the rubicon express is not a reputable brand. On to your question of the wheels- there's quite a few threads on wheels, any of them should have your answer. I wish I could be more help but I built basic with stock wheels.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Something like - they went bankrupt because of quality iussues. Then were bought out by transamerican/4wp to use as the go-to house brand they push on everyone who walks through the door. Some people seem to like their lifts, others do not. Best bet is to just search and read through a bunch of other reviews. (from people who actually run them, not just people who dislike 4wp and/or RE...)

For the backspacing, the faq's and most lift mfg's suggest 4.5" for 35x12.50's. But, then you consider that there are variations in lift height, load, actual measured tire height and width, etc, etc. Take a chance. You 'should' be ok with 4.75". If not, add a washer to the steer stops, or trim, or whatever.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The search function is limited on the phone but I've seen my fair share of folks selling their rubi express stuff to go to new kits. I've actually got a friend that completely threw his RE in the trash. He jumped on the Rock Krawler bandwagon but the jeep does ride a ton better and it has more articulation.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If it were me I would stick with what worked for you in the past. There is nothing wrong with Teraflex. I went with Clayton Offroad because they only do jeep products have very beefy products and they are a company building products in the US. Everyone is different but like I said if you liked your previous kit I'd go back to that.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

What research is pushing towards Rubicon express? Price? Surely not the components it uses, or the completeness of the kit. 3.5" lift for 35's? Mono shocks?
what is appealing about it vs a kit like metal cloak, currie, off road evolution, or the slew of other quality us made kits out there?
Old 02-20-2017, 05:20 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you would like to know more about Rock Krawler products, you can call Chad in the office and speak to him about our products and point in the right direction!!

Thanks RK
Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

if you like the way the teraflex did on your old rig go with it.. still a very reputable company with great product and warranty... Go up a step to Rock Krawler... 2.5 stock mod is great.. triple rate springs, match up with Bilstein shocks and your rig will be SOLID!.. If you need some one to install there are a few great shops around Houston the will be A LOT better than any 4WP... JS

Quick Reply: New JK and Lift recommendations