Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Lift

Old 12-07-2016, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Lift

Just installed a RK 2.5 lift and I am getting some noise- movement from the front track bar. I also notice shiny metal by both bolts where it's moving (1/16"). Do I just need to torque it down more or is there a way to lessen the slop in the hole. Jeep has 10k miles.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsebeater
Just installed a RK 2.5 lift and I am getting some noise- movement from the front track bar. I also notice shiny metal by both bolts where it's moving (1/16"). Do I just need to torque it down more or is there a way to lessen the slop in the hole. Jeep has 10k miles.
With only 10k miles, I can't believe the holes on your brackets are wallowed out at all. Bolts on both ends of that TB should be torqued down to 125 ft lbs, and maybe just a lil extra. If you're getting any noise, I'm guessing it's from the axle side and you just don't have it tight enough. It doesn't have to be under torqued by very much before you'll hear a popping sound as you turn and the axle shifts. It's not a bad idea to reinforce that frame side bracket with something beefy like the synergy bracket. Also, RK suggest you just hit that axle side heim joint with some fluid film from time to time for lubrication. I would note that FF is penetrating, it gets down in the threads of the bolt and it loosens up over a short period of time. It's a little counter intuitive. If you choose to spray it with FF as suggested, you might want to put some loctite on that axle side bolt to keep it tight. You do NOT want to have loose bolts with holding your TB on!

Last edited by resharp001; 12-07-2016 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree about the slop in the holes, should still be like new. I was thinking of some weld in washers to fix it, made from something more durable than mild steel.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Y, welding on some washers is the inexpensive fix if you don't mind going that route. Anything that helps reinforce that hole is better than nothing. You shouldn't have much movement at all in that TB when you turn side to side while stationary. If you're seeing movement or hearing a slight popping sound, you need to tighten things up.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

How hard would an aftermarket bracket be to install?
Old 12-07-2016, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

How hard would an aftermarket bracket be to install?
The Synergy bracket is an easy bolt on. Bolts on using the screws for the steering box, IIRC one little one through the back of the bracket, and then the main one through the TB itself. Depending on your set up, might be a little cumbersome working around the driver's side spring getting a couple of those steering bolts back in, but it's just a full bolt on procedure. It's a little bit peace of mind just getting that frame side bracket reinforced a bit with something....one way or another. Nothing wrong with the washer method either....or just using scrap 3/16" you might have around.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

How about the axel side?

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Just noticed Ace now makes a frame side bracket I don't think I'd noticed before. bit cheaper than Synergy, and looks like less chance of interfering with driver's spring -

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...ck-bar-support

Lots of different ways to address the axle side, and a lot depends on build. You're only 2.5" high, so not really in the market for a high steer kit which would provide a bracket anyhow. If a truss is ever in the plans, you'd just do a new bracket with that. Otherwise, there are various options out there. You'd just want to make sure to stay with something that reinforces your current factory height.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Just noticed Ace now makes a frame side bracket I don't think I'd noticed before. bit cheaper than Synergy, and looks like less chance of interfering with driver's spring - https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...ck-bar-support Lots of different ways to address the axle side, and a lot depends on build. You're only 2.5" high, so not really in the market for a high steer kit which would provide a bracket anyhow. If a truss is ever in the plans, you'd just do a new bracket with that. Otherwise, there are various options out there. You'd just want to make sure to stay with something that reinforces your current factory height.
Its because it doesnt have option for a sector shaft support... Nice find.

TF makes a simple plate thats cheap and bolts on over the front of the stock bracket .
Old 12-13-2016, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a thread I was reading the other day.

Take a look it may be beneficial
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...le-fix-338783/

Quick Reply: New Lift