Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Line of bumpers and rails coming but want your input!

Old 01-27-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I want a stinger that allows a 20" light bar mounted between it. I've had a heck of a time figuring out how to mount mine
Old 01-27-2015, 06:37 PM
Former Vendor

Default New line of bumpers......

Thanks for all the feedback. Please keep it coming. I agree with most of these comments, bumpers are becoming all the same, but the most common theme is make it strong and less expensive. What number is less expensive? The other thought was to focus on aluminum. Let's face it, when we wheel and bang a corner or rock rail or a fender it is what it is. We know it's going to happen. Can we say the same for the front and rear bumpers? I know that bumpers are not as strong with aluminum (and neither is carbon fiber) but if they shed some pounds is this better? Let me ask you another question. How many are using their JK's as daily drivers and are running stubby's? Does the safety or lack there of safety concern anyone? I have been in a little fender bender and my 37's helped me, the civic, not so much.

Please keep the comment coming it's very helpful to my team.

Oh, one more question.....How about provisions for LED bars for the front and rear? Actually installing it in the bumper....6" 10" 20". Would you like being able to put light bars in the bumper? This is something that I have been focusing on but would like you thoughts as well.

Josh

Last edited by Overland Off-Road; 01-27-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like steel, but a lighter alloy that is strong enough to take abuse is an intriguing idea. Mid width, with optional removable sides for those that live in states that have made stubbies illegal. Fitting a 10 or 20 is not a concern. I mounted my 10" above my fairlead. Foglight cutouts a must, ensuring they can fit duallies w/ a bracket. I would like to see tabs to run duallies at the corners to turn them at an angle (I have seen this on my neighbor's aftermarket Raptor bumper). License plate mount is another part that there are aftermarket alternatives that fit on the fairlead. Hoop or stinger, but I would like to see it where you can remove it and switch it to the other if you decide later for the other (if it can hold up to impacts). Any bumper needs to have recovery points, unless you are targeting the car show crowd. I like my Poison Spyder brawler lite, but wish I would have bought the stinger, instead of the brawler. I also would prefer that the winch was sunk in more. It would be better, if at design, you ensure it can fit a Zeon winch, especially if it is a recessed winch plate. When designing, have it stick out the least amount possible, and still fit a winch.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Overland Off-Road
Thanks for all the feedback. Please keep it coming. I agree with most of these comments, bumpers are becoming all the same, but the most common theme is make it strong and less expensive. What number is less expensive? The other thought was to focus on aluminum. Let's face it, when we wheel and bang a corner or rock rail or a fender it is what it is. We know it's going to happen. Can we say the same for the front and rear bumpers? I know that bumpers are not as strong with aluminum (and neither is carbon fiber) but if they shed some pounds is this better? Let me ask you another question. How many are using their JK's as daily drivers and are running stubby's? Does the safety or lack there of safety concern anyone? I have been in a little fender bender and my 37's helped me, the civic, not so much.

Please keep the comment coming it's very helpful to my team.

Oh, one more question.....How about provisions for LED bars for the front and rear? Actually installing it in the bumper....6" 10" 20". Would you like being able to put light bars in the bumper? This is something that I have been focusing on but would like you thoughts as well.

Josh
I may have to see what you have in stock, do you have a showroom in MD?

I vote steel all the way. I came down on a rock a few weeks ago with all the weight of the rear of my Jeep. Aluminum would have crumpled, making a $600-$900 purchase useless.

I use my jeep as a DD and run a stubby front stinger. The lack of the extra width doesn't both me, I just drive carefully in this crazy Northern VA traffic.

LED's in the rear would be great for backing up, LED's in the front don't offer quite the same appeal to me. (unless they are rock lights?) However, options for mounting light bars should be considered up front (holes on the outside edges/tabs on the tubes)

Last edited by JK505; 01-27-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

If the LEDs are incorporated into the bumper, I would want them to be mounted from the back, that way you don't break them when you hit something.

I DD mine with the PSC midwidth and 37s. I figure if I hit something, I'm going over.

If you decide to incorporate a tire mount onto the bumper, it would be nice to have a way to mount rotopax, or use the existing available mounts on the market. I think I remember reading that in some states, it is illegal to have more than 2 reverse lights. I don't think it would be enough to stop most from running the bumper, but it was just a thought.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Before I through in my two cents, I have to say that I already purchased a front bumper, and as it is the second aftermarket front bumper I have had, I did learn a few things swapping from one to the other.

I am in the minority, at least I think, in that my first requirement was that it be a full width.

When I get around to purchasing a rear bumper this will be the first requirement again.

My recommendations:

For all Jeep items, keep it as close to a simple bolt-on installation as possible. a lot of people will shy away if they hear that they are going to have to take a grinder to their nice new jeep (even if it is just a little trimming to the crasher/crossmember thing.

keep it simple, I think mounting a light-bar in the bumper would be cool, if it could be done while keeping the bumper streamline. Also, recess mounting the winch is becoming a more popular route, which gives the winch less leverage to put strain on the bumper, but reduces the room for other accessories mounted in the bumper.

Make it sturdy, If you can tie the bumper in to the Jeep in a third location (besides the two frame horns) then that is the way to go.

light tabs whether you are able to mount a light bar inside the bumper or not keep standard light-bar sizes in mind when deciding on the placement of the light tabs on the hoop/stinger. More people are going the light-bar route, so if you have tabs on the hoop/stinger, they should be spaced to mount a bar of some standard length.

For rear bumpers: recessed accessory lights are a big plus. the factory reverse lights on the JK are a joke. I'm fairly certain my iPhone is brighter.

For rock sliders: I have to agree with an earlier post, that there are very few frame-rail mounted sliders, that is where you should aim, go for a bolt-on frame-rail mount for the sliders, and make them as beefy as possibly without them collapsing the suspension. I also would lean to making it somewhat functional as a step (a lot of us have to justify our mods with our significant others, and a rail that can at least somewhat function as a step is a much easier win). Also, if it doesn't function as a step then it is just one more mud covered obstacle to get you pants leg past when you are getting out of the Jeep for work in the morning (just saying).

Best of luck!
Happy Jeeping!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Just my two cents...

- As for bumpers with built in light rail, I'm not a fan for a couple reasons: 1) the risk of damaging the light should you hit something, 2) you basically HAVE to buy the light or your bumper is going to look incomplete. Bumpers are generally a fairly expensive purchase to begin with, so the last thing I want is to have to pay an additional ~$150-$300 for a 10"-20" light bar that I may or may not want. I'd be all about some built in light tabs if they were in the right spot, just not on the face of the bumper.

- I'm not a fan of the modular setups with removable components. I just think it's not as clean looking, and I can't imagine the strength integrity is maintained, but if you can figure it out then good on you. There's obviously a market for it. For me personally, I like the choice of separate stubby (preferred), or mid-width, or full-width bumpers... not an all in one.

- I don't mind cutting personally. Had to do so with the front bumper I'm running now. But I can see why many folks would take issue with that. I'd recommend a solution that doesn't require cutting initially to appeal to the masses. Maybe offer a bumper that requires cutting but offers greater clearance later down the road after expanding your line.

- For the rear, most important thing to me is to keep the hitch. I tow A LOT! Whether it's a pop-up camper, or my offroad trailer, I tow a lot. I just can't fit everything I need in the Jeep when I'm taking the kids and family camping. I need a hitch basket at a minimum. We all sacrifice space when buying a Jeep as it is. I personally would never choose a bumper that didn't have a hitch, and it needs to be the same class rating as what comes stock on the Jeep at a minimum.

- For the rock rails, I don't care about a step. Keep them tucked up against the body and strong as hell. Weld-on is important for me. I'm running some modified Rubi rails at the moment, but I'm going with the EVO rails as soon as the funds permit.

- I'm more of a fan of steel over aluminum. I just can't imagine aluminum holding up to some of the hits my bumpers have taken on the rocks.

- As for a tire-carrier, it would be awesome if the tire-carrier could be added at a later date. Again I'm thinking about cost. I run an OR-Fab carrier because I needed something to hold my 35's at the time, and I couldn't afford a decent bumper with carrier along with my purchase of new 35's and wheels. It's just nice being able to upgrade sooner vice having to wait until you can afford to make all these huge purchases at once. Less expensive purchases are also way more palatable for the wife who manages the budget.

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not too many options for those wanting a front 2" hitch receiver, may be something worth adding, also high lift jack points like on arb and tjm bumpers are nice too
Old 01-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Former Vendor

Default New Bumper designs and sharing thoughts

So are front hitch receivers needed? I feel like it is not for my application. Am I wrong? Also are you ok if you have a rear hitch separately connected to the frame like PS? I feel that it is more stable anyhow. Also, jack mounts to me are a must and agree with that. Let's make a flat tire change easy for crying out loud! Also what about recessed Led 10" inchers on the front left and right of a front bumper are there so that the recessed winch area is there too? I like the recessed clean winch spot for a ZEON! I really like the idea of 10" lead's. I guess because I can incorporate these at time of sale for a very reasonable cost. Steel is needed or another STRONG material. Thoughts? I also have always enjoyed the designs of AEV. Love the streamlined stock like features. Could this be done as a stubby? I am thinking this can. Also can I do a stainless lined inside of any bumper that could hold water for overlanders and weekend warriors. We all know some water to clean off the BBQ sauce on the hands could help out in the middle of nowhere. Again thanks for everyone's input. I am taking notes very seriously and will come up with some designs for everyone interested to vote on and make some further suggestions. Please keep your comments going.

On a side note, please do not hesitate to reach out as I am a full service shop, OVERLAND OFF ROAD, newly open in MD, and am looking to grow, quickly! I will be offering some specials soon but am always looking to help out however I can. I have been doing many custom leather interiors recently and a pretty decent amount of LED's as well. If you need anything at all to enhance your Jeep, please do not hesitate to call me 410-241-5555.

Overland has been created because of the passion that I have for our off road industry that we all share!

Josh
Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I really like what your saying especially.

Duel 10" LEDs, don't center them, let the look L & R and use floods.
Like the nice ZION mounting option, this is where a lot of people are going.
Winch needs to be recessed for proper cooling of engine
I LOVE the idea of water, but it needs to be enough to make it worth while. My factory bumper is set up on a pump and holds 8ish gallons, I use it weekly to bath my dog after swimming in the ocean. If you can come up with a SS tank that holds at least 8 gallons I'd be in! Maybe just bolt in bracketry and make a tank that sits where the factory muffler does for those of us who have swapped exhaust. Ton's of room, midline and out of the way.

A couple ideas

How about small rock lights that shine in front of the front tires? or a special colored diff light that signs out in front of the jeep to illuminate the lowest point, the differential housing.

Make sure your recovery points are beefy enough they fill a shackle, nothing looks cheaper than skinny points on a standard shackle.

if you do aluminum and you want to do a stinger do a bolt on steel stinger that is heavy duty enough to actually function if needed.

Built in air mounts for those of us who want to run air to the front and rear.

Water tank in rear of Jeep, wrap copper lines around exhaust for hot water or even better run a pipe through the tank exhaust inlet on one side and outlet on the other having nice hot water to rinse off with after offroading all day would be great!

Good luck!

Last edited by JCDriller; 01-28-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply: New Line of bumpers and rails coming but want your input!