Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Line of bumpers and rails coming but want your input!

Old 01-29-2015, 12:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highlift jack lift points built in, a lot safer.

Extra light tab options, not everyone wants lights above the grille guard or low on the bumper.

Mid width bumper, I really like my stubby but would like the protection of a mid and a full will interfere with the tires.

Now how many people really will buy something like this?

Can't please everyone in business.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New line

No, you can not please everyone so that's why I decided to start this thread before I jump on CAD! The jeep community as we all know is pretty tight knit. We all respect each other and all are after the same goals for the most part,(bigger, badder, meaner) All jokes aside, these ideas are great and I hear a common theme. I am meeting with some of my design team to start some sketches and will post them as they come out. The next step after that is figuring out costs. That could be the make or break part of this.

As for rock rails, I really like when rails are incorporated into flares so that there is a seamless transition. I feel like PS missed this a bit. I understand why but I think Nemesis Industries has this idea close to perfection. I'm not thrilled with the design of the flare as much as I am with the PS flare. With that said one thing at a time, just wanted to throw that out there.

Josh
Old 01-29-2015, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

If you make rails, PLEASE make both 4 door and 2 door version. There is such a limited market for those of us with less doors and it's very frustrating. If you do make a two door rail that has high lift points and works with the rubi rails, you have at least one local buyer
Old 01-29-2015, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Everyone wants light and strong,,, One word,,, TITANIUM!!! Not sure how many would want to pay for their dream material.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Midwidth: wide enough to cover to tires in case of a car accident onroad. Keep the bumper up high on the horns, and offer a skid plate for those who have rubis.
I like light weight and strong, material is secondary - if titanium or a steel alloy or aluminum does the trick use it. a think gusseted aluminum is thicker than steel but lighterweight and take the same imact, thien the engineering design is the determining factor. It does need to take an accident impact or rock impact to protect the rest of the vehicle without parts ending up elsewhere inside the enigne bay/suspension/tire.
If it can take major hits then yeah some damage to the bumper is ok. IF it has modular corners that are cheap enough then 1 time impact use to lose "beauty" and not function (I may hit rocks a few times on a single trail day right?) is probably a good trade.
Also I noticed a trend of using replaceable "cutting board" hdpe for skid areas. maybe a good option for skids, bottom, and corners.
For weight I think keeping it under 75lbs is good, 50 better.
Stingers have their purpose, but if you put one on it, make sure it can actually work as a stinger otherwise it is decor. For myself, I don't have plans that would have a stinger make sense with my vehicle.
Please allow for shackle tabs or shackle tabs to be added. note that TJs have a bolton shackle mount option out there, so it could be a modular option.
please a good hi lift

No major cutting! I have avoided some bumpers I like because there is no going back and I may want to take the bumper with me to my next vehicle, or need to replace it to pass inspections in some places.
I like the duals but 10s might be too big to fit? 6 or 8s? RI also has "official" fog duallys. what about a 10" between 2 2" LEDs? I am thinking a modular system for the light mounting.
I really like having actual fog-pattern lights, because I have driven in fog with highway patrol next to me and it was really nice to be able to legally see... JW speaker has a model 6048 bar style and the 9049 single row bar fogs, PIAA has their RF fog bar series..... Someone might want round lights (Not me really)....allowing for a 20x2 plate to be used gives some mounting options, especially if you sel lthe mounting options separately. Also allow for a cover on those LEDs in case you live in one of those states that require covers once you get past having OEM lights.

Random idea, because I haven't seen anything close->
TJ Mopar rock crawler front bumper style: midwidth, mounted as high up on the frame horns as possible, have the to part of the tube a continuous piece, drop the winch down further, single row 20" or dual 6" LED underneath. Aluminum shell, steel tube and winch mount. tube with a tab optional light mount point.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For rails make some boatsides...i dont know of any on the jk market...
Old 01-29-2015, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

I think this is awesome that you are looking for opinions before you design something. I am in the market for a front bumper and will give you a list of what I have been looking for.

Stubby
Under 50 lbs
Around $500
Bolt on install - no cutting or welding but open to drilling
Minimalist design - I do not like bulky bumpers
Welded d ring mounts
No fog light holes
Option to mount winch
Option for stinger or brush guard - prefer welded v. modular
Option of bare metal or paint/powder coat

I do not care if light tabs are available because if I need lights, they will be around the windshield. I hope this helps you and I am eager to see what you come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 01-29-2015, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

I built my own front and rear bumper will do the same with rock rails/ steps one day. One thing that was big for me is fully recessed winch because I travel to shady/unknown areas with work, the next thing was keeping it full width and bringing it all the way out to the fenders matching the body lines. Keep in mind this was my first and I did it in a single weekend. There are plenty of things I would love to change on it just to dress it up or make it different. But so far about 8 of 10 people who see it love it and want one. I truly wanted to incorporate an air tank into the rear bumper however wasn't aware of any liability issues and had clearance issues with the crossmember that I wasn't willing to deal with in the short time frame of the build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1567974924.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	594340   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1686877960.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	594342  
Old 01-29-2015, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JumpingInFire
I think this is awesome that you are looking for opinions before you design something. I am in the market for a front bumper and will give you a list of what I have been looking for. Stubby Under 50 lbs Around $500 Bolt on install - no cutting or welding but open to drilling Minimalist design - I do not like bulky bumpers Welded d ring mounts No fog light holes Option to mount winch Option for stinger or brush guard - prefer welded v. modular Option of bare metal or paint/powder coat I do not care if light tabs are available because if I need lights, they will be around the windshield. I hope this helps you and I am eager to see what you come up with. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
You just described my bumper... Shittybilt blah blah its a steel bumper, with a winch plate and hasn't made me regret it yet. So let me hear it.

-under $500
-bolt on
-welded d ring mounts
-no fog holes
-welded stinger
-60 lbs
-not bare (coat has held up fine for me so far)

-2 light mounts on the outside of the bumper even though that wasn't really a concern for you

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12057_2012_07.htm

Last edited by JK505; 01-29-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Former Vendor

Default Bumper build outs!

That is nice. Great job in a weekend. I don't think I am going to attempt a full width. I really like the stamped look of AEV and IMO thats what needs to be if it's a full width. I think that why the stubby is the way to initially go without the capabilities of stamping.

Thanks again!

Josh

Quick Reply: New Line of bumpers and rails coming but want your input!