Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Line of bumpers and rails coming but want your input!

Old 01-29-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A ton of good thoughts on here. I'd like to describe the bumper I'm looking for as well!

I am pretty much set on the smittybilt src stinger, but there are a few things I do not like about it.

Here are some things I image when thinking of my bumper
-under $500
-stubby
-recessed foglight housings on the sides (what I don't like about the SRC is the angled sides. If you replaced them with the Rough Country modular bumper sides that have foglight housings you'd kill two birds with one stone for me)
-bolt on but open to drilling
-welded d ring mounts
-welded stinger or you could have a selectable modular option (I really like the SRC stinger loop portion especially)
-60 lbs
-coated would be ideal for me
-recessed winch plate

The only thing I do not care for would be light mounts on the sides. I prefer lights higher and closer to the windshield. That way I can tell if they are damaged or something.

This is awesome that you are asking for feedback and our opinions. Really shows that the aftermarket companies value their customers and their opinions.
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big dr
Everyone wants light and strong,,, One word,,, TITANIUM!!! Not sure how many would want to pay for their dream material.
That's pretty funny. Reading through this thread is like watching that Windows 7 commercial that collegehumor spoofed.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Default Nice of you to ask.

A few things Cost get the price way down > Its crazy to spend more on a bumper than 5 tires. Light is good modular and I like the option for storage.. on th back bumper maybe 2 things a step up and water storage like rev but not so expensive.... build em good build them here in the us build them for less charge less and the world will beat a path to your door.
on the rails be sure that the space between the jeep and the rail or between the 2 rails is grated > I had my old dog get her leg stuck in the space on mine nearly broke it it was harrowing experience..

so here it is COST COST COST less is better More = bad. example those pronghorn bumpers. I saw them at expo before they were developed they were sweet I wanted one real bad. then a few years later the cost 1700.. Now I just cringe when I here about them.

modular with storage options

last did I mention COST
Old 01-30-2015, 06:42 AM
Former Vendor

Pronghorn is an interesting concept but I don't think that is where I am headed. Too much modular activity going on there. All that does is create confusion! With that said I do like some of their ideas but probably won't incorporate any into my plans. Cost of course is important but I think everyone knows the old saying, "you get what you pay for." Yes it will be built in the USA but that's just because my fabrication center is here. I think after next week I will have some ideas on paper and hopefully be able to share.
Josh

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
A few things Cost get the price way down > Its crazy to spend more on a bumper than 5 tires. Light is good modular and I like the option for storage.. on th back bumper maybe 2 things a step up and water storage like rev but not so expensive.... build em good build them here in the us build them for less charge less and the world will beat a path to your door.
on the rails be sure that the space between the jeep and the rail or between the 2 rails is grated > I had my old dog get her leg stuck in the space on mine nearly broke it it was harrowing experience..

so here it is COST COST COST less is better More = bad. example those pronghorn bumpers. I saw them at expo before they were developed they were sweet I wanted one real bad. then a few years later the cost 1700.. Now I just cringe when I here about them.

modular with storage options

last did I mention COST
Old 02-11-2015, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default I must amend my thoughts.

After a lot of thought I have decided that even though I personally would be well served by an alloy bumper I'm not sure that enough of the masses would be happy enough to support the development. Lighter is good but I'm now thinking that abrasion, not impact would be the downfall of aluminum regardless of other strengths. I don't slide over obstacles when wheeling so a bumper is merely an impact stopper for me, but those that do see a lot of scraping may end up grinding through them quickly.

Jer
Old 02-11-2015, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Suspector X
After a lot of thought I have decided that even though I personally would be well served by an alloy bumper I'm not sure that enough of the masses would be happy enough to support the development. Lighter is good but I'm now thinking that abrasion, not impact would be the downfall of aluminum regardless of other strengths. I don't slide over obstacles when wheeling so a bumper is merely an impact stopper for me, but those that do see a lot of scraping may end up grinding through them quickly.

Jer
All the weight of my jeep came down on my rear bumper a while back. So glad I bought steel. Even the steel didn't come out looking flawlessly though.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i run the psc mid love love it

Aluminum i think is like buying scrap , why have bumper at all , besides laws .
light weight is great but you loose integrity w/ that .
There is different needs for different people so for some people who only care about weight i see this need .
im still looking for the right rear bumper . i really like the Rugged Ridge rear alum pods but so over priced they wont get my sale on them . Worth maybe $250 at most
some steel pods even would be great kept at a reasonable weight and price @ 200.00 with rings i think would sell like hot cakes
rock rails ~ well lets face it Ace has that down for bolt ons unless you underprice things . weld ons psc steel
best wishes with the marketing of your product

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-11-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll tell you what I'm looking for, full length, recessed winch, tow points, factory fog locations, hoop for grill protection, $500 or so.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

originally i was looking at a full width, high clearance front bumper with grille guard and stinger with recessed winch. closest i got was purejeep's, stinger grill hoop which is a stubby. as for the full width bumper, the rampage was the closest. the grill guard also serves to connect limb risers to roof rack bars. We have lots of deer, and lots of narrow trails with bush. and of course cost.

Quick Reply: New Line of bumpers and rails coming but want your input!