Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TF Ball joints rubbing on U joint??!!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This quote is from a different forum.

"For those of you who haven't seen or heard about it, Jeep has been shipping their new 2013 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicons with brand new beefier Dana 44 front axle shafts. As you can see in the photos below, the new 2013 shaft (shown in black) has a larger web, is thicker around the U-Joint cap and if you were to handle it, you'd see that it also has a bit more steering angle too. Unforunately, they are still missing full circle clips but, it is nice to see any improvements being made. Check it out."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle 2013.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	592857

Best way to check what axle you have is the Casting#. The casting # from my 2013 JKUR is 2014613 for long side.
I ran into the same axle issue. My JKUR is mid-late 2012 build.

Sorry guys, it pissed me off, it was about 1yr ago for me. My memory is fuzzy. Had to hit a scotch.

Ernie

Last edited by helmet10; 01-20-2015 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We ran into that same issue with my 2015 JK. A grinder was use to clearance the u-joint area and no problems at all since then.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
We ran into that same issue with my 2015 JK. A grinder was use to clearance the u-joint area and no problems at all since then.
Well I don't want to grind my u joint. Hopefully Northridge will take back the bj's I bought from them. Wish I had known of this before I bought your ball joints.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't install them even if I had axles that would currently fit. Restricts you from upgrades choices you may want to make in the future. Beefier stock axles obviously and I wonder if Factory Tens would interfere, etc..

Get Synergys and be done.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:13 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fredrok
I wouldn't install them even if I had axles that would currently fit. Restricts you from upgrades choices you may want to make in the future. Beefier stock axles obviously and I wonder if Factory Tens would interfere, etc..

Get Synergys and be done.
I'm going RCV's so I guess I'll find out
Old 01-22-2015, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Talked to Northridge tonight, they are coming thru for me again. That is why I continue to do business with them. They are a great company. In case anybody was wondering how I made out...lol.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:44 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lulu2533
Talked to Northridge tonight, they are coming thru for me again. That is why I continue to do business with them. They are a great company. In case anybody was wondering how I made out...lol.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

My experience with TF ball joints.

I installed TF ball joints on my 2012 Rubi. After the install, I found out I have the larger U joint. It's my DD, and after 2 days of little knocking/rubbing, the U joint has shaved off a little off the outer corner of the lower ball joint.

I did contact Teraflex and they sent me a new set of lowers, and a free Teraflex wallet! I haven't replaced them yet, I might just leave them in because it just shaved a little off the top of the ball joint, and the noise is gone. U joint is fine and no problems from what I can tell.

Quick Reply: New TF Ball joints rubbing on U joint??!!