Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie, how to build a very capable jeep for Moab and colorado

Old 01-22-2015, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STart with EVO Protek Skid System but then stop there with EVO. Take a look at Teraflex LCG Prerunner suspension teamed with some Fox reservoir shocks. That'll give a fast ride with great flex. Talk to the guys at Northridge 4x4. They have a store in CO now.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeeper52
Hi guys like the title says im a newbie from colorado getting into the jeeping community. I sold my polaris rzr utv to get a jeep for colorado and moab but in hopes of still being able to drive it around town. I will be driving from colorado to moab in this vehicle so it WILL NOT be a trailer queen. I am in the market as we speak for a 4dr rubicon so i am trying to get ahead of the game and gain some knowledge so when i buy my jeep and can start building it. When i owned my utv i hit almost all the trails in moab including moan rim,hells,poisen,fins&things,metal masher,widow maker and 3/4 of pritchette caynon but had to turn around due to a bad storm. I want to build a jeep that will be capable of doing these trails without bashing the hell out of it. I know experience plays a critical roll but What do you recommend for lift,suspension, axles, tire size, and anything else. Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks!!
I did a rd trip from texas to moab and colorado last year. I have a 14 rubicon with 4" pro comp stage 1 lift, 35s, aftermarket bumpers and basic 9500 lb winch from smitty. I did kanes creek, hells revenge with the hells gate option, finsnthings, white rim and a couple of others. In colorado we did a ton of trails including black bear pass, poughkeepsie gulch. The jeep did awesome. Are there waaayyyy better lifts out there, better winches and bigger tires? Of course, but what i had was/is plenty for doing what i want to do. Thats what it all comes down to.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmedic308
I did a rd trip from texas to moab and colorado last year. I have a 14 rubicon with 4" pro comp stage 1 lift, 35s, aftermarket bumpers and basic 9500 lb winch from smitty. I did kanes creek, hells revenge with the hells gate option, finsnthings, white rim and a couple of others. In colorado we did a ton of trails including black bear pass, poughkeepsie gulch. The jeep did awesome. Are there waaayyyy better lifts out there, better winches and bigger tires? Of course, but what i had was/is plenty for doing what i want to do. Thats what it all comes down to.
Thanks man for the comment. I hear what you are saying. The majority of jeeps i have seen run a pretty basic lift such as procomp,aev,ect. I just want to start with something that i can add on to. I just dont want to buy a lift and it ride like crap and then tear it down and try another one, i just cant afford to do it more than once. Maybe i should buy a long arm kit from rubicon express,or teraflex, and do the coil over coversion at a later date if i want? Vs trying to do it all at once? I know in the past with the utv's we were always getting into trails that were more difficult and rough that we expected so jeeping probably wont be any different. I just want it built right and tough so i wont have to worry about major breakdowns on the trail since i will be driving it from home to moab and back.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
A supercharger would help. I built my own suspension so I really can't say how cost would compare to a double throw down. You can price components out but the time spent on the build is a different story, I had weeks of labor building the suspension and relocating the fuel tank. A lot of that $14k on the ORE kit is in the shocks. Personally if you are looking at a kit like that I would be spending some time on the phone with genright and do their double triangulated 4 link with ibp coil overs.
Hey Dirtman i had a question for you on this kit. I saw on another forum where a guy was trying to decide between the rk and genright lift kits. It quickly became an argument about the control arm spacing at the rear axle and frame mounts rather than what lift to go with. A few guys on there said that due to there being to little space between the upper and lower arms that would cause lcog issues and traction problems and that kit was later on deemed as junk by another writer. Its obviously not a junk kit but i wanted to get your take on this since it seems like you kind of built your suspension the same way.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dirtman i had a question for you on this kit. I saw on another forum where a guy was trying to decide between the rk and genright lift kits. It quickly became an argument about the control arm spacing at the rear axle and frame mounts rather than what lift to go with. A few guys on there said that due to there being to little space between the upper and lower arms that would cause lcog issues and traction problems and that kit was later on deemed as junk by another writer. Its obviously not a junk kit but i wanted to get your take on this since it seems like you kind of built your suspension the same way.
They're talking about the frame side separation. That is a factor in anti squat (when you accelerate, you want the rear to squat a little, but not too much, but some). However, there is more to that equation, which includes axle side separation, and upper and lower control arm length. Sure, the Genright appears tight on the frame side, but that doesn't mean it is absolutely wrong. Shorten the uppers or lengthen the lowers and you can reduce anti squat. In addition, genright was after a high horsepower, high speed JK. You need more anti squat running that kind of power.

Every use case is different. You build it to what you want to do. That's why you're better off building your own.

Most of these bolt on kits are a total compromise. If you want it right, do it yourself. If you don't want to do it yourself, stick with something simple until you need and understand what you want.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Investment nailed it. Some people build on anti squat and instant center and ignore everything else. There are lots of things to consider in the overall performance of the suspension with the limitations the JK offers.
Actually my set up is very close to what Genright came out with in terms of frame spacing. Look up the Terramoto build genright did I am sure they have some videos of it and it runs that double triangulated set up and it is a bad ass rig.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Investment nailed it. Some people build on anti squat and instant center and ignore everything else. There are lots of things to consider in the overall performance of the suspension with the limitations the JK offers.
Actually my set up is very close to what Genright came out with in terms of frame spacing. Look up the Terramoto build genright did I am sure they have some videos of it and it runs that double triangulated set up and it is a bad ass rig.
Thank you guys for the info. I wouldn't mind building my own setup if i had the appropriate equipment to do so and i dont exactly know how to weld. Of course i have tools but i dont have a lift either. That being said, i think i could learn to weld fairly quickly but i am not any engineer so how would i know how to make my own lift? Would i buy the control arms and brackets or would you have to make your own? I am mechanical minded but im not sure i could completely create my own system.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you guys for the info. I wouldn't mind building my own setup if i had the appropriate equipment to do so and i dont exactly know how to weld. Of course i have tools but i dont have a lift either. That being said, i think i could learn to weld fairly quickly but i am not any engineer so how would i know how to make my own lift? Would i buy the control arms and brackets or would you have to make your own? I am mechanical minded but im not sure i could completely create my own system.
Most of the off the shelf lifts you're taking about require cutting, grinding, welding.

Yeah, you can learn to run a bead fairly quickly. Until you have to weld in all positions and watch your vertical welds run like a river into crap. Then wonder if you had fusion in all of your welds or if they cold lapped and aren't worth a crap. Did you undercut? Can you tell of the weld has too much or too little voltage or wire feed? Is it hot rolled steel and you need to grind the mill scale off first? Should you bevel the joint? Pre heat? I'm not saying don't learn to weld, but if you can't easily pass an AWS test, don't do structural welds.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Most of the off the shelf lifts you're taking about require cutting, grinding, welding.

Yeah, you can learn to run a bead fairly quickly. Until you have to weld in all positions and watch your vertical welds run like a river into crap. Then wonder if you had fusion in all of your welds or if they cold lapped and aren't worth a crap. Did you undercut? Can you tell of the weld has too much or too little voltage or wire feed? Is it hot rolled steel and you need to grind the mill scale off first? Should you bevel the joint? Pre heat? I'm not saying don't learn to weld, but if you can't easily pass an AWS test, don't do structural welds.
ok with that being said what should i do?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

Your speaking the truth! I'm a self taught hobby welder, but recently needed some axle work done. I needed LCA welded on and decide to take it to Rebel Offroad as I knew enough to know I didn't trust myself in something so structural. They did a great job. Good advice!

Quick Reply: Newbie, how to build a very capable jeep for Moab and colorado