Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie lift question

Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie lift question

So, new at the jeep scenario, have a 07 JKU, procomp 4" lift kit, 35" tires. Everything worked fine for about 6 months (after kit was installed along with tires), then DW started to show up. Took my baby to my local shop, and found that the procomp steering stabilizer was completely destroyed.
My friend (owner of the store) recommended to replace / upgrade my steering shock, so I did, went with a heavy duty Fox, it works great, steering not only went back to normal but it was improved feels more "stable"

My friend said that that was only a temporary solution, that I needed to replace few more things before calling it safe, he recommended changing some oem components, like the ball joints (he recommended synergy), also he mentioned other things (cant remember the name), and at the end swap at least the track bar (he recommended rubicon express with a lowering bracket).

He quoted me around $1000 bucks everything included (parts, labor, alignment etc).

couple questions, does that sound right? are those "upgrades" needed having a lift kit and 35" tires? what else should I be concerned? anything else you guys have done?

Take into consideration jku is my everyday car, don't take it off road that much (at least not thru crazy stunts)

Thanks
Old 12-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start with new balljoints. Did you know that TeraFlex Balljoints have a LifeTime Warranty on them? Check and see if your trackbar mounting holes are egged out also.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The steering stabilizer will help to mask the problem, he is correct to tell you to find the root cause. If you go up to the JK Writeups area, stuck right to the top is a great how-to for finding the causes of deathwobble/shimmy.

The stock balljoints have a plastic insert and aren't known for strength, people have lost them in under 15k miles. Synergy is very popular, and both AlloyUSA and Teraflex as well. Dynatrac offers some also, but they are rather expensive.

He is recommending a trackbar lowering bracket? For the steering angles, you want to keep the trackbar and draglink roughly parallel to each other. If you raise or lower one, without also raising/lowering the other, you will introduce some bumpsteer. Since you are already looking at synergy bj's, you might look at a synergy trackbar, and then when you are ready, go with the synergy draglink flip with raised trackbar bracket. (instead of the RE trackbar with lowering bracket )

BUT, before you just indiscriminately start throwing money at it, go through the writeup and find the actual problem...

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-17-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post!!!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Sounds like he is giving you good advice. Ask him if he will check the front trackbar bolt holes and repair if ovaled out (which is very likely). Do be aware that your new trackbar (if aftermarket) and ball joints will require periodic re-greasing--every engine oil change. Or tell him you don't want that inconvenience, that you'll just replace the parts as they wear out (expensive answer over time, but your choice).

Edit: BTW, if you're up to troubleshooting this yourself, I fully agree w/nthinuf's post above.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-18-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Newbie lift question