Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitro Gear Kit nightmare from Just Differentials

Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Nitro Gear Kit nightmare from Just Differentials

I Just swapped out my 3.21s for 4.11 with a complete kit from Nitro Gears from their distributer Just Differentials.

2500 miles later the ring has sheared off of the rear carrier leaving me with a broken ring, damaged carrier, bearings etc.

I called Just Differentials and they are claiming installer error. They are saying the bolts must not have been torqued or used with loctite.

My mechanic said that the bolts failed because they are too short and the shank does not match up to the carrier holes and that he torqued them and used loctite.

The carrier has 1/2 bolt holes and the nitro gear ring is for 7/16. Upon further discussion with Just Diff. they claim its "OK to use 7/16th bolts in the 1/2 inch holes."

I asked them why that most of their other ring gears have threads for both on the same gear and so does the competition. Just Diff. replied that it depends on the size of the gear and their larger gears need it but the 4.11s do not.

I am now $900 in the hole PLUS labor (not including the $2400 the gear swap cost me the first time.

Anyone else have this problem and can provide me a little assistance?

Thanks for any help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg
Views:	1261
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	517248Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2690.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	517249Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2688.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	517250
Old 12-16-2013, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any honest reply but I cringe for you. I'm sorry this happened to you.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

If your mechanic knew the bolts were too short,, WHY THE HELL DID HE USE THEM!!!!!!!! Sounds like he just admitted the instal failure was his!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bombout800
I don't have any honest reply but I cringe for you. I'm sorry this happened to you.
He used them because they were supplied by nitro. He thinks they may have been too short but they torqued up. It's just a possible hypothesis of why they failed.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big dr
If your mechanic knew the bolts were too short,, WHY THE HELL DID HE USE THEM!!!!!!!! Sounds like he just admitted the instal failure was his!!!
I'm with you. Sounds like the guy knew stuff was wrong and installed anyways. I would be looking to him for answers. Also $2400 is pretty high too. Got to go with what's around I guess. It's bout the sane for me in my area. That's why I'll be driving 3 hours to dallas or Houston to get it done for round $1000 parts and labor
Old 12-16-2013, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

You shouldn't be out any money as one of them is responsible. I lean more towards an install error
Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

That's purely installer error.

Have him refund you and take it to someone that actually knows what they're doing.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twoxstreem
I Just swapped out my 3.21s for 4.11 with a complete kit from Nitro Gears from their distributer Just Differentials.

2500 miles later the ring has sheared off of the rear carrier leaving me with a broken ring, damaged carrier, bearings etc.

I called Just Differentials and they are claiming installer error. They are saying the bolts must not have been torqued or used with loctite.

My mechanic said that the bolts failed because they are too short and the shank does not match up to the carrier holes and that he torqued them and used loctite.

The carrier has 1/2 bolt holes and the nitro gear ring is for 7/16. Upon further discussion with Just Diff. they claim its "OK to use 7/16th bolts in the 1/2 inch holes."

I asked them why that most of their other ring gears have threads for both on the same gear and so does the competition. Just Diff. replied that it depends on the size of the gear and their larger gears need it but the 4.11s do not.

I am now $900 in the hole PLUS labor (not including the $2400 the gear swap cost me the first time.

Anyone else have this problem and can provide me a little assistance?

Thanks for any help.

Attachment 517248Attachment 517249Attachment 517250
I imagine the 7/16" bolt allowed the ring gear to move around since the shoulder was smaller than the hole in the gear. This would allow a lot of shear forces against the bolt. It sucks to have issues like this!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What does NITRO say? It's their gear set. Just Differentials is the middle man.

Also, hopefully you were working with a reputable installer?
Old 12-17-2013, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The short bolts where the cause of your failure. The bolts being too short does not spread the load far enough over the bolt to make them effective. As far as who is responsible for the failure, you are. After your mechanic told you the bolts where to short you should of stopped him until it was resolved. Second buy gears from a quality manufacturer who stands behind there product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . Rich

Quick Reply: Nitro Gear Kit nightmare from Just Differentials