Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not death wobble, but its up there .. and rear springs?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not death wobble, but its up there .. and rear springs?

Went wheeling at Evans Creek for those of you from PNW ... well very tight trails and some body damage later ....

Rear springs are pushed forward and axle is twisted. I can tell this because my diff is going the opposite way of my springs. You can't really tell in the pictures, its the best I could do, but you can kinda see the springs pushed forward .... I took front spring pics to compare too ..

SPRINGS -Does anyone else rear springs go forward? They were straight and vertical before?

----> front spring ... its actually straight unlike rear.

AXLE - trac bar isn't bent and mangeld, could it be the control arms pulling it one way? Will an alignment fix this?

Acceleration - from 5 mph to as quick as I decide to go for the day ... I am wobbling and jiggling .... its coming from the rear .. don't know if this has to do with my axle being all whacked out. But the wobble goes away when I come to a stop, and doesn't go away at all, at any speeds ... its like ugugugugugugugugugugugug ....

any ideas anyone?

Last edited by rubiconjack; 09-12-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:36 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

if you have an aftermarket driveshaft and you've set your pinion angle to be in line with it, your coils should look like that. regarding what you are feeling, have you checked your control arm bushings to see if you might have blown one or more of them? have you checked your control arms so see if any of them are bent? have you checked your wheels to make sure that your lug nuts are on tight? and maybe the first thing you should have checked - do you have mud packed in your wheels or did you maybe toss a wheel weight or two?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you have an aftermarket driveshaft and you've set your pinion angle to be in line with it, your coils should look like that. regarding what you are feeling, have you checked your control arm bushings to see if you might have blown one or more of them? have you checked your control arms so see if any of them are bent? have you checked your wheels to make sure that your lug nuts are on tight? and maybe the first thing you should have checked - do you have mud packed in your wheels or did you maybe toss a wheel weight or two?
one of my friends that was out there with my actually asked about the wheel weights? What are they, and where are the located. Sorry still learning.

I haven't checked the bushings on the Control arms and they don't look twisted or bent as far as I can tell ...

Haven't checked the lug nuts yet either, I will head outside and do that ...
Old 09-12-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

As for the aftermarket driveshaft .. yes I do ... I beleive the angle was set when my mechanic installed the new axles. .... can it get screwed up between wheeling and dd though?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by rubiconjack
one of my friends that was out there with my actually asked about the wheel weights? What are they, and where are the located. Sorry still learning.
no need to apologize - wheel weights are the lead things attachted to the edge of your wheels. they are usually a few of them attached to the outside, inside or both sides of your wheels. knocking them off on the trail is very easy to do and that will cause them to go out of balance. in other words, they won't roll smoothly and will cause what you are feeling now. mud packed in your wheels can throw off your wheels balance too and you should check for that as well if you were playing in any mud.

I haven't checked the bushings on the Control arms and they don't look twisted or bent as far as I can tell ...
IF you have bushings, they might look cracked or crumbled. if you have assembly joints, they will be loose and have a retaining ring and washers sitting beside it.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:56 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by rubiconjack
As for the aftermarket driveshaft .. yes I do ... I beleive the angle was set when my mechanic installed the new axles. .... can it get screwed up between wheeling and dd though?
then the way your axle looks is correct. the only way it would get screwed up is if you had a bent control arm or blown joint.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Freak

Thanks WOL .. Its going in for one last tightening up of everything on the lift at mechanics shop Monday.

Quick Reply: Not death wobble, but its up there .. and rear springs?