Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Happy with the Rake of my Rancho Leveling Kit

Old 08-31-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
Well I didn't think that I'd have to pay $1200 for a new bumper and winch just to get it level. I guess I'll have to add another puck. It already has two, the factory spacer and a 1" rancho puck. I'd rather just have one back there instead if having 3 or 4. I guess I'll need a 3" or 4" single puck then and I'm not sure if rancho even sells those. I think teraflex does but I also don't want to mix match brands.

What's wrong with buying more stuff? Far as mixing stuff my rock krawler lift came with teraflex bump stops. It's fine to mix stuff sometimes.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Your leveling kit came with what, exactly? 2" front coils and nothing else? Or it is the full 2" sport system with front coils and rear spacers?

A spacer is pretty much a spacer, just a chunk of hard plastic or whatever. Doesn't really matter which brand you use. The plus for Teraflex rear spacers is the long prong that helps keep the coils in place.

You also need to think about other components before you go slapping 3-4" of lift on the back. The short shocks and the short brake lines and the angled down swaybar come to mind.

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-31-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I didn't think that I'd have to pay $1200 for a new bumper and winch just to get it level.

I guess I'll have to add another puck. It already has two, the factory spacer and a 1" rancho puck. I'd rather just have one back there instead if having 3 or 4. I guess I'll need a 3" or 4" single puck then and I'm not sure if rancho even sells those.

I think teraflex does but I also don't want to mix match brands.
I'm not saying you have to purchase a bumper and winch, a set of pucks will correct your issue. You're complaining because you got more lift then expected in the front. The next guy will complain because his kit is "sagging" in the front due to his bumper/winch combo.

There are rarely two Jeeps setup the same. The aftermarket has to attempt to cover a wide variety of possible situations and setups.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:39 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I didn't think that I'd have to pay $1200 for a new bumper and winch just to get it level. I guess I'll have to add another puck. It already has two, the factory spacer and a 1" rancho puck. I'd rather just have one back there instead if having 3 or 4. I guess I'll need a 3" or 4" single puck then and I'm not sure if rancho even sells those. I think teraflex does but I also don't want to mix match brands.
The stock "spacer" is a spring isolator and needs to be used along with the spring spacer. You don't stack rear spacers. You need to calculate the required height increase for the rear and order the correct spacer. Teraflex spacers are good as stated above. They lock in place and the titty holds the factory isolator in place and keeps the spring from unseating. The problem with some budget boost/lifts is they're typically not complete and by the time you finish farting around making it right you're near the investment of a descent lift. The RK 1.5" lift or Teraflex performance leveling kit would have been a better purchase than the Rancho kit.

I remember you posting your Jeep had sagging stock springs. A better route might be finding some rear take off springs that are lower mileage and a higher spring rate.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:34 PM
JK Junkie

just put some more miles on it. The springs will settle a bit after some road use and a wheeling trip or two. Be patient and live with the rake for just a while longer.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
just put some more miles on it. The springs will settle a bit after some road use and a wheeling trip or two. Be patient and live with the rake for just a while longer.

I hope that Rancho can confirm this
Old 08-31-2014, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I remember after I installed TF 1.5 springs leveling kit my 2dr JK also looked like it was taking a dump. I fixed it by installing spacers in the back. No, springs are not going to settle over time to noticeably affect the look. For once, when they do settle fronts and rears both going to settle.

The key is to decide how tall of a spacer you want to use in the back. Measure tire to fender distance in the front and in the rear. In the end the distances should be at least equal, or rear 1/4" higher, for the best looks, in my opinion.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:31 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

If I recall correctly the OP's Jeep is a two wheel drive model. The suspension of a 2WD JK sits an inch lower than a 4WD. I'm sure Rancho wouldn't have set up the kit correctly for a 2WD.

What's the part number of the rear OEM spring? It should have a tag on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3841204275.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	573841  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

So just a few things. I dont off-road much at all, I just go out on dirt trails for the most part to get to camping areas. Yes it is a 2wd and it is an entry level Jeep for me. I bought it for 10k less than the other 4wd's that were available at the time. I have no desire to ride up rocks and such. It my DD and I do about 99.9% street driving on terrible Los Angeles streets. It feels like I'm riding a mechanical bull into work everyday so that is why I went with the recommended Rancho XL9000s because the rubicon shocks I had were too stiff.

Now with the rebate, I was able to get the leveling kit for next to nothing. I did specify that it was a 2wd when ordering and yes it did come with a rear puck that I added to the factory OEM spacer.

I just measured the space between the fender and the top of the tires and I have:

7.5 inches of space on the front

4.5 inches on the rear.

If I do that math correctly, if I take out the 1" Rancho I have in there now and want to get it level or even higher in the back, I'll need about a 2.5 to 3" spacer back there. From what I have seen, Teraflax makes a 2.5 spacer so that might be my only option unless I get bigger rear springs.

Either way, a small inexpensive upgrade is going to cost me more $$$$ and time down the line. The pucks are $120 and springs are about $200.

Right now I'm really regretting this decision that I made.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

I have the Rancho 4" Sport Lift, going on 2 years now. Bigger tires, heavier bumpers, winch and no front sag at all. At first I thought the front sat up and it did compared to stock. Checking the frame I found it is now level.

I'm happy!

(Note: Reverse rake is even more pronounced in these pics because front was up hill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5919.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	574034   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5921.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	574035  

Quick Reply: Not Happy with the Rake of my Rancho Leveling Kit