Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Happy with the Rake of my Rancho Leveling Kit

Old 09-01-2014, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Sahara Lee .... That looks good. Now I feel like I got a 2" lift in the back and a 4" lift up front. Hehe.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
So just a few things. I dont off-road much at all, I just go out on dirt trails for the most part to get to camping areas. Yes it is a 2wd and it is an entry level Jeep for me. I bought it for 10k less than the other 4wd's that were available at the time. I have no desire to ride up rocks and such. It my DD and I do about 99.9% street driving on terrible Los Angeles streets. It feels like I'm riding a mechanical bull into work everyday so that is why I went with the recommended Rancho XL9000s because the rubicon shocks I had were too stiff.

Now with the rebate, I was able to get the leveling kit for next to nothing. I did specify that it was a 2wd when ordering and yes it did come with a rear puck that I added to the factory OEM spacer.

I just measured the space between the fender and the top of the tires and I have:

7.5 inches of space on the front

4.5 inches on the rear.

If I do that math correctly, if I take out the 1" Rancho I have in there now and want to get it level or even higher in the back, I'll need about a 2.5 to 3" spacer back there. From what I have seen, Teraflax makes a 2.5 spacer so that might be my only option unless I get bigger rear springs.

Either way, a small inexpensive upgrade is going to cost me more $$$$ and time down the line. The pucks are $120 and springs are about $200.

Right now I'm really regretting this decision that I made.
No, if you take out the 1" spacer in the back you have right now your tire to fender will be 3.5 instead of 4.5 and you'll need 4" correction.

I would not use spacers in the rear to solve this problem. It's too wacky, plus, stacking spacers in the rear to that height may be unsafe.

If I were you, I would just buy a set of spacers for the front and install them with stock springs. That's the cheapest way to fix the problem and end up with a lift too.

Last edited by davison0976; 09-02-2014 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davison0976
No, if you take out the 1" spacer in the back you have right now your tire to fender will be 3.5 instead of 4.5 and you'll need 4" correction.

I would not use spacers in the rear to solve this problem. It's too wacky, plus, stacking spacers in the rear to that height may be unsafe.

If I were you, I would just buy a set of spacers for the front and install them with stock springs. That's the cheapest way to fix the problem and end up with a lift too.
problem is i like the height on the front more than the back
Old 09-02-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
problem is i like the height on the front more than the back
Then I think 4" rear coils is your best option.

Suspension can be a little tricky. After I put coils on mine I then thought what's the point of having lift if stock shocks limit suspension down travel range. So, I got longer shocks. Then I needed longer brake lines, then I put in longer stabilizer links. Then I needed to correct my castor angle because Jeep wasn't as stable at highway speeds. So I got longer LCAs installed. Then I corrected rear pinion angle by installing UCAs. Then differential cover had to be installed with higher fill hole. Then track bars to center axles underneath, so tires sticking out equally on both sides.

To do it the right way cost can easily add up.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by davison0976
Then I think 4" rear coils is your best option.

Suspension can be a little tricky. After I put coils on mine I then thought what's the point of having lift if stock shocks limit suspension down travel range. So, I got longer shocks. Then I needed longer brake lines, then I put in longer stabilizer links. Then I needed to correct my castor angle because Jeep wasn't as stable at highway speeds. So I got longer LCAs installed. Then I corrected rear pinion angle by installing UCAs. Then differential cover had to be installed with higher fill hole. Then track bars to center axles underneath, so tires sticking out equally on both sides.

To do it the right way cost can easily add up.
Better change your drive shafts too.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious what part number OEM rear springs are on the OP's Jeep. He posted in the past showing pictures of the suspension and it was sitting low. With it being a 2WD model it most likely has lower part number springs because the 2WD JK sits an inch lower than a 4WD. An OEM rear spring that's a 59 or 60 would probably fix the rake.

The coil spacers and low spring rate coil will never match the front Rancho springs.

Had you gone with spacers front and rear it would sit level like it did before.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ncb
I'm curious what part number OEM rear springs are on the OP's Jeep. He posted in the past showing pictures of the suspension and it was sitting low. With it being a 2WD model it most likely has lower part number springs because the 2WD JK sits an inch lower than a 4WD. An OEM rear spring that's a 59 or 60 would probably fix the rake.

The coil spacers and low spring rate coil will never match the front Rancho springs.

Had you gone with spacers front and rear it would sit level like it did before.
It wasn't really my picking and choosing. This was part of a kit where I selected 2WD so I do expect the kit to be somewhat normal. They should of given me 2" or 2.5" spacers if they know my springs are a little lower.

Speaking of, here is the tag on the spring. I believe it says 68004453AA

Name:  GyP0YwT.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  239.0 KB

Last edited by ShiftKnowledge; 09-02-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking change your rear springs to a heavier rate as suggested. Would be inexpensive. I added leveling kit with 18/59's to my 2 dr. The great think is I can haul large loads of rip rap and my rig does not sag.

Seriously, I am really happy with mine. I know you have a JKU and might be a nice option. I did add later a front bumper and winch.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW, your rig looks nice!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by catahoula
I'm thinking change your rear springs to a heavier rate as suggested. Would be inexpensive. I added leveling kit with 18/59's to my 2 dr. The great think is I can haul large loads of rip rap and my rig does not sag.

Seriously, I am really happy with mine. I know you have a JKU and might be a nice option. I did add later a front bumper and winch.
Yeah I gotta fig out what size to get. I can get the rubicon springs for about $40 shipped and then still use the pucks I have now, or find some 4" rear springs somewhere. The biggest factor is where do I want my Jeep to sit? Completely flat or slightly raised in the back?

BTW the Carolinas rock, I love Asheville, Charleston and OBX. Where are you located?

Quick Reply: Not Happy with the Rake of my Rancho Leveling Kit