Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oem driveshaft with torn boot make for ok "extra" driveshaft

Old 07-29-2015, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oem driveshaft with torn boot make for ok "extra" driveshaft

Getting ready to install a 3.5" rk lift on my jku. Driveshaft is on my list of follow up upgrades but will be a few months at least. If I happen to tear the boot as is common with taller lifts. Will the driveshaft still make for a good trail spare? I think I heard people still often drive a few thousand miles after tearing the boot.... Just curious what you all thought...as I figured it would make a good trail spare if I replaced prior to breaking...
Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My front driveshaft boot has been ripped for the past 8k miles, no issues. If it breaks, then I will just disconnect it, and drive it till the new one comes in.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My rear driveshaft boot was ripped off about 20k miles ago... 2 Moab trips, Hammers, Big Bear, Tahoe, still going strong!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The boot in the middle isn't an issue, tear it off and keep driving. Maybe pull the shaft apart and clean/regrease occasionally.

The boot on the joint is the one to watch. Spitting a little grease seems to be ok. But losing a lot of grease, the joint can dry out and eventually seize. Some people repack the joint and are ok for extended periods. Others don't chance it and just replace.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

So far it's the seized when you take it off, but tore....and you pack it, but don't use it....it should be fine sitting around and if you somehow destroyed the new stronger shaft while wheeling you should be just as good for swapping it in to continue your day of wheeling?
Basically I am saying if there is any reason why I should be scared to mess it up during the few months that I wait before swapping in an aftermarket one. Sounds like worst case (if watching), I'd tear the boot, and it would still make a great short term wheeling day replacement...
Old 07-30-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TJinaJKU
So far it's the seized when you take it off, but tore....and you pack it, but don't use it....it should be fine sitting around and if you somehow destroyed the new stronger shaft while wheeling you should be just as good for swapping it in to continue your day of wheeling?
Basically I am saying if there is any reason why I should be scared to mess it up during the few months that I wait before swapping in an aftermarket one. Sounds like worst case (if watching), I'd tear the boot, and it would still make a great short term wheeling day replacement...
need a translator lol but the answer is Yes.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
need a translator lol but the answer is Yes.
LOL, Ya, reading my post...its pretty bad. lots of typo's and incomplete thoughts there. sorry about that, I get really bad when trying to post with my phone.

To some up: The consensus seems to be; if I tear a boot and make a somewhat timely replacement with an aftermarket shaft, my OEM shaft could be packed with grease and stored as a sufficient trail repair drive shaft. Meaning that I don't need to absolutely baby the jeep out of fear of tearing a boot prior to purchasing the new drive shaft this winter.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

I've been running my Jeep with a torn driveshaft boot for about 4 years now. Several wheeling trips, several road trips and daily driver duties and no issues at all. So no, you won't do any harm just running it with a torn boot. If you want to use it as a trail spare, then that's fine, too. But not necessary to replace it just for the boot being torn.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TJinaJKU
To some up: The consensus seems to be; if I tear a boot and make a somewhat timely replacement with an aftermarket shaft, my OEM shaft could be packed with grease and stored as a sufficient trail repair drive shaft. Meaning that I don't need to absolutely baby the jeep out of fear of tearing a boot prior to purchasing the new drive shaft this winter.
If/when the joint starts spitting grease, it is not an immediate failure.

You just need to watch for the splatter and then monitor it. As long as there is still grease in the joint, no issues at all using it for a trail spare. (as noted, you need to monitor 'how much' grease is coming out. Could just be a little excess grease squeezing out due to the new steeper angles. Or it could a shredded boot which will eventually dry out the joint)

You also need to note whether the aftermarket shaft is a direct replacement, or if you are swapping flanges/yokes. Could be that the stock shaft will be useless as a spare...
Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

So you guys that are running with the torn middle boot on the rear driveshaft for long periods ...... Do you do anything different with regards to maintenance on whats under that torn boot? We tore ours prob about 9 months ago on a trail in arkansas and didn't notice it till a couple months ago when I added a couple skid plates.

Quick Reply: Oem driveshaft with torn boot make for ok "extra" driveshaft