Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK so 35s with 3.21 gears...need info/ opinions!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK so 35s with 3.21 gears...need info/ opinions!

So I have decided that Im most likely going to go to 35s even though I just have the 3.21 gears. Any opions/ info/ advice? Im wont be able to change the gearing for awhile so just want to know what Im probably getting myself into..

thanks

d
Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

Depends.. Are you a 2dr or a 4dr?? Manual or auto? Hard top or soft? How much extra weight? There are many different circumstances to factor in. For me, 35's and 3.21's are just fine. However, I have a 2 dr X, 6spd with a soft top and currently do not carry a spare. I also have superchips which helped out a bit. It drives just fine for now..

Last edited by XBlacky08X; 06-16-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

im driving the 3.21's as well, with 35's, 6-speed, and hard top. its pretty bad. but it's totally driveable. gas mileage went down to 14mg, compared to my 18 i used to get. on steep hills i have to go down to 4th, and regular hills i have to hit 5th. i will be regearing asap tho.

steep hill starts are a little harder, but managable. you really do feel the loss of power when you upgrade. its immediately noticeable the first time you start off. it kinda sucks, but its something you get used to. there's a lot of bogging when you're around lower rpms, but its nothing a downshift wont fix.

like i said, its just something you have to get used to. only takes a day or two. some people say to regear first and then get tires, which if i could do it all again, i would most likely do gears first because i drove the '10 rubi and it felt like a completely different vehicle. gearing was way more important than i thot, but i love my 35's. really makes a world of a difference the way she looks now. (details in sig)

i'm not sure where i saw it, but there was a deal at northridge i think for gears and install for $999 or something? someone correct me if i'm wrong, but that was a helluva deal.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

just noticed you're in washington! if you ever go wheeling, let me know! i'd love to go out!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Default Gears

I had 3.21 and 35's and I drove it for about a year it is totally doable mine is a 6 speed I think its a worse with a auto.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default specs

Originally Posted by XBlacky08X
Depends.. Are you a 2dr or a 4dr?? Manual or auto? Hard top or soft? How much extra weight? There are many different circumstances to factor in. For me, 35's and 3.21's are just fine. However, I have a 2 dr X, 6spd with a soft top and currently do not carry a spare. I also have superchips which helped out a bit. It drives just fine for now..
Ive got a 2 door six speed soft top as well but do have a spare.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default rides

Originally Posted by asuperhero
just noticed you're in washington! if you ever go wheeling, let me know! i'd love to go out!
Right on! Im up on Whidbey Island and work kind of a screwy schedule. But Im down to go if Ive got the time off for sure!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

I thought 32's and 3.21's were terrible. When you regear you'll say it was the best thing you've done.

Quick Reply: OK so 35s with 3.21 gears...need info/ opinions!