Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OME HD w/ AEV components??????

Old 12-20-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME HD w/ AEV components??????

I have a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited and have recently installed the OME HD kit with 10mm spacers on the front and back, I also have spidertrax spacers and some 35's. I know that most people go with front and rear adj. track bars and some form of adj control arms but I am looking into a different option and need some feedback. My rear Toe is 0.38 left and -0.18 right making my thrust angle 0.28 with is out of limit and create a pull to the right. My front caster is also 2.7 left and 2.8 right. I have been looking at AEV's Rear Track Bar Tower Kit to recenter my axel and correct the Toe and thrust angle, the kit is designed for a 3-4" lift and the track bar is not adjustable. I am hoping the payoff would be the more parallel track bar is worth not being able to adjust it and should still re-center my axel and correct the toe and thrust angle. The other 2 items i'm looking at are the AEV front steer kit with the one steering stabilizer, this is nearly for the benefit of repositioning my stab higher and paralleling the front drag link to a more correct position, and if the rear kit fixes my thrust angle i don't see a reason to have an adjustable track bar up front since my front end is all in the green alignment wise with the exception of caster with brings me to my third mod. I know that i will be sacrificing an inch or 2 of clearance right behind the front wheels but the AEV Geometry Correction Front Control Arm Brackets just seem to have some great benefits as they will prevent the axel boot from tearing off at full flex and correct my caster. I know this is a lot and I'm probably not asking the questions in the best way so please be easy on me. I would love any feedback about any of these items/mods/future issues i will have and any advice and experience. I have the JKS front and rear Adj Track bars on hold until i figure out what option will be best.....PLEASE HELP!!!

-Thanks, Jason
Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I installed the AEV Nth degree 4.5" on my JKU about 2 yrs ago. It's a nice quality lift for a daily driver.

I have since put on JKS front an rear adjustable track bars and all 8 RockKrawler adjustable arms. I still run the high steer kit. I am currently looking to upgrade the Bilstiens 5100 that came with the lift.

I found that once I started using it more off road, that I wanted more than what it was offering
Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed exactly what you are thinking about. I had traded a set of Teraflex 2.5" springs for OME 2" hd springs. Previously I had ran the 2.5" kit with Tera arms and was never really happy with the ride or steering feel. I had picked up the Caster brackets used and with plans of using them along with the high steer kit with the Ome springs+3/4" spacer. I can tell you that I couldnt be happier with the result. The steering is much tighter now and it rides a ton better than it did with the previous set up. I do plan on replacing the Tera rear track bar bracket with the AEV kit in the near future.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I have been looking at AEV's Rear Track Bar Tower Kit to recenter my axel and correct the Toe and thrust angle, the kit is designed for a 3-4" lift and the track bar is not adjustable. I am hoping the payoff would be the more parallel track bar is worth not being able to adjust it and should still re-center my axel and correct the toe and thrust angle.
How does re-centering the axle affect the toe?

Front Control Arm Brackets just seem to have some great benefits as they will prevent the axel boot from tearing off at full flex
How do they prevent the driveshaft (I assume you meant driveshaft and not axle?) from contacting the corner of the tranny pan?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I don't know about the d.s. boot statement, mine still looks like it'll hit.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

How do you correct the toe on the rear wheels, I've been told its not possible and have searched through the forums??

Also as much as i am not a fan of their products, sky****** sells a set of front and rear lower control arms, non-adjustable but longer than factory, their said to be for a 2.5-3.5" lift......would this be a good option instead of the control arm bracket as it will not force me to loose any clearance and still correct my caster issue on the front???
Old 12-23-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running OME HD springs, JKS adj track bar in front, AEV rear track bar and the AEV control arm bracketss. I'm very happy with the way my JK drives and handles, these uprades worked out well for me and my needs. The control brackets were going to be a temporary fix until I got adj control arms, but they are working very well and do not hinder any wheeling I do.
I have thought about the AEV front steer kit but I don't know if It's really needed.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Not sure about the terminology, but picture an overhead view of your control arms. They are not parallel with the frame. The frame mounts are inboard of the axle mounts. So, as your axle shifts side to side, one set of arms gets effectively longer and one side gets effectively shorter. This causes the axle to point slightly off the center line of the vehicle (maybe that's thrust angle). Its not much and I don't think you even notice when driving but a four wheel alignment machine is probably picking it up, Re-centering your axle should bring things back to neutral.

With that amount of lift I would think your front axle is no longer centered as well.

Quick Reply: OME HD w/ AEV components??????