Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OME shocks to ??? -- too rough

Old 03-28-2015, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME shocks to ??? -- too rough

Title is the long and short of it.

I have Old Man Emu shocks on my JK and they're just too rough. I live back on some MD pothole-infested roads, and even going slow these shocks are a pain to my three bulging vertebre discs. I'm not looking for prerunner speed trials or anything, but something with more compliance.

Most say go with the Rancho XL9000 adjustables and suite to taste. I've read discouraging reviews at settings 1-4, where I'd probably set them. I don't want floppy pancakes, especially in the rocks off-road.

Any other SOFT shocks to consider that will still keep all the unsprung weight of the 37's in check?

Thanks in advance!
J
Old 03-28-2015, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Right there with you J seems our gifted set of Skyjackers are the same way.. Way too stiff/rough but they didn't seem that why upon first installing them back in Aug.. something's changed and I'm not sure what it is.. Also.. let's put this perspective.. before these shocks no indication of any sort shimmy or wobble.. after the install.. we've shimmies and one very serious wobble.

I've been speaking with an old friend over at KYB shocks.. One thing I didn't know was that KYB says their Excel-G shocks are 10% stiffer/fermer that factory shocks, Then the Gas-a-Just shocks are 20% stiffer/firmer than factory shocks.. What I'm getting at, is acquiring the correct balance of shocks and tires..

The only thing I can offer you on this is something I've realized when first installing these Skyjackers.. they are hydro filled.. and I'm not sure what the recoil rate is, I do know that it is way too stiff for our standards.. Thus we'll be ordering a "new" set of KYB Excel-G shocks in a few weeks, then the 6K mile skyjackers will be up for grabs. So if your OME are hybro or something similar..this could be why the right isn't living up to your potential.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I am liking my new rancho 5000x shocks. Nothing short of remarkable for a $50 shock. With current rebate I'm into a set of 4 for $120 thru 4wd.com
Old 03-28-2015, 04:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by C2U5H
Most say go with the Rancho XL9000 adjustables and suite to taste. I've read discouraging reviews at settings 1-4, where I'd probably set them. I don't want floppy pancakes, especially in the rocks off-road.

Did you happen to notice this on their website, or in any of the posts that Rancho's forum rep has made?

Limited Lifetime Warranty / 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer

Try them for three months. If they don't work for your situation, nothing lost, send them back and try something else. (I have never run these 9000's, but $68 each after rebate, combined with that 90-day offer seems like trying them out might be a no brainer)

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-28-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

What springs, tires, psi, other changes have you made? I'm running the OME nitrocharged shocks with my 2.5in MC DR and love the ride.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with NJKURPat. I find the OME ride to be quite smooth matched with RK 2.5 springs. Did you change anything else? Try lowering your PSI a bit.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	10410378_821450484589242_5265216566951130441_n.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	603731 I love my fox shocks.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JeepersDigest
Right there with you J seems our gifted set of Skyjackers are the same way.. Way too stiff/rough but they didn't seem that why upon first installing them back in Aug.. something's changed and I'm not sure what it is.. Also.. let's put this perspective.. before these shocks no indication of any sort shimmy or wobble.. after the install.. we've shimmies and one very serious wobble. I've been speaking with an old friend over at KYB shocks.. One thing I didn't know was that KYB says their Excel-G shocks are 10% stiffer/fermer that factory shocks, Then the Gas-a-Just shocks are 20% stiffer/firmer than factory shocks.. What I'm getting at, is acquiring the correct balance of shocks and tires.. The only thing I can offer you on this is something I've realized when first installing these Skyjackers.. they are hydro filled.. and I'm not sure what the recoil rate is, I do know that it is way too stiff for our standards.. Thus we'll be ordering a "new" set of KYB Excel-G shocks in a few weeks, then the 6K mile skyjackers will be up for grabs. So if your OME are hybro or something similar..this could be why the right isn't living up to your potential.
shocks caused your jeep to have a shimmy and wobble?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
What springs, tires, psi, other changes have you made? I'm running the OME nitrocharged shocks with my 2.5in MC DR and love the ride.
I'm running Rock Krawler's 2.5" Max Travel kit, so which ever linear 2.5" coil spring (which really gave me 3.5" on my two door) comes with that kit. Coil springs are seated correctly. I'm running OME Long Travel Nitrocharger Sport shocks, but unsure of the part numbers. Tires are 37" x 12.5" x 17" Nitto Trail Grappler MTs @ 28-30 psi.

Originally Posted by MMXJKU
I agree with NJKURPat. I find the OME ride to be quite smooth matched with RK 2.5 springs. Did you change anything else? Try lowering your PSI a bit.
I'm as low as I want to go safely at highway speeds, the shocks have to be the key.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Did you happen to notice this on their website, or in any of the posts that Rancho's forum rep has made?

Limited Lifetime Warranty / 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer

Try them for three months. If they don't work for your situation, nothing lost, send them back and try something else. (I have never run these 9000's, but $68 each after rebate, combined with that 90-day offer seems like trying them out might be a no brainer)
I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS! Thank you. Makes it difficult not to give them a try.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C2U5H
I'm running Rock Krawler's 2.5" Max Travel kit, so which ever linear 2.5" coil spring (which really gave me 3.5" on my two door) comes with that kit. Coil springs are seated correctly. I'm running OME Long Travel Nitrocharger Sport shocks, but unsure of the part numbers. Tires are 37" x 12.5" x 17" Nitto Trail Grappler MTs @ 28-30 psi.

I'm as low as I want to go safely at highway speeds, the shocks have to be the key.

I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS! Thank you. Makes it difficult not to give them a try.
30 psi might be a little too high on 37s. I'm running 33s at 28-30 and as far as my understanding, the larger the tire the lower you should have your psi. Also depending on when you installed your kit, RK changed to a progressive spring (I think) so you could be running either. Because I'm not running larger tires, my knowledge about them is only what I've read. Try looking around the forum and see what some of the guys are running on 37s, I think around 25 psi. You could also check your compression in your shocks. How long have you been running them? They could be worn, or a mfg defect. Mine were stiff, but still able to hand compress during install.

I had the 9000s on my 2dr before I changed to my 4dr and although they were a good shock, I love my OME shocks. But just with everything in life, everyone has different preferences and opinions. And with the risk free trial it's a great option to consider.

Quick Reply: OME shocks to ??? -- too rough