Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overland/Expedition Build Advice

Old 04-06-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overland/Expedition Build Advice

Im headed out to MOAB UTAH! I will be taking 3 days to drive the White Rim Trail, and maybe Fins & Things. Anyway, Im doing some light modification on the jeep to make it a little more capable, or rather more prepared. Im trying to keep the budget reasonable and am not making any modifications to the drivetrain or suspension. Please take a look at the list below and let me know what you think!

Do I need a HiLift?

Do I need a Shovel and an Ax?

Do I need a steering stabilizer flip?

CB Radio-Cobra C75 WV ST, 3' FireFly Antennae w/ Cooltech mount on the license plate

Sway Bar Quick Disconnects- JKS or TeraFlex

Skid Plates-M.O.R.E., or Rock Hard, or River Raider, or Synergy

Old 04-06-2014, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

Default overland

yes to a highlift and anything else you need for self recovery, winch tools shovels etc plus extras like water food first aid . ax way down on the list but yes. The way it has always been for me no winch = stuck ( wished I had a winch) with winch = never stuck. just coincidence i guess.. bottom line you need to be able to get yourself out of pretty much any stuck situation.. try Expedition portal dot com for some overlanding ideas
Old 04-06-2014, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
yes to a highlift and anything else you need for self recovery, winch tools shovels etc plus extras like water food first aid . ax way down on the list but yes. The way it has always been for me no winch = stuck ( wished I had a winch) with winch = never stuck. just coincidence i guess.. bottom line you need to be able to get yourself out of pretty much any stuck situation.. try Expedition portal dot com for some overlanding ideas
THANKS for the advice... Im planning on bringing basic tools, and already have a tow strap and shackles.

I do not have a winch and probably wont for the trip... just not enough funds.

I will be bringing plenty of water, I have already purchased 2 3 gallon tanks and may be purchasing more.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Covered_Wagon
Im headed out to MOAB UTAH! I will be taking 3 days to drive the White Rim Trail, and maybe Fins & Things. Anyway, Im doing some light modification on the jeep to make it a little more capable, or rather more prepared. Im trying to keep the budget reasonable and am not making any modifications to the drivetrain or suspension. Please take a look at the list below and let me know what you think!

Do I need a HiLift?
You're unlikely to use it for White Rim Trail, and Fins and Things. Just make sure to have a good spare and the ability to get your Jeep in the air to swap it out. A Hi-Lift is not ideal for that, but can be pressed into service, even if precariously so.

Do I need a Shovel and an Ax?
It's always a good idea to have a shovel, though you probably won't use it either. There aren't many trees out there to tackle with an ax. Actually, in either place the local rangers would get pretty upset if you did so.

Do I need a steering stabilizer flip?
The SS is very vulnerable where it's at. I'd relocate it.

CB Radio-Cobra C75 WV ST, 3' FireFly Antennae w/ Cooltech mount on the license plate
Sounds good. Who are you going to talk to? Someone you'll be with, I expect. Either trail is well-traveled enough this time of year that if you get into trouble someone will be along within an hour or two. Not so during the heat of summer. Fins and Things you can walk back to town without too much trouble. White Rim Trail, a CB probably won't get you out of trouble--maybe, though, if you're lucky enough to have someone up on the mesa listening. Range of them is not very far at all--think a few miles in the very best conditions. Cell phone is very iffy, at best, out on WRT.

Sway Bar Quick Disconnects- JKS or TeraFlex
Either. JKS is nice because it's adjustable. TF is nice because it has the storage pins. You'll definitely want to disconnect on Fins and Things because there are a few places to really articulate. On WRT you'll want to disconnect just for ride comfort.

Skid Plates-M.O.R.E., or Rock Hard, or River Raider, or Synergy
I have done a lot with not that much in the way of skids. Definitely protect the oil pan. I like the Rancho Rock Hard for simplicity. I also have the front lower control arm skids and rear shock mount skids from EVO, and they've gotten banged up some. Also replaced the diffy covers. Wouldn't worry about too much more than that for your chosen routes (now, if you were headed up Blanca Peak, but that's another state, LOL). People tend to underrate the OEM skid plates. I wouldn't spend a dime upgrading them at this point.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply Mark.

So the hilift isnt likely to be used.

Any thoughts on a brand for the SS relocate? Ive seen that most go with a Fox stabilizer.

As for the CB, I wont be going out with anyone else, so its just there to communicate in case of emergency. Any thoughts for a better way to do this. I wasn't sure if there would be many or any other people on WRT, but hoped it would be better than nothing.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the reply Mark. So the hilift isnt likely to be used. Any thoughts on a brand for the SS relocate? Ive seen that most go with a Fox stabilizer. As for the CB, I wont be going out with anyone else, so its just there to communicate in case of emergency. Any thoughts for a better way to do this. I wasn't sure if there would be many or any other people on WRT, but hoped it would be better than nothing.
I know you've already planned this trip, but rule of thumb is, never wheel alone. Being you have no real recovery capabilities + wheeling alone = high risk...

A fox stabilizer relocate or stabilizer itself? Don't break the bank on an expensive SS. Even the stock one is more than adequate. Most people you see running $100+ SS do it because someone else has it or they just have the funds to do so.

I would spend the money on extra parts in case of a break on the trail...
Old 04-06-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

As Mark stated above (he seems to have a good grasp on your trail/route) JKS discos are nice and the OEM skids are pretty durable.

My list for being out in the wilderness (Army in me kicks in)

- plenty of water
- first aid kit (preferably a survival kit)
- compass
- zip ties
- good knife
- water purifying tablets
- good back pack
- rope (100')
- sun block
- trekking pole
- something to mark your trail (orange would be best)
- detailed map of your route left with friends
- handheld GPS
- pepper spray
- whistle
Old 04-06-2014, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

* high calorie food bars
Old 04-06-2014, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

Damn phone

* way to start a fire
Old 04-06-2014, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Battlefrog21
I know you've already planned this trip, but rule of thumb is, never wheel alone. Being you have no real recovery capabilities + wheeling alone = high risk...

A fox stabilizer relocate or stabilizer itself? Don't break the bank on an expensive SS. Even the stock one is more than adequate. Most people you see running $100+ SS do it because someone else has it or they just have the funds to do so.

I would spend the money on extra parts in case of a break on the trail...
Advice Noted BattleFrog.

Quick Reply: Overland/Expedition Build Advice