Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overland/Expedition Build Advice

Old 04-06-2014, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Covered_Wagon
Advice Noted BattleFrog.
If I came across rude, it was not my intent...
Old 04-06-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

... As for the CB, I wont be going out with anyone else, so its just there to communicate in case of emergency. Any thoughts for a better way to do this. I wasn't sure if there would be many or any other people on WRT, but hoped it would be better than nothing.
I rent a satellite phone a couple times a year from roadpost.com -- just about to do it again, sale at $6/day on iridium. Might be something to consider. Never had to use it for an emergency, much like insurance.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.T
I rent a satellite phone a couple times a year from roadpost.com -- just about to do it again, sale at $6/day on iridium. Might be something to consider. Never had to use it for an emergency, much like insurance.
Does the $6 cover usage? If so, that's a hell of a deal. Use to cost us a fortune to use it on missions...
Old 04-06-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Battlefrog21
Does the $6 cover usage? If so, that's a hell of a deal. Use to cost us a fortune to use it on missions...
Just ordered -- $1.79/min or bundle a calling plan. I make a test call or two, so the $1.79/minute works for me. To me, it's a reasonable expense.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Just ordered -- $1.79/min or bundle a calling plan. I make a test call or two, so the $1.79/minute works for me. To me, it's a reasonable expense.
Agreed... And that is still a good rate. Use to cost us $4 a min...
Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 PM
JK Freak

Not sure if you have a family/kids but we just went on a 5 day expedition with myself, wife and 2 kids. This is our 6th trip and although the wife wants more "easy" solutions - I have not found any gaps yet. I would rather have the right tools to get what we need than to have easy solutions short term.

We did get stuck for 13 hours while camping and we were fine and plenty warm/fed in October.

Basics I take on every trip - I have not used many of my "paranoid items," but when I have to...It will be worth it:

Survive:
- 10 Gallons of water - approx 80lbs addl. weight so keep this in mind while packing and distributing weight. ( 64 Oz of water per day - you will survive for a few months weather permitting)
- Katadyn Combi water filter and a spare filter
- Water purifying tablets
- Whistle/ signal mirror and flare gun
- EMT First aid kit with antibiotics and pain meds
- 8 Datrex 3600 calorie bars ( Will also dissolve in water for babies or young kids to drink )
- Assorted nuts and Jerky
- Assorted food cans/ sandwiches/ chips
- Waterproof matches, firestarter and multiple lighters
- Aluminum Foil
- 3 Polar fleece blankets and wool socks for the Fam
- Castlile soap and body scrubber
- 5 packs baby wipes
- 80 SPF Sunscreen
- Compass
- Fishing line, hooks, bait
- 4 Eureka 10/30 sleeping bags
- Bottle of Jack!

Mechanical/tools/sanity:
- Toolkit
- Axe, Shovel and Saw
- 4 Person Oztent
- Hammer
- Highlift Jack
- Sharpening stones for knives/Axe
- Solar flashlight and Radio
- 4 Gallons extra Gas via 2 rotopax
- 2 quarts oil and 1 quart diff fluid
- WD40
- Air compressor
- ARB tire repair kit
- Duct tape
- Metal wire and steel stakes to make wire grill
- Pen, paper, books
- Solar cell charger
- Multi-tool
- Paracord

Protection:
- .22 Rifle 45mm handgun and wifes 9mm + ammo
- Various knives / Machete
- Bear Spray

I keep all of this and still have plenty of room for the 4 of us and the dog. No matter how easy the terrain, be prepared for the worst.

You dont need a stabilizer. You also dont "need" the disconnects, definitely not for where your headed. I have the dominon offroad ss relo kit.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by JKRescue08; 04-06-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All great advice!

Good luck and have fun...I have to say that I'm a little jealous, I've always wanted to get out there and explore.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Thanks for the reply Mark.

So the hilift isnt likely to be used.

Any thoughts on a brand for the SS relocate? Ive seen that most go with a Fox stabilizer.

As for the CB, I wont be going out with anyone else, so its just there to communicate in case of emergency. Any thoughts for a better way to do this. I wasn't sure if there would be many or any other people on WRT, but hoped it would be better than nothing.
I have the JeepSWAG relocate kit. Brett Woods used to frequent and sponsor this forum way back when and he was the one to create the original relocate kit. His is 100% stainless steel. As for the SS, if you have the money I'd go no more expensive than a Teraflex ($50). If you don't, I'd keep the stocker until it fails.

While I don't want to sound like I'm disagreeing with the advice to always wheel with someone, fact is folks go on vacations and want to get a little wheeling in. Couple possible answers: For Moab, each morning folks gather over at City Market (local grocery store) and head on out. You could probably find someone to go with you on Fins and Things. But, it is not very far from town. If you got stuck, you'd have to walk a couple miles out, maybe, if no one came along. But, unless you're out in the heat of the summer, the trail is pretty popular. Then going by yourself presents only one real danger: Something catastrophic happens and you really need help right then. Maybe you tumble off a fin. They are pretty tall and steep on the sides, but also safely wide for vehicle travel, and you won't have any trouble seeing the route 99.99% of the time. The only one time I can think of you can't really see where to turn is on Kenny's Hill. Just remember to turn left immediately after you top it or you'll drive straight over the other side! If you have Wells' guidebook (strongly recommend), just follow the advice closely in it. And if you're like me, you probably won't take Kenny's Hill that first time anyway--there is a bypass. Took me until my third run to actually climb it.

It's easy to follow the route on Fins and Things ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	EJS, Apr 09, Sandy's Pic's, 0582, Fins and Things.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	543862

From the bottom, Kenny's Hill is intimidating if you've never driven up anything so steep ...

Name:	Moab Trip, Apr-May 10, Jeff's Images, 0038, Mark on Kenny's Hill.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	543863Click image for larger version

Name:	Moab Trip, Apr-May 10, Mark's Images, 8760, Ray on Fins and Things.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	543864

White Rim Trail you need a permit, and the chances of finding someone at the last minute to go is pretty remote (if you did, you could probably add them to your permit, but confirm that first with the NPS). I'd run WRT by myself, given the chance (have run it fully twice now, and a couple other times just out and back by myself). One time I was in the heat of summer and we saw one guy out there--and he was on a bicycle! The rest of the time there are folks going both directions, many in groups on bicycles with supporting vehicle somewhere along the trail. Again, your biggest risk is that you get into trouble and need help now. Even if you have a satellite phone, it isn't going to get you that immediate help. There's not really a good answer for that--it's just a risk you choose to take (or not). WRT is basically a dirt road. There are some steep climbs and descents, and a couple very narrow spots with you're-gonna-die-if-you-don't-stay-on-the-road dropoffs that will get your attention. But other than a couple of those, it's a wonderfully scenic drive and definitely something every Jeep owner should experience someday. If I didn't have other options, I'd run it by myself during the right time of year when it tends to be busier. Just be prepared. You could get all of the way to near the exit from the drive, and find the Green River has flooded the road and you have to turn back. Did you take enough water and gas for that? 2WD is your friend to maximize gas mileage.

This is one of the wider parts of the steep drop-offs ...

Name:	Moab Trip, Apr-May 10, Ray's Images, 1908, Shafer Trail.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	543865

The views are worth it ...

Name:	Moab Overland 2013, Apr 13, 5_7623, View from Murphy Hogback.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	543866

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-07-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKRescue08
Protection:
- .22 Rifle 45mm handgun and wifes 9mm + ammo
- Various knives / Machete
- Bear Spray
Good list, but be careful carrying handguns in Utah. Needs to be unloaded, and not easily accessible unless you have a permit. They've become understandably strict on the rules since a ranger was recently shot. It goes without saying to check the most recent gun laws before you go packing.

I highly recommend the Tuffy under seat lockbox for this purpose.

Last edited by ShakyJake; 04-07-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ShakyJake

Good list, but be careful carrying handguns in Utah. Needs to be unloaded, and not easily accessible unless you have a permit. They've become understandably strict on the rules since a ranger was recently shot. It goes without saying to check the most recent gun laws before you go packing.

I highly recommend the Tuffy under seat lockbox for this purpose.
Definitely. If your travelling state to state always know the laws! I also have the tuffy drawer and a modified bestop drawer for passenger side.

Quick Reply: Overland/Expedition Build Advice