Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion Angle with 2.5 inch sprint lift.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Angle with 2.5 inch sprint lift.

Hey guys, do you all think i would have to make a front and rear pinion angle adjustment with a 2.5 inch lift? I know it is not much but i would think any spring lift would require a pinion adjustment. IDK, anyone out there with experience with this, cause the lift i am looking at does not come with adjustable control arms? Thanks
Old 09-29-2016, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry i really can spell, i meant to say spring lift lol
Old 09-29-2016, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on a 2.5 no. its not enough to cause issues.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
on a 2.5 no. its not enough to cause issues.
Do you know if it will narrow the wheelbase a little? If so i guess i could fix this after i get adjustable control arms.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You didn't mention was caster. That is something that you just might want to address. (depending on your own opinion of how it drives with a 2.5" lift.)

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-29-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You didn't mention was caster. That is something that you just might want to address. (depending on your own opinion of how it drives with a 2.5" lift.)
Do you think it would change much with a 2.5 inch lift? Thats another reason for getting the adjustable control arms, to get back to the stock driveline angles. But if i pushed the front axle forward and the rear axle rearward, i would think that would fix the caster as well.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Any change in height changes the caster and makes the steering more flighty. The higher you go, the worse it gets. At 2.5", some correct it, others don't. That's why I said it will depend on your personal opinion of how it handles. But again, at that height, I personally would be thinking more about low caster than about the minimal decrease in wheel base or the small amount the rear pinion is raised.

You are talking about a full set of 8 control arms, correct? Many people might think that is overkill for just a 2.5" lift. But it's your money, and it will allow you to reposition the axles forward/backward.

Just remember that up front, caster and pinion are inverses. Raise the caster to make the steering better, and you just lowered the pinion and made the driveshaft angles worse. Raise the pinion to reduce those angles, and you just made the steering worse. It's all about the happy medium on that front axle. (it gets to be more of an issue on taller lifts. At 2.5", you shouldn't have much to worry over. Just get the caster where you are comfortable with it.)

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-29-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any change in height changes the caster and makes the steering more flighty. The higher you go, the worse it gets. At 2.5", some correct it, others don't. That's why I said it will depend on your personal opinion of how it handles. But again, at that height, I personally would be thinking more about low caster than about the minimal decrease in wheel base or the small amount the rear pinion is raised.

You are talking about a full set of 8 control arms, correct? Many people might think that is overkill for just a 2.5" lift. But it's your money, and it will allow you to reposition the axles forward/backward.

Just remember that up front, caster and pinion are inverses. Raise the caster to make the steering better, and you just lowered the pinion and made the driveshaft angles worse. Raise the pinion to reduce those angles, and you just made the steering worse. It's all about the happy medium on that front axle. (it gets to be more of an issue on taller lifts. At 2.5", you shouldn't have much to worry over. Just get the caster where you are comfortable with it.)
Yeah i was thinking about all eight adjustable control arms. Do you know if i get a professional alignment they will adjust my control arms to get me back close to stock, or do they not do that? And on the rear axle the caster doesn't matter as much does it?
Old 09-29-2016, 08:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

No caster on the rear axle, it's just pinion angle to think about. For aftermarket double-cardan driveshafts, you will want the pinion pointed up toward the tcase output. Stock rear shaft, should probably be happy angled up slightly where ever it ends up after the lift.

Talk to your local alignment shops. Some will mess with adjustable ca's, others won't. Depends on how much time they think they will have to put into it.

The arms should come with some generic starting measurements for various lift heights, start with those, or search through a few threads on the specific coils you are looking at. See if you can find the actual lift height you might expect, and the arm measurements that those people went with.

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-29-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

No caster on the rear axle, it's just pinion angle to think about. For aftermarket double-cardan driveshafts, you will want the pinion pointed up toward the tcase output. Stock rear shaft, should probably be happy angled up slightly where ever it ends up after the lift.

Talk to your local alignment shops. Some will mess with adjustable ca's, others won't. Depends on how much time they think they will have to put into it.

The arms should come with some generic starting measurements for various lift heights, start with those, or search through a few threads on the specific coils you are looking at. See if you can find the actual lift height you might expect, and the arm measurements that those people went with.
I know on the rear drive shaft, measuring the output shaft angle on the t case and the pinion angle on the rear axle, how they have to be at the same angle, because i have a stock drive shaft... so i should be good there. And since the front axle has a stock drive shaft as well i know the angle of the t case output shaft and the front axle pinion need to match. So if i move the front axle forward a bit.. probably close to stock or a tad more that should get my camber to around six degrees.. which is factory right? At this point i should be able to get the front pinion angle really close to what i need it to be to match the t case. Does that sound about right? Thanks for helping btw.. good info

Quick Reply: Pinion Angle with 2.5 inch sprint lift.