Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion Angle with 2.5 inch sprint lift.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Factory caster is 4.2 (+/- 0.5 ?) It will probably be in the low 3's after you add the lift, with correspondingly flightier steering. Many people seem to like 5 degrees post-lift.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you are thinking of front pinion/caster as two separate things that you can adjust independently of each other? If you want to raise the caster, you will be rotating the housing, and the pinion is going to go down. It's automatic. Moving the axle 1/4" forward (or whatever minimal amount it moved with a 2.5" lift?) isn't going to change that. (Unless you do some cutting and welding, or buy an expensive aftermarket housing, you aren't going to change one without it affecting the other.)

As mentioned, front pinion angle probably won't be an issue at that height, so just get the caster where you want it. And be sure to flex it out and check driveshaft clearance!!
Old 09-29-2016, 10:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Factory caster is 4.2 (+/- 0.5 ?) It will probably be in the low 3's after you add the lift, with correspondingly flightier steering. Many people seem to like 5 degrees post-lift.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you are thinking of front pinion/caster as two separate things that you can adjust independently of each other? If you want to raise the caster, you will be rotating the housing, and the pinion is going to go down. It's automatic. Moving the axle 1/4" forward (or whatever minimal amount it moved with a 2.5" lift?) isn't going to change that. (Unless you do some cutting and welding, or buy an expensive aftermarket housing, you aren't going to change one without it affecting the other.)

As mentioned, front pinion angle probably won't be an issue at that height, so just get the caster where you want it. And be sure to flex it out and check driveshaft clearance!!

Sounds good, thank you
Old 09-30-2016, 02:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
Yeah i was thinking about all eight adjustable control arms. Do you know if i get a professional alignment they will adjust my control arms to get me back close to stock, or do they not do that? And on the rear axle the caster doesn't matter as much does it?
Most shops wont touch CA's.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Most shops don't have the sense to know what to do with CAs.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Originally Posted by jedg
Most shops don't have the sense to know what to do with CAs.
I have adjusted the rear on my old tj, just not the front. But i think i can probably do it, with a 2.5 inch lift it can't be much of an adjustment. I have a jeep shop near by too, just don't really want to pay if i dont have to.

Quick Reply: Pinion Angle with 2.5 inch sprint lift.