Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion angle and DS issue

Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion angle and DS issue

Ok. I think I've really screwed the pooch here. I thought I did all my research on getting a new DS for the rear of my JK. Called Tom Woods and gave him my measurements for my current DS length. He built and shipped my DS to me, and it's beautiful. BUT I didn't realize until I opened it that it's a double cardan. This wouldn't be an issue IF I had adjustable control arms, but I don't. I think I may be in over my head here. Not going to install anything with the hopes that maybe he will take it back if I explain how I messed up. Are my only options send it back, or get adjustable CAs?
Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep you need a straight pinion angle for those. Why did you change from stock? I am still running a stock one with 4" of lift and coilovers.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always call Tom Woods and ask them . How much lift do you have if any ? I would just get adjustable CA's call it good
-2* pinion to DS angle....
Old 07-26-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna call Tom Monday morning.

Right now the difference in the angle of the pinion and the angle of the DS is 7degrees.

I'm running a 2.5" lift, which isn't much, but my boot is torn AGAIN on my DS and I am tired of dealing with it.

Also, if I make the pinion angle correct, it is going to rotate my axle so that my coil springs are in even more of a bow. Is that not going to be an issue?

Last edited by rozzman10; 07-26-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rozzman10
I'm gonna call Tom Monday morning.

Right now the difference in the angle of the pinion and the angle of the DS is 7degrees.

I'm running a 2.5" lift, which isn't much, but my boot is torn AGAIN on my DS and I am tired of dealing with it.

Also, if I make the pinion angle correct, it is going to rotate my axle so that my coil springs are in even more of a bow. Is that not going to be an issue?
I guess it all boils down to, if you want to use that nice DS get adjustable upper CA's. Get your pinion angle right and if your coils are bowed to much
Use coil wedges to correct bow...man J ust E mty E very P ocket.....lol. Good luck

Quick Reply: Pinion angle and DS issue