Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plans for my JK

Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans for my JK

So I got a good deal on a used 2007 JKU Sahara.
It should arrive to me in the next week or so.

My plan when I get it is this:

3.5" RK Mid Arm Flex Lift w/ Bilstein 5100's. I'm going to wait on the bumpstops and get those later to see what size would work best for the trail.
New rims and 315/75R16 Duratracs

A regear - either Yukon 5.13's or 4.88's. I'm leaning toward the 5.13.

New Tom Wood front CV driveshaft.

Poly Performance sleeve and gusset kit for the front D30

My question is...What else does everyone think about this. I think it's a pretty complete set up. I AM on a budget so there's not much to play around with. But this is what I think I can do with the budget I'm on. I might cut the stock flares to save some dollars.

So what's everyone's opinions. Good, Bad, Would you change something? Go easy on me. I'm not new to jeeps, but the last one I had was an 01 TJ that I had to part ways with in 2007 so it's been a while. This IS going to be my DD so just keep that in mind too.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a lot of lift for 34s. Spare yourself all the issues and do the 1.5" or 2.5" lift. You'll net more than advertised as you have no weight on that Jeep.

Also, I'd confirm the rear axle is a D44. Early 2007 Jeeps came with D35 in the rear. May have only been the JKs. If yours did, start looking for some new axles.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
That's a lot of lift for 34s. Spare yourself all the issues and do the 1.5" or 2.5" lift. You'll net more than advertised as you have no weight on that Jeep. Also, I'd confirm the rear axle is a D44. Early 2007 Jeeps came with D35 in the rear. May have only been the JKs. If yours did, start looking for some new axles.
^^^^^^. And if you do decide on 3.5" then look at the synergy draglink flip kit.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

That's a lot of lift for 34s. Spare yourself all the issues and do the 1.5" or 2.5" lift. You'll net more than advertised as you have no weight on that Jeep.

Also, I'd confirm the rear axle is a D44. Early 2007 Jeeps came with D35 in the rear. May have only been the JKs. If yours did, start looking for some new axles.
I agree about the dana 35. If I go to inspect the car and notice it's got one. I'm just going to find a different JK. There were a few other ones. Same price range and same features. In that same 07-08 range that I could settle with. And I'm thinking the 3.5 would be good for me especially down the road because at some point when I can afford a cheap DD and make my JK my weekend monster, I'll want to throw 37's on it.

And is the draglink flip necessary?
Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VipermanGT2
I agree about the dana 35. If I go to inspect the car and notice it's got one. I'm just going to find a different JK. There were a few other ones. Same price range and same features. In that same 07-08 range that I could settle with. And I'm thinking the 3.5 would be good for me especially down the road because at some point when I can afford a cheap DD and make my JK my weekend monster, I'll want to throw 37's on it. And is the draglink flip necessary?
You'll want the flip if you go 3.5". I'd avoid that since there is no need for that much lift and you limit uptravel.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

You'll want the flip if you go 3.5". I'd avoid that since there is no need for that much lift and you limit uptravel.
Anyone else have any suggestions or advice?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 AM
JK Junkie

Anyone else have any suggestions or advice?
What's your wheeling plans?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree about the dana 35. If I go to inspect the car and notice it's got one. I'm just going to find a different JK. There were a few other ones. Same price range and same features. In that same 07-08 range that I could settle with. And I'm thinking the 3.5 would be good for me especially down the road because at some point when I can afford a cheap DD and make my JK my weekend monster, I'll want to throw 37's on it.

And is the draglink flip necessary?
Seems to me like your plan is made. There is a point of no return with JKs, where once you pass a certain height, tons of other surrounding components suddenly need to be adressed or upgraded.

So if I read you right, you want to start with a jeep that will be overlifted and won't look right, until you can afford another daily driver, and then end up with a jeep that looks right, but is suddenly under-geared.

In short, you wanna go from overlifted to under geared. There's tons of stickies on here that will teach you all you need to know about the beast to help you make the right choices. I encourage you to start there.

Cheers.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Da10A
Seems to me like your plan is made. There is a point of no return with JKs, where once you pass a certain height, tons of other surrounding components suddenly need to be adressed or upgraded.

So if I read you right, you want to start with a jeep that will be overlifted and won't look right, until you can afford another daily driver, and then end up with a jeep that looks right, but is suddenly under-geared.

In short, you wanna go from overlifted to under geared. There's tons of stickies on here that will teach you all you need to know about the beast to help you make the right choices. I encourage you to start there.

Cheers.

Well the plan for 37's would be wayyyyy down the road and at that point I would have more freedom to do what I want. What gears would you suggest for 35's? I think the 315/75r16 duratracs measure out around 34.5 or so. What other components would I want to upgrade with this setup? I thought I had the necessary ones pretty much covered?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
What's your wheeling plans?
No heavy duty wheeling for the most part. Maybe occasional weekend camping trips down some trails but nothing hardcore.

Quick Reply: Plans for my JK