Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poison spyder rear bumper HELP !!!

Old 10-19-2014, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have to reinstall the rubber bump stops that are originally on the tailgate that the tire presses up against?
Old 10-19-2014, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

I'm missing a pic to understand what's wrong...your recent pics show a big gap between the tire and your tailgate. I have an earlier tire carrier but it should be basic to what I have. Can you take a pic of the whole backside of the jeep for me?

Sent from the swamp while taggin' a gator!
Old 10-19-2014, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Seabee CMC
Do you have to reinstall the rubber bump stops that are originally on the tailgate that the tire presses up against?
I had to trim mine down for my tire to fit....just sayin'...

Old 10-19-2014, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDANJK22
The plates bottom out on each other at each end ... & doesn't look like much material would be left ...
Call them tomorrow. As I mentioned, my carrier works the same way and I had to cut the brackets down so I could slide them in further. You don't want to cut into the slots though and it doesn't look like you have much room to cut. They may need to send you out a new bracket.

Are you running super narrow tires? Looks to me like the problem is that your tires are too small
Old 10-19-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The picture looks like the plate could be rotated 90 degrees because the top slot looks longer than the side slot. I have no experience with this set up, just what it looks like in the picture.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Looks to me like the problem is that your tires are too small
That was gonna be my next comment....cheers

Old 10-19-2014, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seabee CMC
I don't see how they would help , or allow the carrier to close

That hole would be where the rubber bump would go into ....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-7804746.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	580593  
Old 10-19-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE="CajunTiger;3998857"]I'm missing a pic to understand what's wrong...your recent pics show a big gap between the tire and your tailgate. I have an earlier tire carrier but it should be basic to what I have. Can you take a pic of the whole backside of the jeep for me? Sent from the swamp while taggin' a gator![/QUOTE

That gap , is my problem . I cannot draw the tire in close enough to tighten against the carrier rails .

Name:	image-1213902152.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	580594  
Old 10-19-2014, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Call them tomorrow. As I mentioned, my carrier works the same way and I had to cut the brackets down so I could slide them in further. You don't want to cut into the slots though and it doesn't look like you have much room to cut. They may need to send you out a new bracket. Are you running super narrow tires? Looks to me like the problem is that your tires are too small
I will ca tomorrow and ask ... See what kind of light they can give me , I don't feel good about cutting Into them either .... Not much left to do so

The tires are 285/70R17s on 4.5 bs ...
I have a feeling that is the issue ....
Woulda been a nice heads up that there is a tire size minimal requirement ! ....
Old 10-19-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Broncorif
The picture looks like the plate could be rotated 90 degrees because the top slot looks longer than the side slot. I have no experience with this set up, just what it looks like in the picture.
It was a good call ! One that I thought could save my day , I put only the top bolt in to see if it would give me enough ... And then in theory tighten the sides up where ever they land .... But no success .... : (

Name:	image-838862632.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	580595  

Quick Reply: Poison spyder rear bumper HELP !!!