Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping noise

Old 07-15-2014, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping noise

Hey guys. Recently put on RK max travel lift which includes adj front track bar adj front and rear control arms, shocks and sway bar links.

The problem is when I go over bumps at 25-35 mph I hear a popping noise coming from the front end.

I also have a popping noise when a turn the wheel when it has been sitting a while or when the jeep is at a certain angle.

I'm not sure if these two problems are linked but does anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sway bar end links are my guess
Old 07-16-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like you'll need someone to turn the wheel while you're under it.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Loose control arms and track bar will pop. Retighten everything. Also check u-joints. Looking for loose components like said above takes two people. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same lift, there is some play in the joints on the front sway bar links that pop or click over every bump. If you shake the jeep aggressively side to side can you duplicate the noise? If so it might be the links, if not it is probably a loose track bar or control arm as mentioned above.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Before I had wobble problems so I checked the torque so I know torque isn't the problem. The right side control arm heim joints front and rear are loose and I'm going to have to remove them to tighten them, they along with the track bars jam nut is loose and won't stay. My sway bars are tight as can be, but they do rotate on the joint when you force them. It seems like it's coming from the front left not the front right but who knows since all the loose things are on the right.

I will check the torque again and try shaking it.

Last edited by JK_Convert; 07-17-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ball joints could also make a popping noise when turning and going over bumps
Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok so I am having this same problem. A popping noise when I drop into a small hole or road bump. Also pops when steering every once in a while. I checked my sway bar links how do you know when they are bad? Could It be that I sprayed the rubber knuckles with wd40? That's when it seemed to start.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK_Convert
Before I had wobble problems so I checked the torque so I know torque isn't the problem. The right side control arm heim joints front and rear are loose and I'm going to have to remove them to tighten them, they along with the track bars jam nut is loose and won't stay. My sway bars are tight as can be, but they do rotate on the joint when you force them. It seems like it's coming from the front left not the front right but who knows since all the loose things are on the right. I will check the torque again and try shaking it.
Hey jk_convert did you ever figure this out mine has been doing this since July. It is driving me crazy!!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Former Vendor

1st thing to do is get all of those jam nuts tight. Use Red Loc-Tite on the jam nut threads and tighten it as much as you can. They should be torqued to 250lbs, so if you get a 1ft wrench have a 250lbs person hang all of there weight on the end of that wrench. This should be tighten enough where it will not loosen up again.

Quick Reply: Popping noise