Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping noise....ugh!

Old 11-17-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Popping noise....ugh!

I have an '07 Rubicon 2dr with stock aluminum 17" wheels and 32" BFG's. I put a 2.5" Teraflex coil lift on and shortly after a popping noise has manifested from what seems to be the passenger rear. My first thoughts were the track bar. I went through the rear suspension and re-torqued everything. I did noticed that the rear passenger sway bar end link had been rubbing on my wheel. The damage was acute, so I figured it had to be from my off roading trip and all the flexing and have since ruled it out. I've searched this forum but everything I've found has been on larger lifts and most problems were coming from the front.

Any input is greatly appreciated, I really don't want to take it to the dealership and here how they can't pin point the problem but you owe us $300 in check out fees.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have aftermarket track bars?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:15 PM
JK Junkie

This is normal with your lift

Your need wheel spacers, or off-set rims

Cheaper solution; remove the 2 rear sway bar links, and install it INSIDE (instead of outside) I did it and no rubbing anymore
Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Jedi

I would say its the rear passnger coil hitting the track bar. The springs are bowed back rubbing the track bar. Alot of guys including me had the same issue. Cheap fix Rock Krawler 10 degree wedge. You have to call them 25 bucks. Expensive fix relocate the spring monts on axels.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
I would say its the rear passnger coil hitting the track bar. The springs are bowed back rubbing the track bar. Alot of guys including me had the same issue. Cheap fix Rock Krawler 10 degree wedge. You have to call them 25 bucks. Expensive fix relocate the spring monts on axels.
The OP wrote that the sway bar end link had been rubbing on the wheel (not the coil hitting the trac bar)
Old 11-17-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
The OP wrote that the sway bar end link had been rubbing on the wheel (not the coil hitting the trac bar)
Ok so I missed that.... sorry. Its still useful info. I have worked on this problem on 4 diffrent TeraFlex lifts.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the BB instead of springs and had to install an adjustable rear track bar to keep the passenger sway bar link from rubbing. I did reverse the link. Check to see if the rear axel is centered.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

is coils hit the track, you need adjustable control arms or they need to make skinner coils. it shouldnt be that close.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
is coils hit the track, you need adjustable control arms or they need to make skinner coils. it shouldnt be that close.
Actualy the wedge was the recomendation from Joe at TeraFlex. Set up is correct just the springs are bowed after the correction of the control arms to the correct pinion angle.

Last time I checked LA kits all have adjustable arms.

Last edited by wildandwillin; 11-17-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Sounds like a cheap fix, but if it works

Quick Reply: Popping noise....ugh!