Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portable Air Compressor outside of vehicle mounting

Old 12-25-2016, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
My old lady got me this for Xmas what you guys think?

Attachment 663438
That's a good one. I believe it's continuous duty, (compared to some others, anyway), and it automatically shuts off between tires when the hose pressure builds up.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That's a good one. I believe it's continuous duty, (compared to some others, anyway), and it automatically shuts off between tires when the hose pressure builds up.
Thanks she wasn't sure if it was a good one or not and neither did I ha. Been running electric lockers my whole life and always mooches air from friends
Old 12-26-2016, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

These 150psi compressors are on sale at HF, I may go pick one up. Can we get some general direction of where to add the silicone? I'm liking the idea of mounting it under the spare tire carrier.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After doing some research on the HF brand I don't think it will work very well. The HF 150psi unit only has 1.35 cf of volume. The Smittybuilt 2781 is a 5.65cf. At 1cf it will probably only fill one 35" before it has to sit and cool down. \
I have a Viair 480c in my Excursion with a 3.5 gallon tank to run air lockers and air bags. It takes forever to fill tires with it. Granted it has 38's but even filling the 35's it takes a long time. It might be time to sell it and get a Smittybuilt unit to replace it.

karls10jk
The dimensions for the Smittybuilt unit are 15x11x12
Old 12-26-2016, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The 15*11*12 absolutely will not fit without serious modification, sadly. I'm going 35's this week so it sounds like the Smitty 2781 is a better choice than the HF special.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Kind of what I figured. I might tackle a custom spare tire mount to accommodate this when I have some time. If it happens to work I will post the info. I might even see if MORryde wants to incorporate it as an option/upgraded design to their mount.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by nevrnf
After doing some research on the HF brand I don't think it will work very well. The HF 150psi unit only has 1.35 cf of volume. The Smittybuilt 2781 is a 5.65cf. At 1cf it will probably only fill one 35" before it has to sit and cool down. \
Others that I have talked to that have used the HF compressor have stated when using it for 35's and going from 14psi to 30psi, that they have been able to fill the 3rd tire about 1/2 way before needing shut down and wait for cool down. This is one of the reasons I'm going to run 2 separate compressors.

With this fill method in mind.
1. Comp#1, Fill L/F tire
2. Comp#2, Fill R/F tire (While Comp#2 is working, Comp#1 is now off and cooling.)
3. Comp#1, Fill L/R tire (While Comp#1 is working, Comp#2 is now off and cooling.)
4. Comp#2, Fill R/R tire

Based upon others are reporting being able to fill up to 3 tires before needing to wait for cool down, I think this should work without having to worry about waiting for any cool down. I'm essentially using 1 compressor to fill up 2 tires with a cool down period thrown in there.

I got a $50 HF gift card for Christmas and will be picking up the 2nd compressor shortly. Then I'll start this project and post some pics of silicone sealing and mounting+wiring them.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nevrnf
After doing some research on the HF brand I don't think it will work very well. The HF 150psi unit only has 1.35 cf of volume.
I'm curious to what you learned in regards to the HF compressors. Is it just the lower CFM that is your concern?

Below are some pertinent reviews in regards to the Jeep crowd uses for the HF air compressor taken from the HF website. Also, having a conversation with another forum member who has had his for 4 years, he stated that he typically shoots it with a shot of WD-40 inside the motor cylinder by just unscrewing the air filter and spraying in the lubricant. The biggest complaint seems to be that it overheats after awhile which makes sense because it's not really a "maintenance free" compressor. In the owner's manual it says it will need to be lubricated after awhile. Which makes sense for some of the reviews stating it overheats. Making sure it's lubricated should keep it from overheating and extend it's life. Also taking into consideration that I'm going to mount 2 of these, that should eliminate other potential extended one-time use overheating concerns as well. Where 2 of these will still only cost $100, it seems like a good value solution that I'm going to continue to pursue.

Originally Posted by HF Reviews of 150psi compressor
Great Little Compact Compressor From The Jeep Crowd
In my previous Jeep I had built a very high PSI and volume compressor out of an AC pump that was amazing. Now onto my next Jeep I decided to take it a bit more mellow and wanted a quick solution for airing up tires at the end of the day. For airing up my 35" tires from 6PSI to 28PSI is about 4 minutes per tire. Not amazingly fast, but not annoyingly slow either. It is somewhat hot by the time I air up all 4 tires, but it isn't popping fuses or thermaling. For someone who wants something portable, affordable, and gets the job done, this will do the trick. For the price, the quality is excellent. It also comes with a carrying bag which I never saw noted here, that is a nice touch.

Great little compressor with a big job to do..does well!
When inflating my 35 inch tall Jeep tires, it brings them from 10 psi to 30 psi in about four minutes each. You do need to follow the instructions on hook-up as the little motor does not like to start when under a load. After three tires filled, be very careful as the compressor and the line quick connect get real hot! Suggest you move quickly between tires to get all done in the time allowed by the over heat switch built into the motor. Once the overheat switch trips, you need to wait about 30 minutes for cool-down. I bought this unit on sale and for under $60, a value that can't be beat!

Use to air up Tires on my Jeep

this thing was one of the best investments i have made as an offroader, it airs up all four of my 33' KO2's from 10 PSI to 40 in 10 minutes it's a workhorse!

150 psi 12v portable air compressor
For the last two winters friends and I head to the hills early in the morning to wheel in the deep snow. We stop and air down from approx 25 psi to between 3-10 psi on 32-10.50-15 and 33-12.50-15 tires. The little pump takes awhile to air each tire back up, but that's to be expected as its portable! I don't care how long it takes (my opinion) it's great, and way under the price of very similar if not identical "name brand" pumps. There are four pumps as of now with the group I go with. One was left out in inclement weather on accident for about a month and still does its job flawlessly. None Of them have failed us yet, and there are generally more vehicles than pumps, so they work hard. Longevity I obviously can't speak on just yet, but I'm sure adding compressor oil to the cylinder would lengthen its service life drastically. If it quit on me the next time I used it, I feel (to me) I've gotten my money's worth in two years. I would and have suggested (to friends) this to someone planning to use it for its intended use. It gets really hot so let it cool down after use, or I'd suggest NOT putting it in its carry case till it has cooled down rather somewhere fire safe, I set it in a safe place at the back of my jeep before heading home so I don't have to wait for it to cool down.

I love it for my jeep.

I fill up my 33x12.5 15 tires from 11psi to 34psi in less than five min. Ive used this pump at least twice a month for the last year. I soldered in new power wires and cut the air hose to add normal air tool fittings. (the ones it came with only allow you to use the supplied air hose): In hot weather it overheats and takes a little break before itll fill the last tire all the way. Add a 5gal air tank and I fill my buddies tires as well. not bad for such a low priced air compressor.

Works well for $75 or less
I use this for off roading in my jeep with 37" tires from 8-28lbs. It works, but it's slow and overheats on the 4th tire and I have to wait till it comes back on. If I go with 10 other guys I'm the last one aired up. It works but its slow. Not meant for such big tires but I thought about getting two to run at the same time. Still cheaper than other brands. I think it's good for the value.

Overheats
Using it to air up 33 inch tires after off-roading proved difficult. Pump overheats and trips offline after 2-3 tires. Had to wait to cool before continuing.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-26-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by karls10jk
These 150psi compressors are on sale at HF, I may go pick one up. Can we get some general direction of where to add the silicone? I'm liking the idea of mounting it under the spare tire carrier.
I took the HF compressor apart today. There's not much to it in regards to electronics. It's a DC Motor, with a Power switch, Fuse Holder, and a Thermal switch inside. If this thing dies due to electrical failure, the likely component would be the thermal switch where that can be bypassed pretty easily if needed.

Remove end cap where power switch is located. (4 screws/nuts)

Here's what I'm going to silicone seal.
1. Silicone seal opening around power cord inlet.
2. Disassemble fuse holder, silicone around holder, reassemble.
3. Pop out power switch, silicone around power switch, reassemble
4. Put a bead of silicone around end cap, reassemble.

That should help keep most of the water out around the electronics and cut down on any corrosion. Any water that would get in, would be from the opposite side through the air filter, where it would just need to be allowed to dry out and then lubricated.

And since I have it apart, I'm going to put some blue loctite on all the screws for reassembly.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-26-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rednroll my observations are from using my Viair which is just slightly higher CFM than the HF unit at 40 psi and how it works for filling tires. When filling you need CFM over PSI to fill an empty tire. Low CFM requires a high duty cycle to keep it running long enough to fill the large volume of the 35" tire.

Quick Reply: Portable Air Compressor outside of vehicle mounting