Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portable Air Compressor outside of vehicle mounting

Old 12-10-2016, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Portable Air Compressor outside of vehicle mounting

I recently purchased a 150psi portable air compressor. I've been considering taking the compressor apart, and then silicone sealing it to make the majority of the electronics in it more water resistant. Then I was considering mounting it under the JK, possibly mounting it to the inside of a frame rail. I was thinking the area just above the trans skid plate which would provide it some protection from objects bashing into it.

Aside from a total submersion of the compressor in water scenario, do you think this would work and be reliable?

I see most of the mounts for these compressors are either an under seat mount or up higher in the engine bay and I'm assuming those mounts are in those locations just to prevent the compressor from being exposed to water. However, even in the engine bay there is going to be water and moisture present. So is the real concern to just prevent/reduce the total submersion in water scenario? My thought here is that a portable air compressor is not much more than a DC motor. Well so are winches and the engine starter. Those items obviously don't need to suck in air to work but the electronics in them are similar to a compressor. So even in the event that a total submersion occurred, fully drying it out before using it may not destroy it.

Thoughts? Is there something I'm overlooking in even considering this?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a Viair compressor under 3 different vehicles over 7 years with no issues, but no under water driving. Mounted inside the jku for this reason.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Sub'd! The beach driving I do would be similar to the salt you'll see in Michigan.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the worst situation for this setup would be if you are powering lockers with it and the intake is under water when you turn the compressor on to engage the locker.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

No lockers at this time, just considering for tire re-inflate purposes. I have no air tools as well currently.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default just a thought

what about removing the tail light and mounting it in the void its pretty much enclosed in that area ?
Old 12-11-2016, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
what about removing the tail light and mounting it in the void its pretty much enclosed in that area ?
Not a bad idea. I'll check that out. I'm thinking the hole might be a little small for the compressor to fit through but worth a try. The main thing I'm looking for is convenience in filling up the tires. I would basically like to hit the on switch, grab the air hose and the hose be able to reach all 4 tires to fill. No winding up and getting tangled in wires and always ready to be used at a flick of the switch.

I'm also considering purchasing another compressor and mounting 2 (1 on each side) for a few reasons.
1. reduce the amount of heat build in the compressor due to filling up 4 tires.
2. having a backup available in case one fails.
3. fill tires up more quickly doing each side simultaneously
4. Not having to crawl under the Jeep with the air hose to reach the opposite side it is mounted.

However, before I buy the 2nd I wanted to check the reliability of mounting the 1st one outside the vehicle.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-11-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:01 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Maybe it depends on what compressor(s) you're talking about. I have the ARB dual compressor, and at $450-$500 I can't imagine mounting that thing under my jeep to get caked with all kinds of mud and water. LOL. Mine is mounted under my passenger seat, and is used to fill all 4 tires with no real hassle at all hose wise. If anything, why not mount it inside or in the engine bay, and then just route to a couple quick connects on either side of the interior if you don't want to mess with pulling the hose under the jeep or through the cab?
Old 12-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have any room under my seats. I keep items like jumper cables, towing hitch, gloves and winching supplies under my seats. I don't see much room under my hood as well since I moved my winch solenoid box and wireless controller there. I also don't like the idea of moving air hoses around hot engine parts. Seems like a likely scenario of melting an air hose and then the compressor is useless.

I'll be using the Harbor Freight 150psi air compressors which are basically Chinese knock-offs of the 400P Viair. With the HF 25% off coupon, they're $49 ea. So 2 of them for under $100 and therefore I'm willing to put the compressors in this location if it translates to being more convenient since I'm not spending $500 on a single air compressor and don't need to be overly concerned about destroying a $50 throw away compressor.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-14-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I don't have any room under my seats. I keep items like jumper cables, towing hitch, gloves and winching supplies under my seats. I don't see much room under my hood as well since I moved my winch solenoid box and wireless controller there. I also don't like the idea of moving air hoses around hot engine parts. Seems like a likely scenario of melting an air hose and then the compressor is useless.

I'll be using the Harbor Freight 150psi air compressors which are basically Chinese knock-offs of the 400P Viair. With the HF 25% off coupon, they're $49 ea. So 2 of them for under $100 and therefore I'm willing to put the compressors in this location if it translates to being more convenient since I'm not spending $500 on a single air compressor and don't need to be overly concerned about destroying a $50 throw away compressor.
Ever thought about raised floor in the rear? A lot of the stuff you mentioned keeping under your seat is stuff I keep in my trunk....one of the best mods I did. I realize we all have different builds, just throwing it out there.

Under-Floor Storage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Quick Reply: Portable Air Compressor outside of vehicle mounting