Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible front axle upgrades

Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Nitro" Sleeves. You pound them in and they are a great upgrade for just over a hundred bucks.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Not to disagree that there are many ways to beef up the front end, but care to explain what exactly (Dub23) and why exactly (KCCO JK) you'd do per the OP's request: "... since everything is already apart", which is a reference to installing new BJs?
I believe they are recommending the same thing you did, beefed up axle housing (you recommended sleeves, the kit provides a truss) and C gussets. Both of which are included in the armor kit plus LCA skids and a beefed up track bar bracket. Most of them aren't absolutely necessary but they are very nice to have. Especially the LCA skids and the C gussets.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
I believe they are recommending the same thing you did, beefed up axle housing (you recommended sleeves, the kit provides a truss) and C gussets. Both of which are included in the armor kit plus LCA skids and a beefed up track bar bracket. Most of them aren't absolutely necessary but they are very nice to have. Especially the LCA skids and the C gussets.
Yes, but I was tying to point out that OP didn't ask to beef up his axle. He asked what was smart to do while he had the BJs out. While the additions are good ideas, if it isn't necessary to tear apart the BJs to do them later, then why recommend them now? If there's a good reason, then I'm interested in knowing for myself. :-)
Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

He said he was looking for sort of cheap upgrades while the bj's were out.

To me, "sorta cheap" isn't $300 for the parts + $500 or $800 or whatever for the labor at shop rates, then hoping the installer knew what he was doing and got it welded to the cast diff correctly and didn't warp the entire housing. Sorta cheap might be gussets and hammer-in sleeves. Maybe?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:25 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf

To me, "sorta cheap" isn't $300 for the parts + $500 or $800 or whatever for the labor at shop rates, then hoping the installer knew what he was doing and got it welded to the cast diff correctly and didn't warp the entire housing. Sorta cheap might be gussets and hammer-in sleeves. Maybe?
LOL. You don't mince words. I was trying to say the same thing nicely.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

But you never know. Sorta cheap to some people could be settling for a PR44 instead of going for a PR60. This thread, I read sorta cheap as another hundred or two, not a thousand.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf

I would go with with artec axle truss kit its the within 100.00 of the price as a full gusset and sleeve kit "both require welding"! as for the sleeve kit i would get more info about what axles shaft limits it may or may not have. For instance can you still run 35 spline axles or even Rcv axles through them? there is also an outer clam style kit you can get instead of installing the inner sleeves, rse outer sleeve?

Just my opinion,

Last edited by Rub_My_Icon; 09-01-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cheap is a bit subjective... a $245 front armor kit is "cheaper" than a bent C or housing... and certainly compared to a front assembly upgrade 44 or 60...

Like many other threads - I hope this continues to give the OP different options and opinions to consider and investigate in their own... and NOT turn into a battle of post regarding who's opinion is more right.

Sent while my wife wasn't looking...
Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Nitro sleeves, Teraflex upper gussets, Synergy Ball joints, and a FOX ATS. It's very solid running my 35s.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all of the suggestions (this thread kind of exploded while i was at work),
I will be getting sleeves and gussets and installing them when I do the ball joints this week.

Quick Reply: possible front axle upgrades