Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Spun bearing-engine removal

Old 08-29-2016, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Spun bearing-engine removal

So I've got an 08 with 144000 on it. it's been using oil since forever. I know this and always keep it checked but something must have happened. It's displaying the sounds of a spun bearing. I'm going to just have the stock 3.8 rebuilt. I know the radiator and all the accessories have to be removed before I pull the engine out. Can the engine be pulled without the transmission? can i access all the bolts to separate it from the tranny. I have an automatic. I'm not questioning my ability to do thr=e job, just looking for tips to speed the job up.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2016, 02:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlend
So I've got an 08 with 144000 on it. it's been using oil since forever. I know this and always keep it checked but something must have happened. It's displaying the sounds of a spun bearing. I'm going to just have the stock 3.8 rebuilt. I know the radiator and all the accessories have to be removed before I pull the engine out. Can the engine be pulled without the transmission? can i access all the bolts to separate it from the tranny. I have an automatic. I'm not questioning my ability to do thr=e job, just looking for tips to speed the job up. Thanks
If it's a six speed you can undo it just need a good impact and a couple long extensions. Never touched an auto jk so my word can't count for much there.

Using a wobbler and a 12" extension makes it pretty easy. It helps if you have someone really small and light up top to guide you in.

The problem is they are essentially together. The trans either has to be slid back or the motor forward after removing the radiator. That's about all I can think that would be in the way.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

As sa29560 said, an impact and a few extensions make it pretty easy. Support the engine and drop the tranny down as far as you can, you will surprised at how much clearance you will have for tools and hands.
You can get it all out together, but i think it's far easier to pull the transmission then the engine separate. The transmission and transfer case store nicely under the jeep on the transmission jack.
Other tips, the harbor freight shop crane will be maxed out in up travel to get over the radiator and front clip if you don't remove. It's really worth the time to pull the clip off. A gantry crane like the one at harbor freight can make life way better if you have the means. It was $650 when I got mine.
Don't forget to support the front of the transmission when you separate. You don't want it tipping forwand and having your torque converter come crashing down.
You can remove your power steering pump from the accessory drive and leave all your fluid sealed. Just don't invert the reservoir.
Plan ahead for the a/c. You should have it evacuated before you start the job.
Getting it back in is the reverse. Don't forget about the harness strap that the top passenger side transmission bolt goes through. It can be a pain and will get in your way on reinstallation.
Triple check your grounds after install. If a ground strap looks funky, replace it now. It's no fun to have the shake down runs go fine then days later you have electrical gremlins to troubleshoot on the side of the highway.
Use dielectric grease on the harnesses. Especially check the tipm. On an 08 you will have a fair amount of crud.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm going to pull everything up front except the fenders. I'll be using an engine hoist so I hope I can get it out by removing the front wheels and letting the front end on the ground. Sounds like a pain no matter what. Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have stock fenders. You can take off the front quarter plannel and the fender will come off with it. It might make it easier to get to and work on pulling that bad boy out. It's like 6 bolts on each side. Kinda scarry that's all that holding it on there.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

It's actually not a bad job. If I can do it in my driveway, anyone can. The hard part is the ergonomics and working on your back. I highly recommend a good electric or air impact wrench.

Quick Reply: Possible Spun bearing-engine removal