Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powertank VS ARB compressor

Old 06-19-2015, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I have the Instant Air Supply kit as well. Real nice setup for the money.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
And best of all, it doubles as a usable shielding gas for your welder!
I was thinking portable air for plasma as well - like one of the smaller 110/220 dual voltage units like the hypertherm pm30 xp (my next purchase)
Old 06-19-2015, 11:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

ARB compressor for my lockers and back up air supply but fill my tires with Powertank. That tank is fast! Great to be able to run air tools also from it.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
..... My buddy has on air but he blew a fuse last time out don't know how often that happens .....
I don't know which compressor he got or how it was installed.
An ARB twin head on my previous Jeep, another one on my current Jeep and a third one on my sons' rig never had any problem, along years.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:41 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Ya never have to refill and ARB.

Always where you are, when you need it. Once less thing to check before you hit the trail.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tons of examples of OBA systems like the ARB failing. Happened to me at the Rubicon Trail so we had to run an obstacle without lockers and broke. I now have a backup system using my powertank if that happens again. Btw - cost to fill the tank is $13.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

We've used a powertank for the last 7 years and have been very happy with it. But, we are upgrading to a York under the hood compressor this summer. The only draw back of the power tank is wasting a lot of CO2. Our 10lb tank would fill our 35" tires from 10# to 35# in under a minute (per tire) and we could air up all 4 tires 4x's on the 10lbs and have a little CO2 to spare. Then with the 37" tires we could air up 3x with a bit more CO2 to spare. Now we are upgrading to 40" tires and it doesn't seem feasible any more. Since it was our only air supply when it got "low" (measured by weighing the tank) we would lose the left over CO2 unless we could use it up before our next outing. When you refill a CO2 tank you need to purge the left over CO2 prior to filling it. When you factor in the waste it gets expensive. My husband's truggy will get the power tank, it doesn't go out as often as the JK and it's not street legal so it doesn't need to air up to get home. It'll be more for emergency uses.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
CO2 for sure. Besides the obvious speed, it has numerous other benefits. How many times have you been stuck on a trail due to someone with a blown bead? And then that person doesn't have any air supply and someone then has the task of finding a way to get their Jeep around to that vehicle. You can just grab the tank and walk up. 3 minutes and you are on your way. They don't burn up or fail. You can actually run legit air tools (a 600 ft lb impact is noce to have on the trail for all kinds of issues). And best of all, it doubles as a usable shielding gas for your welder!

Running out of CO2 would be the same as running out of gas in your Jeep. You know how much is in there and if you choose to push it too far, you run out. There is a tear weight on the tank. Toss it on a scale and you will know how much is left. It takes me 10 minutes to get it filled. I'm 10 minutes down the road by the time the people I wheeled with are done airing up.

Btw, check out Instant Air Supply. Best kit for the price. I have the Poly setup and wish that Instant Air Supply had been around when I bought mine. No offense to others, but the price for the Power Tanks are crazy and not worth it. Oh, and I wouldn't go less than a 15lb tank. Same width as the 10, just a little taller.
Originally Posted by j_c_a
^ I have the Instant Air Supply kit as well. Real nice setup for the money.

Thanks for the shout out guys!
Old 06-21-2015, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for Instant Air Supply. More than haappy with mine!
Old 06-21-2015, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use scuba tank. Although it's larger than a Powertank, I can fill a tire in the same amount of time of a Powertank and cost only 5 dollars to refill. I can fill roughly 20-25 35" tires on one fill. I would go with a Powertank due to the reputation and support that goes along with it, I went with a scuba tank because I had one just lying around my house. Here is a picture of the set up:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2360874197.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	748.3 KB
ID:	615609  

Quick Reply: powertank VS ARB compressor