Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powertank VS ARB compressor

Old 06-18-2015, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powertank VS ARB compressor

I'm looking for a way to air back up and I've ruled out portable compressors for on board air. the arb compressor with evo mount was my first choice until i came upon the power tank. for the time being it would just be for airing up but i will eventually install lockers in the near future. which is the better option and why? thanks!
Old 06-18-2015, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run into the same issue on my vehicles with air suspension. Compressors can replenish the air supply on their own at a slow rate. If you run out of air, you wait a bit and you have more compressed air at your disposal. Air tanks offer a bunch of air really fast.....until they run out. Once you're out, you're out, and you have to make a trip to the welding supply store to either get filled up or trade for a full tank. My personal preference on my vehicles with air suspension and the route I'm going to go with my Jeep for air supply is a Nitrogen tank for the main air supply and a small compressor for backup....just in case. There are some good compressors out there that come in a fairly small package which can get your butt out of a pinch when the need arises. In an ideal setting, you'll never need to run your compressor, but if you do ever need it, you'll be glad you had it.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:51 AM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Powertank

I recently got a PowerTank and I love it. It is much faster than a 12V compressor. I can inflate a 35" tire from 10 psi to 30 psi in just over 1 minute. My compressor (not ARB) would take 4 to 5 minutes per tire and then would need to cool down after the 3rd tire. As for the lockers, they have kits to connect to air lockers (I have electric lockers, so doesn't apply to me). I also plan to move to their Monster Valves soon, so the deflation/inflation will be even faster.

But the thing that really sold me on PowerTank is the people. I met them in Moab this spring and they were so helpful and friendly, even after they had had a long day. They are a local (CA) company that has really researched and developed their products (hi pressure hoses, hi flow regulators, etc) to give us some of the best stuff out there. And they stand behind their products as well. I have nothing against ARB - they make great stuff also. I tried PowerTank first and don't regret it one bit.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by papajohn18
I'm looking for a way to air back up and I've ruled out portable compressors for on board air. the arb compressor with evo mount was my first choice until i came upon the power tank. for the time being it would just be for airing up but i will eventually install lockers in the near future. which is the better option and why? thanks!
I presume that by 'portable compressors' you mean slow, low CFM, single-head compressors.
Twin-head compressors are much quicker.
ARB offer their twin head as either fixed installation or as portable.
Twin heads are also good for air powered tools.
Refilling tanks is a chore.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

poly performance (synergy) makes a co2 kit way cheaper than powertank and it works real good. I have been running one for a few years now and I fill my tank maybe twice a year. I have had a portable compressor break on the trail and that sucks.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got a powertank and LOVE IT. i debated a lot on what to go with. but when i found a shop 3 blocks from work that refills co2 (not just a tank swap but refill) it pushed me over the edge to go co2. way too convenient, fast, versatile. also picked up the springtail solutions bracket and the final result looked like this:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2675.JPG
Views:	732
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	615240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2678.JPG
Views:	933
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	615241  
Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im running the on board ARB twin compressor and it fills up my tires in less than a minute each, mounted in the engine bay, with no issues. I can run air lockers in the future with a kit that ARB has as well.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Been there done that er sort of speak...I have the Arb under hood compressor and the Power Tank and wish I'd have just got the Power Tank to begin with. You can run lockers off of it, use it for trail repairs that require air tools like grinders, and fill tires in 1/3 the time. Arb OBA is good but you'll out grow it down road. The cost of filling the tank varies but in our area costs between $15-20 and it really pretty fast and easy. Just my others will have theirs as well...
Old 06-18-2015, 08:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the ARB air lockers and just the small compressor for them .... I ordered the Powertank system a couple weeks back and can't wait to get that in my jeep.... I already have the Monster Valves(every one who wheels should get these) airing down 37" tires from 30 psi to 5 psi (beadlocks) in like 15 seconds a tire!!!!! Just love it.... One mosquito bite instead of 10 lol ...... With these monster valves and Powertank I'll be airing up in like 30 seconds per tire so like 2 mosquito bites instead of 20 *wink* I'm keeping my Viair compressor tho for back up(and girlfriends truck, our bikes etc). Refilling tank no big deal I have a fire extinguisher place 3 blocks away. My buddy has on air but he blew a fuse last time out don't know how often that happens cause mine just runs my lockers ........ My vote Powertank with the Monster valves and if you can swing it(I know it's a lot of coin) but a compressor too for back up good luck

Last edited by robsjeep9; 06-18-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CO2 for sure. Besides the obvious speed, it has numerous other benefits. How many times have you been stuck on a trail due to someone with a blown bead? And then that person doesn't have any air supply and someone then has the task of finding a way to get their Jeep around to that vehicle. You can just grab the tank and walk up. 3 minutes and you are on your way. They don't burn up or fail. You can actually run legit air tools (a 600 ft lb impact is noce to have on the trail for all kinds of issues). And best of all, it doubles as a usable shielding gas for your welder!

Running out of CO2 would be the same as running out of gas in your Jeep. You know how much is in there and if you choose to push it too far, you run out. There is a tear weight on the tank. Toss it on a scale and you will know how much is left. It takes me 10 minutes to get it filled. I'm 10 minutes down the road by the time the people I wheeled with are done airing up.

Btw, check out Instant Air Supply. Best kit for the price. I have the Poly setup and wish that Instant Air Supply had been around when I bought mine. No offense to others, but the price for the Power Tanks are crazy and not worth it. Oh, and I wouldn't go less than a 15lb tank. Same width as the 10, just a little taller.

Quick Reply: powertank VS ARB compressor