Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro Rock 44, Rockjock 44, CORE 44, or ?

Old 02-08-2016, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Rock 44, Rockjock 44, CORE 44, or ?

I have taken the teeth off the ring gear in my Dana 30 for the second time in 2 years. winter wheeling and an air locker is not a good combo for the poor 30.
anyhow,I'm ready to swap front axles. I've been researching and I guess I not sure what all I'm reading.
I'm looking at the Pro Rock 44, the Rock Jock 44 and the Core 44.
My question is, do all these run factory spec carriers and axles? I plan on running RCV axles, and an air locker in it.
And I'm confused about the Rock Jock. I think I read that it runs a bigger ring & pinion? is this true?
It seems the Pro Rock seems to be the crowd favorite, but why? I'm not bashing it in any way. I'm just wondering why its better.
Also, is there another axle out there I should consider?
I'm running 35" tires now. If I do go bigger, 37" is as big as I would ever go.
I appreciate any and all advise I can get. Thanks.

P.S. I'll soon have some Dana 30 parts for sale!
Old 02-08-2016, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCTW
I have taken the teeth off the ring gear in my Dana 30 for the second time in 2 years. winter wheeling and an air locker is not a good combo for the poor 30.
anyhow,I'm ready to swap front axles. I've been researching and I guess I not sure what all I'm reading.
My question is, do all these run factory spec carriers and axles? I plan on running RCV axles, and an air locker in it.
And I'm confused about the Rock Jock. I think I read that it runs a bigger ring & pinion? is this true?
It seems the Pro Rock seems to be the crowd favorite, but why? I'm not bashing it in any way. I'm just wondering why its better.

Im running 38's on a PR 44 HD edition (bigger thicker tubes), but quite frankly I suspect I could do it on any of the other aftermarket 44's, so get what you can afford and you think looks good.

Also, I would skip the RCV's (disclaimer... I run them). I would call up Carbon Offroad and just get two sets of alloys for the same price. I believe they made a run of aftermarket sized 44 axles.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The Rockjock uses standard JK gears, it is just that all "JK" D44 gears are larger than previous models of D44.

There are several types of housings available.

Stock rubicon JK's have special housings that allow the use of the factory electronic locker, and they use axle shafts that are different length and spline count (can't use these in the rear d44 on non-rubicons). So for the rubicon owner, these manufacturers make a housing that will fit all of the stock rubicon parts.

For those without a rubicon, you order a housing that runs any standard (non-factory) locker, which will use standard length axle shafts.

Then there is the option of caster correction. You can get them set up like the stock housings, for people with minimal or no lift. Or you can get them with more separation, for people with taller lifts.

And then there are options for tube thickness and whatever else.

The ProRock is probably the favorite simply because it has been available the longest. Long before many of these other mfg's stepped up to the plate and designed theirs.

Other viable options may be an Ultimate 60, or a junkyard build. Depending on your skills and the prices you find, you could end up with a front junkyard d60 for less money than a 44, or an ultimate for not all that much more than these aftermarket 44's.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-08-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the Mopar performance D44HD/J8 housing and built my own from scratch.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:21 AM
JK Newbie

This could be another option, looks promising but not available yet...

New Axle Product - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Old 02-09-2016, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im having a ProRock 44 installed on my Jeep. I went with it based on a couple things. I've read several negative posts about Currie's customer service on various forums, Dynatrac has a good reputation, I like the fact that the PR44 is all made in the USA and I got a good price from Northridge 4x4. I had also considered the Teraflex 44. I really think any of them would probably be fine, just pick whatever works best for your budget.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Give us call at 866-601-5340. We build a lot of complete axles and can give you a good recommendation based on what lift height, type of terrain, and style of wheeling you do.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the TF44. I saw a video somewhere where they showed how they had re-engineered the entire housing and C's rather than just adding thicker tubes. The price was about the same as any other housing and it was available in the time that I needed it. Very happy with it but Im sure I would have been fine with a PR44 or RJ44 too.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Crap! Hate shearing those teeth off.

I like the Ultimate DANA 44..

The Ultimate Dana 44? Front Axle
Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mack2
This could be another option, looks promising but not available yet... New Axle Product - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Details
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1461482496.jpg
Views:	1980
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	637129   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1443474583.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	637130  

Quick Reply: Pro Rock 44, Rockjock 44, CORE 44, or ?