Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with the new Superchips Flashcal 3570 Update!!

Old 08-02-2014, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FlashCal Update

I have now had a few months to sort things out and here is where things stand.
To recap: '12 JK Rubicon that I lifted 3.5" and added 33" tires and some different wheels. Mileage and power suffered.
Got the FlashCal with the installed update to the FlashPac, recalibrated the speedo, put in the 88 octane tuning and saw a big improvement in the performance around town. City mileage hovers at around 15mpg. I checked things on a GPS and also manually figured the gas mileage so this is absolutely accurate. I have been hesitant to try any of the other tunes on this thing because well, you never know what can happen so leave well enough alone.
On the highway, the tranny still searches for power. On even a very minor hill it is kicking down into third at almost 5000rpm. This forces me to get off the gas and so there I go at 50 mph as everything flies past me. Frustrating!!! Mileage is about 16.5 on the highway. This is up from the pre-tuner numbers but down 3-4mpg from stock.
Now where do I go to get it more drivable on the road? I still have to get to places on the freeway. I don't think the FlashCal will let me mess with shift points but it sure seems like when I leave a stop sign in town this thing shifts into second at 15mph and into 3rd at 25mph which is waaay too soon for anyone's taste.
Many opinions on this site about regearing. 4Wheel Supply says I need to go to 4:88's to get back close to drivability and stop this violent upshifting on the freeway, hence helping the mileage rather than hurting it.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real quick, I would say that you need to enter fthe "real" tire diameter instead of the mfg advertised size. As an example, my 285/70 Duratracs had to be programmed at 31.5 inches to be dead -on with gps speed. My jeep doesn't downshift unless the hill is very long and steep. And my highway mpg is 18-19.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FlashCal Update

Originally Posted by Da10A
Real quick, I would say that you need to enter fthe "real" tire diameter instead of the mfg advertised size. As an example, my 285/70 Duratracs had to be programmed at 31.5 inches to be dead -on with gps speed. My jeep doesn't downshift unless the hill is very long and steep. And my highway mpg is 18-19.
Of course I did that...

Quick Reply: Problems with the new Superchips Flashcal 3570 Update!!