Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procharger kit for the JK: Any one running it?

Old 12-10-2016, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Procharger kit for the JK: Any one running it?

I have done a TONNN of searching… really wanting to pull the trigger on a forced induction setup for my 2012 Unlimited… Swapping out the gears next week (4.88's)… and then going to get either the RIPP kit or the Procharger (1JK214-sci) I want to go Centrifugal… now I have found A TON of info on the RIPP kits and very little on the procharger kits.. anyone running it? any feedback on the tuning/fitment etc…. I am one that loves the blower wine/Bypass noise as well as the noise at idle so I prefer loud over quite (hence why I have mud grapplers on my daily driver! and refuse to pay for Silcener kits for the BOV as well as Helical gears)…..

What I do know:
RIPP Utilizes the Vortech V3SC and is a very complete kit (including injectors tuner etc)
Prochargers uses the P1sc and is a complete kit as well (Injectors tuner etc)

Both seem to be very straight forward on the install (few hours and done!)

RIPP has been around the wrangler crowd much longer so I am wondering if they have the tuning down better, yet chatting with prochager they say they have it dialed in perfect (shifting timing cures etc)

I have personally had both blower brands… Had a V1 on my fox body and a D! on my 95 Mustang… Both very loud and very cool! LOL

My current mods
2012 Unlimited
3.6L
4 inches of lift total (1.25 body and 2.5 coil extension)
35 Nitto Mud grapplers (17 inch wheels)
Every light bar available LOL
Stock gears (changing soon)
Stock Exhaust thinking of grabbing the Flowmaster (single american Thunder) when I do the Forced induction...

So before I drop 6 G's on a setup, I want to here your thoughts

Last edited by Turbo306; 12-10-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo306
I have done a TONNN of searching… really wanting to pull the trigger on a forced induction setup for my 2012 Unlimited… Swapping out the gears next week (4.88's)… and then going to get either the RIPP kit or the Procharger (1JK214-sci) I want to go Centrifugal… now I have found A TON of info on the RIPP kits and very little on the procharger kits.. anyone running it? any feedback on the tuning/fitment etc…. I am one that loves the blower wine/Bypass noise as well as the noise at idle so I prefer loud over quite (hence why I have mud grapplers on my daily driver! and refuse to pay for Silcener kits for the BOV as well as Helical gears)….. What I do know: RIPP Utilizes the Vortech V3SC and is a very complete kit (including injectors tuner etc) Prochargers uses the P1sc and is a complete kit as well (Injectors tuner etc) Both seem to be very straight forward on the install (few hours and done!) RIPP has been around the wrangler crowd much longer so I am wondering if they have the tuning down better, yet chatting with prochager they say they have it dialed in perfect (shifting timing cures etc) I have personally had both blower brands… Had a V1 on my fox body and a D! on my 95 Mustang… Both very loud and very cool! LOL My current mods 2012 Unlimited 3.6L 4 inches of lift total (1.25 body and 2.5 coil extension) 35 Nitto Mud grapplers (17 inch wheels) Every light bar available LOL Stock gears (changing soon) Stock Exhaust thinking of grabbing the Flowmaster (single american Thunder) when I do the Forced induction... So before I drop 6 G's on a setup, I want to here your thoughts
I could not find any ProCharger owners back when I was researching forced induction for my 3.6 either.

ProCharger does have a solid reputation, my only concern would be the tune. RIPP is a known quantity regarding the tune. If you plan on dyno tuning, ProCharger might be the better option in terms of cost; I have seen some decent deals on eBay.

I can't see paying $6,000 for any forced induction kit. I was able to get my Magnuson with less than 10,000 miles on it from a reputable Jeeper off a different Jeep forum who upgraded to a 6.4 Hemi for less than 1/3 of retail cost.

You might be able to get a very good deal on a lightly used RIPP, or one that is coming up on scheduled rebuild service.

I suggest contacting MoTech, Bruiser, RPM Extreme, any other JK engine swap shops and ask about take-off RIPP superchargers. Carefully scanning the Jeep forums for V-8 swap threads might also get some leads. Superchargersonline.com is another great resource, and they so rebuilds.

As great as forced induction is, it is probably not as awesome as you might expect, especially with an automatic transmission. Most of the V-8 swap guy's that I communicated with were upgrading from forced induction setups.

I am trying to really push the limits of my Magnuson setup with as much boost as I can squeeze in, water-methanol to keep it cool, and a custom dyno tune. If I blow-up my powertrain, it will be an excuse to go MoTech for an LT1, maybe and LT4! Good luck with the hunt for the rights centrifugal supercharger!

Last edited by doc5339; 12-10-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Just found this YouTube on ProCharger installation in case you have not seen it:

https://youtu.be/5xYulmMzWqk
Old 12-11-2016, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Swap your axle first hah D30 with 450ish HP and 4.88 gears on 35's is going to break REALLLLY FAST.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by doc5339
Just found this YouTube on ProCharger installation in case you have not seen it:

https://youtu.be/5xYulmMzWqk

Yes sir! Did catch that… Seems like a simple install…
Old 12-11-2016, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GullandMichael
Swap your axle first hah D30 with 450ish HP and 4.88 gears on 35's is going to break REALLLLY FAST.
Had not considered axels yet… Damn one more thing to the mix… LOL
Old 12-12-2016, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Ok... so throughout my searching I stumbled across the Prodigy stage 2 kits.... Now that is in the mix... I LOVE turbo cars... so How would a turbo Jeep be?? Any insights on these kits...Install/reliability/longevity/Overheating (As this is my daily driver)

I know the price tag is steep... but I feel this has it all over a supercharger setup for these 3.6's
Old 12-12-2016, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Turbo306
Ok... so throughout my searching I stumbled across the Prodigy stage 2 kits.... Now that is in the mix... I LOVE turbo cars... so How would a turbo Jeep be?? Any insights on these kits...Install/reliability/longevity/Overheating (As this is my daily driver) I know the price tag is steep... but I feel this has it all over a supercharger setup for these 3.6's
UselessPickles is the guy to ask; he may be on this forum? He is definitely on JeepLab.com, and I thing WranglerForum.com

There are a couple good threads on JeepLab, and I believe some owners still have issues.

Prodigy Stage II is the best horsepower per dollar out of any available forced induction unless you do some custom mods and tuning.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by doc5339
UselessPickles is the guy to ask; he may be on this forum? He is definitely on JeepLab.com, and I thing WranglerForum.com

There are a couple good threads on JeepLab, and I believe some owners still have issues.

Prodigy Stage II is the best horsepower per dollar out of any available forced induction unless you do some custom mods and tuning.

Already PM'd him! Thanks for the heads though!!

Ya I'm trying to find issues with this kit, but such few people run them that the few that do are LOVING them... from what I understand they make the jeep "FUN" to drive... which is right up my alley...
Just 7K+ is a tuff pill to swallow for forced induction...
Old 12-12-2016, 09:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing that seems to be missing is what you use your Jeep for? If you off-road, a turbo is probably not the way to go. Excessive heat, which is something you want to avoid. Power comes in at higher RPM. And, there is the big down pipe that is just waiting to get taken out by a fallen tree.

If I where shopping for forced induction for a Jeep that would be used off-road and in crawling situations, it would be a roots style such as Edelbrock. Torque is boosted in low RPM and it is a much more linear power band. It may not have the peak HP of a turbo, but that doesn't mean the turbo is faster. Having more power across the entire power band is going to beat out something that wins on peak HP at 6k rpm. Think of it like a Tesla where the electric motors operate at full power instantly. Those cars have been whopping some butt at the drag strip against cars with significantly more power.

Quick Reply: Procharger kit for the JK: Any one running it?