Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procharger kit for the JK: Any one running it?

Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UselessPickles
The numbers you quote for the Hemi are at the crank. There's typically about 30-33% drivetrain loss observed on dynos, so that would come out to about 240 hp and 274 ft-lbs at the wheels. That will definitely not "walk around" my turbo jeep that's making about 425 hp and 415 ft-lbs at the wheels.

That's very... optimistic.

$1500 will probably get you a high mileage engine or one that needs some attention in one way or another before proceeding. Replacing a new low-mileage 3.6 V6 with an old high mileage small V8 that only makes about 26% more power seems pretty silly. Refurbished 5.7 Hemis are around $3000. But stilll... a lot of work for only 26% gain.

How can you sell your trans if you're reusing your trans And I doubt you'll sell a used 3.6 engine for $3k. Rubitrux sells used 3.6s for $2999 with free shipping. As a private seller, you'll have to undercut that to compete and you'll lose on the cost of shipping if you can't sell locally.

Conversion kits are more than $4k: [google shopping search link]

There's a lot more labor involved in a Hemi conversion compared to a bolt-on forced-induction kit. Forced induction kits are much more feasible as a weekend project for an amateur backyard mechanic. A v8 conversion requires another level of tools and skills that many people don't have.
I disagree with most of what you said. I'm certainly impressed that you are squeezing out over 600 hp at the crank in a stock engine (using your math, I think that puts you at 625 at the crank?). That does far exceed what the stock internal parts were designed to handle. Yes, the block can take it, but that's it. Easy does it on that little guy.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops, I made a mistake in a calculation in my previous post. I updated it with correct values for at-the-wheel power and gains over stock for the 5.7 Hemi.

Quick Reply: Procharger kit for the JK: Any one running it?