Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ProComp ES9000 vs Bilstein 5100s

Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProComp ES9000 vs Bilstein 5100s

Anybody out there convert from the Pro Comp ES9000 shocks to Bilstein 5100s? I bought a 4" Procomp lift with ES9000 shocks and the ride of my jeep isn't horrible, but its worse than stock. I feel every bump on the highway, and my girlfriend complains that she gets car sick because my jeep feels every bump and has flighty steering...

JKU Sport with 4" ProComp lift - lift is about 2000 miles old.

Would changing out ES9000 to Bilstens make a dramatic improvement?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by delsol5; 02-28-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by delsol5
Anybody out there convert from the Pro Comp ES9000 shocks to Bilstein 5100s? I bought a 4" Procomp lift with ES9000 shocks and the ride of my jeep isn't horrible, but its worse than stock. I feel every bump on the highway, and my girlfriend complains that she gets car sick because my jeep feels every bump and has flighty steering...

Thanks in advance!
I'll be honest with you I've never run either shock, but have heard the Bilstein's are spot on sso it may help. One question, what is your tire pressure set at? Tire pressures can also make a dramatic difference in the ride quality.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

and my girlfriend complains that she gets car sick because my jeep feels every bump and has flighty steering...
How does the jeep ride to you? Lower control arms could help with the flighty steering.

Just tell your gf you got new shocks and that's all you can do. They don't know the difference anyway. If she is still complaining and you don't have a lot of time in her, just dump her. Next thing you know she will want you to trade your jeep in on a nice car maybe a focus or bmw. lol.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Bilsteins are a much better shock. They should make a very noticable improvement.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

The Bilsteins are firm, but will ride much better than what you have now and are better quality
Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the procomp es9000's are old school twin tube hydro shocks and will not offer a good ride. the bilstein 5100's are modern monotube shocks that are valved for the JK and will offer a much nicer ride.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Thanks in advance!
Did you do front adjustable control arms with your lift?

4" is a lot! You most likely have caster issues where your front axle has moved towards the rear of your Jeep. adjustable control arms would help push the axle back forward an inch to an inch and a half to help get rid of the flighty feeling. Your other options would be the Control Arm relocation brackets from AEV or Rough Country. Your stability should increase a ton.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bilstein x3
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

I have run both shocks and the best thing about the es9000's, they can be tied together to make a decent boat anchor. Bilstein put a lot of time and effort in on the 5100 to make it a nice shock at a good price. Out of those 2 shocks .... Bilstein hands down.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Having both myself, and correcting at least part of it. You need to correct the castor on the lift to slay the "flightiness". For some reason 4wheelparts does NOT take this into account. As for the shocks, they suck. The Blistein's will help tremendously.

To correct the castor, you have a few choices.

Front Adjustable Lower Control Arms:
This will let you change the length of the "arms" that push the driveshaft and all the parts connected to it to a correct angle.

There's a write-up here: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ignment#caster

AEV has a solution with their Geometry Correction Brackets ($100): http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/...ckets-frt.html

Downside to the AEV solution is you lose (possibly) a little ground clearance. Front LCAs are WAY more expensive (looking at least $300 for good ones).

Quick Reply: ProComp ES9000 vs Bilstein 5100s