Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSC Ram Assist Hydraulic Issue

Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Correct. I have the WTO stage II system. They ported my steering gearbox, gave me hoses and the ram (1.5") set for my steering range and the ram mounting tabs. I do have a cooler installed but am using a completely OEM PS pump. I'm only running 35" KM2s ( will move to 37s on next set) so perhaps that's why this system is working so well. Not sure. I've already used it on the rocks and found it to be great. A side effect is that it's been great at negating crosswinds.
You mind posting up a couple pics of your setup?
Thanks.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JKZinger
Thanks.
Rather than hijack this thread, I'll get some pics and post them in a different thread. Be later tonight though.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Care to describe the initial problem with the WTO box on the highway? You say it wasn't driveable, but you fail to mention how so. Flighty feeling? Loose steering? Twitchy?
Old 05-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JKZinger
Thanks.

Okay, last post about mine in here. This is the info I think you and a couple others were asking me about - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-g...7/#post4213912
Old 05-05-2016, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a stock pump, solved most of my issues.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Correct. I have the WTO stage II system. They ported my steering gearbox, gave me hoses and the ram (1.5") set for my steering range and the ram mounting tabs. I do have a cooler installed but am using a completely OEM PS pump. I'm only running 35" KM2s ( will move to 37s on next set) so perhaps that's why this system is working so well. Not sure. I've already used it on the rocks and found it to be great. A side effect is that it's been great at negating crosswinds.
This is exactly what I am running with 37" KM2s. No problems here either. Running it for about 3 years now.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Monte417
There's no reason the WTO system should be driving like that on the highway. I've had my jeep up to 95 mph with one finger on the wheel. What size ram did WTO give you? Are you running the stock pump and res?
WTO gave me a 1.75" ram, it was suggested by them since I am running 40 inch tires.

X2 on this. I'm thinking you had(have) a problem before this. My WTO system is rock solid through 100mph. I have a 1.5" ram and the OEM pump ( no modification), OEM reservoir, and had WTO port my gearbox. No troubles at all with it.
Thats surely a possibility but my front axle was changed out for new, as well as all steering linkages and track bar. Tires all balanced. Axles centered, ran thru many caster angles, tried adding a little more toe in. Track bar and drap link parallel. This all helped but it still was not to my liking, didnt feel good/safe at higher speeds. Very twitchy, sensitive steering.

Originally Posted by SoK66
Same here. I'd suggest taking a deep dive into your basic alignment settings and steering components from the steering shaft out.
All new components, axle, started at about 4 degrees caster, worked up from there all the way to 9 degrees.

Originally Posted by Monte417
He could be using the aftermarket psc pump with the WTO 1.5 ram. That would explain the poor drive ability that's why i was asking which size ram and pump he is using. If he is using the psc pump he should be using a 1.75 ram
I am using the PSC pump, but never had the 1.5. Ive got the 1.75. The driving feel/steering never really seemed to change form the stock pump to the PSC. Only difference dicernible to me was the ability to steering much more quickly at idle.

Originally Posted by D_engel
Care to describe the initial problem with the WTO box on the highway? You say it wasn't driveable, but you fail to mention how so. Flighty feeling? Loose steering? Twitchy?
Yes, sorry, to say it was undriveable isnt really true, I had driven it at up to 75 many times for work purposes. The steering was just extremely sensitive and what I would describe as twitchy, it would react too much to very little steering input and I really didnt care for having to steering while barely touching the wheel. If a bump jarred me in the cab that would transfer to the steering wheel. Driving in gusting wind is always a pain in a jeep bump it was even scarier with the WTO setup, had to be very careful not to over correct if I had to.

I still have the WTO tapped box I was gonna keep as a backup so its not totally out of the running in terms of use to me.

Is it possible that my ram seals could have worn and thats allowing for movement in the steering wheel over bumps. I have noticed or at least perceived that the ram seems to take bumps better when I'm driving at 30-40, meaning less steering wheel movement. This could just be my imagination, I certainly havent been going over speed bumps at those speeds, but other bumps and ruts dont seem to be as big a deal as going over a speed bump or rut at 5 mph.

If there is still air in the system somewhere it would compress and allow the ram/steering wheel to move, I'm guessing. So, if trapped air is the issue it would have to be in the box, ram lines, and/or the ram itself to permit this symptom?

Oh...the steering shafts are as old as my 2008 jeep, and when the jeeps not running I can wiggle the wheel back and forth a decent amount. Theres no other movement in the box or forward from there. I dont think this affects my issues with the PSC setup but I guess its possible it could have contributed to the WTO experience.

Last edited by RECTEX; 05-05-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

I have the WTO Stage 2 kit on my 2008 JKU. I had some flighty steering, but I found the one of the Currie Anti-Rocks had the splines stripped, thus no sway bar. I changed everything all at once so it was a bit harder to determine what caused the steering issue.
Replaced the Anti-Rock arm and all is well.
I have a 1.5 inch ram and the stock power steering pump.

Quick Reply: PSC Ram Assist Hydraulic Issue