Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulsing Vibration @ Highway Speeds After New Tires Installed - Thoughts?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Umbra Vipera
Ours is an automatic.
For what's worth, I'm running 37" MTRs. Was running 35" Duratracs. The vibration didn't change. It also didn't start until long after the Duratracs went on. Sounds like it is not the transmission since you have an auto...

Last edited by Invest2m4; 04-24-2014 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
For what's worth, I'm running 37" MTRs. Was running 35" Duratracs. The vibration didn't change. It also didn't start until long after the Duratracs went on.

Sounds like it is the transmission since you have an auto...
I lowered tire pressure from 37 to 32 and my cyclical hum gets better. 65-75mph my wife says it sounds like a base drum. At 26psi I cant feel it. 26psi is what I crawl at. Factory 13 rubi wheels and tires.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

I did the chalk test on the new tires and found that at about 35 psi I had the best contact. So my cold pressure is actually closer to 33 psi so once the tires warm up a bit they're right in that 35 psi range.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LeeperJeeper
Did you make sure when you had the wheels installed that they removed the retaining clips from your wheel studs? If your wheels are lug centric these could cause you problems.
Not trying to be a turd or a master of the obvious, but... FWIW

In addition to the removal of retaining clips and cleaning the mounting surface, there may be one more thing so simple it might have been overlooked: When installing lug-centric wheels without hub rings, it is very important to tighten lugs progressively in a star pattern before final torquing. If one lug is torqued down tight by an installer before the others are seated, then it just may be that the lugs (and hub) are not all centered correctly in the wheel bores. You will get vibration from this, and eventually the lugs will loosen and the problem will get progressively worse; I have seen it happen when an installer is inexperienced or just plain in a hurry... it's worth a look.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Pulsing Vibration @ Highway Speeds After New Tires Installed - Thoughts?