Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-geared now this! Help!

Old 08-22-2015, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-geared now this! Help!

Re-geared at a 4x4 shop a few months back and started leaking diff oil out front passenger side. Figured seal was busted. Then I found metal in the oil when I went to change/re-fill. Decided to pull the passenger axle and saw this...the shop who did the work isn't helping me out, wont warranty parts or labor, what could be the root cause?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150822_113430 (1).jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	622255  

Last edited by MAJKF; 08-22-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Has not been taken off road, only highway, diff oil changed at break in period...
Old 08-22-2015, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

What size tires? It looks like you are putting a ton of stress on your axles.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

33's. Have not put any stress on the axle, just commuting. Hasn't been put in 4 wheel except once to test that it worked right after regear.

Last edited by MAJKF; 08-22-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jk axles spin constantly regardless of 4x4 engagement. I'd clean out the case, fix the seal, buy a new axle and run it. It almost looks like the axle wasnt fully seated in the carrier.

After you run for a while, pull the shaft and see what it looks like. My guess is pulling everything apart to fix the axle seal will resolve your problem anyway.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the shop messed up the inner seal during your regear, they should have fixed that during your 500 mile check up. And at that time should have noticed any defects in the shaft during that inspection. If they cleared it then I can understand them not looking to warranty anything now since things met the initial break in period. Like the other guy said, open it up, clean it really good, replace the seals, and the shaft. Run it for a few hundred miles and pull the shafts and recheck them.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by YETI-09
Sounds like the shop messed up the inner seal during your regear, they should have fixed that during your 500 mile check up. And at that time should have noticed any defects in the shaft during that inspection. If they cleared it then I can understand them not looking to warranty anything now since things met the initial break in period. Like the other guy said, open it up, clean it really good, replace the seals, and the shaft. Run it for a few hundred miles and pull the shafts and recheck them.
This shop doesnt provide inspection after break...unless you count paying 250 bucks. Regardless i was out of state for work. Did the post breakin check myself, the case look good, carrier, ring and gears looked good...but didnt have time over lunch to pull the shafts then.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

As White Snake said, it doesn't look like the axle was properly seated in the side gears? Maybe they left out the side or spider gear thrust washers?

I've seen over-torqued axles and they twist. They don't just lose teeth at the very end.

Very strange. Not at all normal for this to happen. Without further info, gotta blame your gear guy. I would offer him the option of making it right at no cost to you before you take it to a dealer and have them do it right and take them to court for out of pocket plus legal fees.

By the way, when you say "re-gear" was it only ring and pinion or was the carrier also changed?

Last edited by Sahara Lee; 08-23-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
As White Snake said, it doesn't look like the axle was properly seated in the side gears? Maybe they left out the side or spider gear thrust washers? I've seen over-torqued axles and they twist. They don't just lose teeth at the very end. Very strange. Not at all normal for this to happen. Without further info, gotta blame your gear guy. I would offer him the option of making it right at no cost to you before you take it to a dealer and have them do it right and take them to court for out of pocket plus legal fees. By the way, when you say "re-gear" was it only ring and pinion or was the carrier also changed?
White Snake??? Really. I'm not a 1980's rock band.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
White Snake??? Really. I'm not a 1980's rock band.
Sorry, time warped...

Quick Reply: Re-geared now this! Help!