Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear bumper decision - Ace Engineering vs. LOD

Old 07-07-2015, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BagOfDoorknobs
Yeah, I'm leaning toward the shorty myself. I can't find weights for either bumper on their web sites. Which one is lighter?
I have the ACE Pro Series rear bumper with the tire carrier and light option. The shipping weight for the bumper was 126 lbs and the tire carrier was another 75 lbs. The install was straight forward and it is very solid - no rattles or shakes. I really like the LED backup lights as well. I was able to find the Lifetime LED bar that fits in the slots for about $55 each on NuTrend. Here is the link in case you decide on this option;

Lifetime LED Lights Single Row LED Light Bar LLL30-5w-2700 - Nutrend.com

Also, if you go with ACE you can find distributors that will offer free shipping (like Northridge 4x4). If you order directly from ACE, the shipping gets pricey.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the LOD and it's a great bumper and tire carrier. Very well built and very good attention to detail. The mounting holes lined up so good it was as though they were drilled together! My only gripe is that grease oozes out from under the tire carrier where it mounts to the spindle and runs down the bumper. I have to constantly wipe it off even though it's been on for about 6 months and I haven't greased it since installation. Maybe I over greased it initially. It is annoying though.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sjd78
I've got the LOD and it's a great bumper and tire carrier. Very well built and very good attention to detail. The mounting holes lined up so good it was as though they were drilled together! My only gripe is that grease oozes out from under the tire carrier where it mounts to the spindle and runs down the bumper. I have to constantly wipe it off even though it's been on for about 6 months and I haven't greased it since installation. Maybe I over greased it initially. It is annoying though.
Mine hasn't leaked at all, did you install the brass washer on the spindle before you put the carrier on?
Old 07-07-2015, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a guy on here that is selling his ACE located in NJ. If that is the direction you wanted to go I would snatch that up if still available.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-b...r-more-323520/
Old 07-07-2015, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JCDriller
Mine hasn't leaked at all, did you install the brass washer on the spindle before you put the carrier on?
Yes sir I did.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JKUR2014
I have the ACE Pro Series rear bumper with the tire carrier and light option. The shipping weight for the bumper was 126 lbs and the tire carrier was another 75 lbs.
I don't have a rear bumper but seeing those numbers doesn't make me want to get one. 200lbs is lot of weight added just to carry a spare tire.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:06 AM
JK Super Freak

You're not going to go wrong with either, both are solid products. It all comes down to what you want out of it. When I bought my LOD Sig Series, it was one of the only ones that had the backup lights integrated into it and I wanted to be able to tow with it. I've since replaced the halogen lights with rigid flush duallys (now an LOD option), plus they have reduced some of the weight in the Gen 4 series. I don't run their tire carrier, I prefer to have the bumper and carrier separate (run Or-Fab tire carrier)...makes damage easier to replace a component, as opposed to a whole new bumper/carrier combo. ACE makes great parts also, and I've thought about changing mine out (I love the slant back tire carrier).
Old 08-14-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finally pulled the trigger on the ACE bumper from Northridge 4x4. I called during one of their sales and got a discount on the Lifetime LED lights. Install was pretty straightforward, although you do need a grinder to trim down the edge of the frame to accommodate the lights (the back of the lights bumps into the frame rail a bit). A few minutes of grinding sorted it out. Install took about 3 hours (I tend to go slow though). Now I'm wrestling with whether to wire the LED lights onto a seperate switch and the backup lights, or just a switch.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper decision - Ace Engineering vs. LOD