Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Bumpers with Integrated Hitches?

Old 04-07-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ace pro series bumper actually has the same tow rating as the factory hitch. Not sure why people say it doesn't, the ace website even says it "retains the factory tow rating." From personal experience, the ace pro series bumper and tire mount is a good set-up, plus it has the option if adding two 6" light provisions on both sides.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

I really like my M.O.R.E. bumper! It is a seriously strong piece of metal. It also doesn't creep so far forward around the side toward the tire,, so it will never rub. The only thing it doesn't have is the lights built in,, I cut my holes and inserted some cubes. What it does have that I love is the hinged attachment to the tailgate. Open the tailgate, and the tire goes with it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	544053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	544054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0548.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	544056  

Last edited by big dr; 04-07-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve913
I dont see why everyone hates smittybuilt. I had no issues installing mine, the finish is very durable, and I have recovered several vehicles with no issues. Its held on to the frame with 8 grade 8 bolts, and its all 1/4" steel plate. maybe because its not made in the US?
Not made in the USA is a big reason. I believe they are all 3/16 much like the rest of the bumpers you see. Why pay all that money for a product not built by Americans when you can pay $50 more and support the country you live in. Not trying to blast you by any means. Buy what you want...my 2 cents.

I built one that cost 1/4 of the fancy smitty built out of American made steel.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve913
I dont see why everyone hates smittybuilt. I had no issues installing mine, the finish is very durable, and I have recovered several vehicles with no issues. Its held on to the frame with 8 grade 8 bolts, and its all 1/4" steel plate. maybe because its not made in the US?
It comes down to quality. You put Chinese built product next to American made product and you will see the quality and design issues. Most of the Chinese built product will list mounting bracket thickness, but won't tell you that the majority of the structure is made if 1/8" or thinner. Don't even get me started on the welding! Most look like powder coated cat turds!
~Brian
Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the looks and the way the Best top rear bumper Works I like the way the tire carrier opens with the tailgate. Dose any one have one? Any comments on this bumper?
I built my own bumper and am thinking real hard about a tire carrier like this!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4007751657.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	544323  
Old 04-08-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matth
I like the looks and the way the Best top rear bumper Works I like the way the tire carrier opens with the tailgate. Dose any one have one? Any comments on this bumper?
I built my own bumper and am thinking real hard about a tire carrier like this!!
The tailgate mod is pretty easy to adapt to any bumper mounted carrier. Some 3/8 hiem joints and some stainless tubing. Cut out a couple brackets from some 3/16 stainless and do some math for geometry. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0959.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	544324Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	544325Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	544326

I still had the old latch on there but now its just a bump stop for the carrier so it doesn't use my tailgate to take up vibration.

Last edited by ChaoticJK; 04-08-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep! I like that mod. Yours looks good. Im going to put one together.
Thanks for the picts.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Guys! Really appreciate your input.

Im really leaning towards the JCR bumper, really like the look of it and love that i can add a tire carrier as my wallet allows.

Am I silly for wanting an integrated hitch, is the clearance issue of a steep approach angle a non issue with the stock hitch? Im sure im over thinking it, i just would like to keep dragging to a minimum on the trails.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

The hitch could drag at some point, but it could help save the exhaust too!
I have never been stuck because of my hitch! Oh well I take that back!! I got married !!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by big dr
I really like my M.O.R.E. bumper! It is a seriously strong piece of metal. It also doesn't creep so far forward around the side toward the tire,, so it will never rub. The only thing it doesn't have is the lights built in,, I cut my holes and inserted some cubes. What it does have that I love is the hinged attachment to the tailgate. Open the tailgate, and the tire goes with it!
I have had this bumper for 3 years and the powdercoat is absolutely aweful. This thing looks like its been on my jeep since I was born. It also took me a while to make the necessary adjustments for it to not creek, rattle and whatever other noises it can make. I would not reccommend this bumper to anyone. When I have some spare cash its getting replaced and getting thrown in the back of my cousins demo truck

Quick Reply: Rear Bumpers with Integrated Hitches?