Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear e-locker decided to $hit the bed?

Old 07-18-2016, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear e-locker decided to $hit the bed?

Quick background:

JKU, 37" MTRs, chromoly shafts, 5.13 gears & stock rear e-locker

The locker has been sticky for a bit but it would eventually disengage. Last month it stayed engaged for the whole weekend while I was wheeling so I took the rear cover off and manually pryed it open. Cleaned the diff out real good and engaged/disengaged the locker a few times and all was good. Went wheeling this past weekend and it won't disengage again. I manually pryed the locker into the open position through the fill hole but it's still engaged. Unplugged the wiring, disconnected the battery, rocked the jeep a few times (2 high, 4 high & 4 low), took the load off the rear wheels by jacking it up and beating on the diff with a BFH and nothing. The dash light is off but the thing is still engaged.

I am thinking it might be a bent shaft causing load issues on the carrier but I won't be able to pull my shafts until I get home in a week - currently working away from home.

Curious if anyone has any other ideas or experience. Has the locker finally shit the bed?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2016, 01:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you tried everything that I would have tried. Only thing left is to pull the shafts and test it with the cover off.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulled the rear end apart. Shafts are true & straight. Splines look great and the ring & pinion look like the day they were put in. Cleaned out the housing and tested the locker with the shafts in & out. Everything seemed to check out. I'll give it another wheeling trip and see what happens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1708072084.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	652777
Old 07-21-2016, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Rear e-locker decided to $hit the bed?

Odd that the dash light was off. If you're still running the stock electrical system the indicator should have either stayed illuminated or flashed. Of the two plugs going into the diff. One of them is the plunger that gives the system the status of the diff locker. Based on that signal the locker light is illuminated.

Quick Reply: Rear e-locker decided to $hit the bed?