Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Quarter Panel Cracking

Old 02-18-2015, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Quarter Panel Cracking

What's causing this crack on both sides of my Jeep? It's the seam between the rear quarter panel and rear corner. Thank you! I am hoping this is something Jeep will cover under warranty...

Is it just the paint? It is pretty deep.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg
Views:	3087
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	597504

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	597505
Old 02-18-2015, 09:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

That's a welded and sealed joint.
Definitely should be covered by warranty.
When they fix it, they should treat for corrosion inside that open joint before they reapply the vinyl sealant.

If you want to look at it to see what's going on, remove the tail light assembly to see the welded tabs.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-18-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:44 AM
Former Member

That sure doesn't look good. I'd be pulling the carpet sides and lights to get pics of what's going on before heading to dealer.
Something's weird there because it's two separate spot weld robots and two separate sealer robots that put that area together for both sides.
Makes me wonder if that rear end was repaired before you bought it.
Do you have any BODY mounted sliders or skids that may be taking a beating?

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 02-19-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default rear

Do you have anything attached to you rear tailgate? IF so I would remove it before taking it in for warranty..Keep us informed on the outcome.

Last edited by bdavid; 02-19-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

If I had to guess, I would say that has been in a accident before and had some bad repair work done.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We see this on JK's with certain imported rear bumpers that do not clear the tub in the corners. The JK's body on frame design uses rubber bushings to help you "float" on your frame. When an aftermarket rear bumper (frame mounted) makes contact with your tub (bushing mounted) you are creating a bumpstop with your bumper. Check underneath the rear corners to see if you've been contacting. If you have, that's most likely the cause. A few import bumper brands are notorious for this.

Looking at your first photo, it appears that your rear bumper does in fact come UNDER your tub in the corner. Could very well be the culprit.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could very well be the bumper, but I noticed in the picture it looks as though the metal along the side where the tail light is is uneven. It almost looks like someone tried to Bondo the area, but didn't sand evenly before repainting. Looks more like a repair job to me.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

I have read all the comments. I bought the Jeep brand new with 14 miles on it, so the idea of it being in an accident before I bought it is near impossible. Also, the bumper is made by Warn (not a cheap import). If the bumper caused this damage, I assume I would have a claim against Warn. The swing arm of the tire carrier is attached to the bumper itself and to the tailgate. (Image attached) 4 wheel parts did all the work and they mentioned never seeing this type of crack. The crack is happening on both sides of the Jeep, which also makes me believe it's a Jeep problem, not a bad repair job by Jeep from the 14 miles it had on it before I purchased it. (If the Jeep was repaired and sold new, we are talking about a huge claim against Jeep itself)

Name:	IMG_1342.jpg
Views:	2201
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	598235

What are my options here? If this is a Jeep problem, they will repair it. If it's not Jeep's problem, will this continue to happen, even if I have it repaired? Should I just put Crusher corners from PSC on the Jeep and move on?
Old 02-22-2015, 03:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WHTRUBI2014
I have read all the comments. I bought the Jeep brand new with 14 miles on it, so the idea of it being in an accident before I bought it is near impossible. Also, the bumper is made by Warn (not a cheap import). If the bumper caused this damage, I assume I would have a claim against Warn. The swing arm of the tire carrier is attached to the bumper itself and to the tailgate. (Image attached) 4 wheel parts did all the work and they mentioned never seeing this type of crack. The crack is happening on both sides of the Jeep, which also makes me believe it's a Jeep problem, not a bad repair job by Jeep from the 14 miles it had on it before I purchased it. (If the Jeep was repaired and sold new, we are talking about a huge claim against Jeep itself)

What are my options here? If this is a Jeep problem, they will repair it. If it's not Jeep's problem, will this continue to happen, even if I have it repaired? Should I just put Crusher corners from PSC on the Jeep and move on?
Have you looked inside to see what's up with the welded tabs?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default not to be a wise guy `~~~

But I don't think you have a case with Chrysler with a rear end modification / nor Warn either They sell these bumpers as off road parts for off road vehicles and that is up to you if you chose to turn the vehicle from stock to off road . just my take on it . Looks like you modded to soon if you want the warranty to stand up . Hope you get help on it but will be interesting to see who eats the cost . Maybe you backed into something and insurance will have to pay

looks modified all over to me, / lifted / bumpers/ ... nice looking though

the crack is opening from top down so it almost looks like a weight issue on the weld

Best wishes on a fix! btw : Some times they go for repair if they fall off the truck and still new . 14 miles means nothing
and they don't even have to say it was in accident either ( way back in time I bought a truck new , and found out it was hit in tailgait no miles on it . waxed it and the wax stained the paint due to improper paint job they repainted a new one but

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-23-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Quarter Panel Cracking